PDA

View Full Version : School Defends Drunken Driving Hoax

stephanie
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Wtf?

Students Say School Shouldn't Play With Emotions

POSTED: 6:22 pm EDT June 12, 2008
UPDATED: 6:47 pm EDT June 12, 2008

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- School officials in Oceanside, Calif., are defending a scared-straight exercise that sent some El Camino High School students into hysterics.

One Monday last month, California Highway Patrol officers went to 20 classrooms and delivered the grim news that several students had been killed in drunken driving car crashes over the weekend.

The news devastated Michelle de Gracia, who says she was nauseated and too stunned to cry. Others in her physics class were so upset that the teacher had to tell them it was all staged. Then they became angry. De Gracia said, "They got the shock they wanted."

A 15-year-old student said that while she feels "betrayed" by her teachers and school administrators, she also feels that "if it saves one life, it's worth it." Others disagree. During assemblies after the hoax, some students held up posters reading, "Death is real. Don't play with our emotions."

Camino High guidance counselor Lori Tauber said, "We wanted them to be traumatized."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/education/16590892/detail.html

LiberalNation
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
That is just plain stupid.

Lying to someone about something so close to heart will just piss them off and the message will be totally lost in that.

hjmick
06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
That's some sick shit. While I agree with the message, I can't say I like their tactics.

My Winter Storm
06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
What a pathetic way to push a message on students. The message was in good faith, but to do that to students? I can't believe those people think it was acceptable.

diuretic
06-13-2008, 05:20 AM
PPP - piss poor pedagogy.

hjmick
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
PPP - piss poor pedagogy.

Made me look up "pedagogy." :slap:

diuretic
06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Made me look up "pedagogy." :slap:

:laugh2:

Yurt
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
under the law, joking about death is "per se" wrong, there are just a few things that are off limits when it comes to pranks...

effing disgusting

the only way to stop drunk driving is to increase the punishment... most drunks are of course too drunk to care about their actions when they get behind the wheel, but i guarantee you that if the punishment were far stricter, DUI's were decrease exponentially.

btw, DUI law is actually very lucrative...something is wrong with that picture

Psychoblues
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
It is apparent that you enjoy the silliness over the substance, yurt. How did you miss the Tim Russert thread?

Yurt
06-13-2008, 08:28 PM
It is apparent that you enjoy the silliness over the substance, yurt. How did you miss the Tim Russert thread?

gulp, howz that malt liquor....i didn't miss it

and what are you trying to *hick* say? :laugh2:

Psychoblues
06-13-2008, 08:51 PM
It's tough to bring it down to your level, yuk, but I'll try.

gulp, howz that malt liquor....i didn't miss it

and what are you trying to *hick* say? :laugh2:

Why do you want to be so silly? Obviously professional humor is not your forte'. You haven't been trying to horn in on the genuine comedians in your local comedy club, have you? Non-professionals like you have a great future with gwb. Email him. He may need you next January!!!!!!!!!!!

Yurt
06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
It's tough to bring it down to your level, yuk, but I'll try.

Why do you want to be so silly? Obviously professional humor is not your forte'. You haven't been trying to horn in on the genuine comedians in your local comedy club, have you? Non-professionals like you have a great future with gwb. Email him. He may need you next January!!!!!!!!!!!

eh, um, ah, stuff... so you support this learning experience???? and wtf does gwb have to do with this thread genius....:laugh2:

diuretic
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I wonder if the kids could sue for nervous shock?

Psychoblues
06-16-2008, 01:59 AM
:laugh2:

I wonder if the kids could sue for nervous shock?

Are you considering a lawsuit, doc?