PDA

View Full Version : US life expectancy tops 78 as top diseases decline

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080611/ap_on_he_me/med_life_expectancy

TLANTA - For the first time, U.S. life expectancy has surpassed 78 years, the government reported Wednesday, although the United States continues to lag behind about 30 other countries in estimated life span.

The increase is due mainly to falling mortality rates in almost all the leading causes of death, federal health officials said. The average life expectancy for babies born in 2006 was about four months greater than for children born in 2005.

Hagbard Celine
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM
As long as we keep pumping ourselves full of high-fructose science syrup, expect it to go down. Oh, and most of the other "30" countries ahead of us in this area have a little contributing factor called "universal healthcare." Food for thought.

Little-Acorn
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM
I've often wondered about this. That's the average lifespan for everybody, including babies who die within 24 hours of birth, druggies, smokers, fat people, skinny people, teens who kill themselves racing cars, people who know Bill Clinton, everybody.

I wonder: If you just look at people who don't smoke, don't drink, don't do illegal drugs, and who have reached their 50th birthday... what's the average life expectancy for that group?

Where can I find out?

Hagbard Celine
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I've often wondered about this. That's the average lifespan for everybody, including babies who die within 24 hours of birth, druggies, smokers, fat people, skinny people, teens who kill themselves racing cars, everybody.

I wonder: If you just look at people who don't smoke, don't drink, don't do illegal drugs, and who have reached their 50th birthday... what's the average life expectancy for that group?

Where can I find out?

I think genetics is more a factor than any of those things. There are centagenarians everywhere who've smoked, drank and f*cked their way through life. It's like that guy who used to be the oldest guy in the UK a few years ago. When asked what his secret was, he said "Hard liquor and fast women." :laugh:

Gaffer
06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Its all a matter of luck. Some have more luck then others.

I'll live until I die.