PDA

View Full Version : re: College vs. Non - income expectations

darin
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM
re: Kath's thread: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=15134

Got me thinking - what do you consider a 'good' income for somebody (not household) without a college degree, local area Cost of Living notwithstanding, I'd consider somebody without a degree making $100k to be a great' income. 75-99k would be 'pretty darn good'. 50-74K = doing pretty well. 40-50K = Average. Comfortably Making ends meet. Less than 40K = working hard to make ends meet.

For somebody with a degree I'd say things drop just a bit. For a Master's Degree holder, 100K wouldn't be 'very good' - but it would be 'good'. 74-99k would be 'well off', 50-74k would be 'doing pretty well', I'd expect a Master's degree holder to make more than 40-50K.

These are LOOSE lines, of course. How do you define 'good salary' in context of somebody's formal education?

Thoughts?

Kathianne
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM

Got me thinking - what do you consider a 'good' income for somebody (not household) without a college degree, local area Cost of Living notwithstanding, I'd consider somebody without a degree making $100k to be a great' income. 75-99k would be 'pretty darn good'. 50-74K = doing pretty well. 40-50K = Average. Comfortably Making ends meet. Less than 40K = working hard to make ends meet.

For somebody with a degree I'd say things drop just a bit. For a Master's Degree holder, 100K wouldn't be 'very good' - but it would be 'good'. 74-99k would be 'well off', 50-74k would be 'doing pretty well', I'd expect a Master's degree holder to make more than 40-50K.

These are LOOSE lines, of course. How do you define 'good salary' in context of somebody's formal education?

Thoughts?

Of course it depends on the position and where one lives. A teacher with a MS/MA here makes around $80k-110k depending on length of service. Public schools only. Without master's, lower by about $15-20k after 10 years.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Philly cops as an example of salary for a tough job that does not technically require a degree:

The current yearly salary for a Police Officer Recruit in the Police Academy is $38,481.

All candidates must have proof of their high school diploma or their final GED scores as part of their background. At this time the Phila. Police Department does not require a college degree. But many of our officers are either going back to finish a degree or going to college to start getting a degree. Also as part of the police training curriculum you will receive college credits upon graduation. Good reading and writing skills are essential in executing your duties as a police officer.

PostmodernProphet
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I think your numbers may be a bit high.....you may find certain folks doing well without a college education, but they are generally going to be skilled workers.....a manager at Best Buy for example may be making $50k a year, but for every manager there are going to be a hundred people working the floor for $20k.....

and a plumber, electrician, carpenter may be able to make $60k a year, but if there is a housing slump and nothing is going to be built, they may be making $15k.......

I recall graduating from law school and taking my first job with a firm in 1974.....I was paid $10.5k a year....I had been working as a welder part time to pay my student loans during college.....if I had been working full time as a welder in 1974, I would have made $15k a year......

Nukeman
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Thoughts?
Darrin, I think your numbers are dependent upon where you live! If you live in a lower income state you will not be making the bigger money. this is just my opinion but the rest of the US is not like the coasts. I think you will find this out with your new home....

darin
06-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Right - I understand how folk living in dif areas make different amounts - but when somebody says 'I make x/year' do you think that's GOOD or BAD based on their education? Even those in SOCAL would understand that for everybody but THEM, $100k/year is pretty good. So - divorce yourself from where you happen to live - or NOT...I guess I don't care....

So - based on where you live, what salaries are high and low for people w/ or w/o degrees?

My numbers were based on what I know of the cost of living here...AND in the previous location (Western WA state). $100k/year hear is Good. $100k/year back in Tacoma, WA is good, too! :)

:)

Discuss. :)

Hagbard Celine
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm on the low end of that spectrum, but I don't have a masters yet.

LiberalNation
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Depends on what you get your degree in. Some jobs want big degrees but don't pay all that much considering all the school around 40 to 60 grand a year.

06-11-2008, 06:42 PM
wow my pay sucks:(

manu1959
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
in 1982 i made 20 / hr as an apprentice carpenter

in 1984 i made 8 / hr as an "architect" with a 5 year degree / bach of architecture

5stringJeff
06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Education has something to do with it. So does time in the workforce. Only a few leave B-school with $100K jobs.

AFbombloader
06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
If you live within your means, do you really need to worry about what someone a thousand miles away makes? THere are so many variables to this equation you cannot complete it. Where you live, who you work fr. All of that changes the equation.

Me, I work for the same pay as everyone else with the same grade andtme in service. I do ok. When you add in all the benefits they tell me I get I do quite well. But you have to add in the health benefits and such. Straight on base pay I do not do good, But when you add in BAS and BAQ (food and housin) I do ok. As an 5-6 in the militsry I bring in around $50.000. Low on your scale, but surviving nicely.

AF:salute: