PDA

View Full Version : So what about this guy

Sitarro
06-12-2008, 03:59 AM
He has a lot of great ideas, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPch2k63uj4

PostmodernProphet
06-12-2008, 05:30 AM
I repped you, now I want to rep Joe.....

midcan5
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Interesting and I agree with lots of it but I have to remind Joe he lives in a land in which the free market (supposedly) controls resources. He forgets that it is speculation and a weak dollar that contribute to energy costs today and what he proposes in the end is a sort of communist central planning scheme. Don't get me wrong I agree we need to wean ourselves off oil but to do that we need alternatives such as bike friendly places and excellent public transportation. Who is willing to pay for these things. He acts like Iraq would agree to such an idea, hardly something that would fly given the way we have destroyed their infrastructure. And if he wants to point fingers he needs to point at republican rule under Bush Cheney Delay etc as well as the other do nothings.

I also disagree that we ruin our planet because we are too damn stupid to have thought cheap energy would last forever in a developing world.

Sitarro
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Interesting and I agree with lots of it but I have to remind Joe he lives in a land in which the free market (supposedly) controls resources. He forgets that it is speculation and a weak dollar that contribute to energy costs today and what he proposes in the end is a sort of communist central planning scheme. Don't get me wrong I agree we need to wean ourselves off oil but to do that we need alternatives such as bike friendly places and excellent public transportation. Who is willing to pay for these things. He acts like Iraq would agree to such an idea, hardly something that would fly given the way we have destroyed their infrastructure. And if he wants to point fingers he needs to point at republican rule under Bush Cheney Delay etc as well as the other do nothings.

I also disagree that we ruin our planet because we are too damn stupid to have thought cheap energy would last forever in a developing world.

On one hand you say that the price of oil is caused by a weak dollar and speculation, then you turn around and say that we were stupid to think cheap energy would last forever. Which is it? If it wasn't for the dollar's weakness and speculation(George Soros funded attempt to destroy our economy) oil would be 60-70 dollars a barrel according to OPEC, sounds relatively inexpensive compared to what it is now.

Congress could easily take care of speculation in this country by enacting a prohibitive tax on this type of economy destroying action. If someone makes obscene profits pushing paper around at the detriment of our country, they get to share with the country the profits they are making for doing nothing, producing nothing, employing no one....... and it should be steep. The idiocy of Wall Street is beyond belief.

What do we do while these "bike friendly places" and great public transportation is developed? The airlines are about to go under, I would imagine the shipping industry is not far behind. It will be a surprise if cruise lines and overseas transportation can survive either since it takes a gallon of gas to get the Queen Mary Two to travel 49 feet.

PostmodernProphet
06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Congress could easily take care of speculation in this country by enacting a prohibitive tax on this type of economy destroying action. If someone makes obscene profits pushing paper around at the detriment of our country, they get to share with the country the profits they are making for doing nothing, producing nothing, employing no one....... and it should be steep. The idiocy of Wall Street is beyond belief.

there you go....I can live with a windfall profits tax on commodity investments......

Silver
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM

I take it you didn't like it that this 'regular Joe' didn't bash Bush and Repubs enough in this video....we do have an energy policy..
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/energy/

Now what has Congress done to help even a little to achieve it ? NOTHING..
and you know why I'll bet...because its obvious to everyone with no ax to grind....the Dims don't want to Bush to achieve anything that can be seen as good for the US while he is President...they will do everything in their power to block ideas that might be seen as Bush friendly..that is sadly, the face of politics in America today....like the crap about domestic drilling....
Anything that will lessen our imports of oil is good for us, and it would have and should have been done 25 years ago if it wasn't for the Dims....:fu:

Hagbard Celine
06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I take it you didn't like it that this 'regular Joe' didn't bash Bush and Repubs enough in this video....we do have an energy policy..
http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/energy/

Now what has Congress done to help even a little to achieve it ? NOTHING..
and you know why I'll bet...because its obvious to everyone with no ax to grind....the Dims don't want to Bush to achieve anything that can be seen as good for the US while he is President...they will do everything in their power to block ideas that might be seen as Bush friendly..that is sadly, the face of politics in America today....like the crap about domestic drilling....
Anything that will lessen our imports of oil is good for us, and it would have and should have been done 25 years ago if it wasn't for the Dims....:fu:

Drilling for oil in Alaska would be like putting a bandaid on an amputation. Conservative estimates put the amount of oil in Alaska at roughly 1.3 billion barrels. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs045-02/
The US consumes approximately 146 billion gallons of gas per YEAR. That means that the amount of oil we'd get from destroying the Alaska wildlife preserve would last us about 60 days. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question417.htm
Keep in mind that the lasting effects on wildlife and the environment in the preserve would last a lot longer than 60 days.

The answer isn't to drill in Alaska. It's to switch to alternate sources of energy such as solar, methane, LP and sugarcane ethanols and more efficient engine technology. Drilling isn't even a short term solution considering the long-term damage that would be done to the environment.

namvet
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't know who 'joe' really is but he's saying what ive said all along. the constipation for this problem IS in DC. I heard there is a pipeline running out of Iraq. where is it???? who's holding it up and why???. do I smell a profit rat??? its a good start to eliminating OPEC. which is my dream. and ive Emailed certain politicians and congressmen in my state and informed I will not be voting for them in nov. and why.
alternative sources. the equipment used to make it is oil based !!!!

MtnBiker
06-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Drilling for oil in Alaska would be like putting a bandaid on an amputation. Conservative estimates put the amount of oil in Alaska at roughly 1.3 billion barrels. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs045-02/
The US consumes approximately 146 billion gallons of gas per YEAR. That means that the amount of oil we'd get from destroying the Alaska wildlife preserve would last us about 60 days. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question417.htm
Keep in mind that the lasting effects on wildlife and the environment in the preserve would last a lot longer than 60 days.

The answer isn't to drill in Alaska. It's to switch to alternate sources of energy such as solar, methane, LP and sugarcane ethanols and more efficient engine technology. Drilling isn't even a short term solution considering the long-term damage that would be done to the environment.

I can understand taking a position against drilling, but this is not an honest arguement.

From your link;

A new USGS assessment concludes that NPRA holds signicantly greater petroleum resources than previously estimated. Technically recoverable, undiscovered oil beneath the Federal part of NPRA likely ranges between 5.9 and 13.2 billion barrels, with a mean (expected) value of 9.3 billion barrels. An estimated 1.3 to 5.6 billion barrels of those technically recoverable oil resources is economically recoverable at market prices of $22 to $30 per barrel.

That was about $100 dollars a barrel ago. That estimate is not relative anymore. With in increase of oil prices the economic feasiblity of recovering more oil is also increased. Couple that with the fact that no one source of oil would ever be used exclusively for our gasoline needs in the US, no one is arguing that. However the increase of supply overall would make an impact on price.

And by the way you only sited the NPRA estimate, you did not include ANWR;

Assessment Results
The total quantity of technically recoverable oil within the entire assessment area is estimated to be between 5.7 and 16.0 billion barrels (95-percent and 5-percent probability range), with a mean value of 10.4 billion barrels. Technically recoverable oil within the ANWR 1002 area (excluding State and Native areas) is estimated to be between 4.3 and 11.8 billion barrels (95- and 5-percent probability range), with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels (table 1).

Quantities of technically recoverable oil are not expected to be uniformly distributed throughout the ANWR 1002 area. The undeformed area (fig. 2) is estimated to contain between 3.4 and 10.2 billion barrels of oil (BBO) (95- and 5-percent probability), with a mean of 6.4 BBO. The deformed area (fig. 2) is estimated to contain between 0 and 3.2 BBO (95- and 5-percent probability), with a mean of 1.2 BBO.

Figure 5 shows the expected numbers of accumulations and volumes of technically recoverable oil grouped by accumulation-size class. It shows that most of the oil is estimated to occur in accumulations that exceed 100 million barrels, the size of recently developed north Alaskan stand-alone accumulations. Moreover, at the mean, nearly 80 percent of the oil is thought to occur in the western part of the ANWR 1002 area, which is closest to existing infrastructure. Volumes of oil are expected to occur as several accumulations rather than a single large accumulation.

Commercial viability of a discovery depends on oil price, accumulation size, recovery technology, and proximity to existing infrastructure (pipelines, etc.). The economic analysis presents the cost of transforming technically recoverable resources into producible proved reserves—it shows the market price that would have to be paid to find, develop, produce, and transport to market (lower 48 West Coast) any particular quantity of assessed oil assuming current technology and existing scientific understanding. Figure 6, which is based on the field-size distributions associated with the mean, 95-, and 5-percent probability oil estimates, summarizes the findings of the economic analysis. The cost functions are calculated in constant 1996 dollars and are based on the expectation that production will repay all operating costs, including taxes and transport to market, all investment expenditures, and provide and an after-tax rate of return of at least 12 percent on the investment.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-0028-01/fs-0028-01.htm

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-0028-01/image1.gif

midcan5
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Taxes and no mention of the market? You sure you guys are conservatives? We have built an infrastructure dependent on the car and we are suffering the consequences. It could be this bubble - actually it will end and when it does we will be back to who cares. There is little support for better systems of transportation, seems the Europeans are ahead of us in this area as their metro systems are quite interesting. But gas prices there have been high for some time, so often humans talk the talk, but it is only when no other solution exists that sense reigns.

namvet
06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
The Five: Places to Drill:
Where we can get oil and natural gas now...............but

whats in the way (whats in the way)