PDA

View Full Version : IronMan

darin
06-13-2008, 07:34 AM
**Possible Spoilers***

I'd hoped to have gone into this movie with an open mind, but expected to be disappointed.

Robert Downey Jr. plays a bill-gates-kinda-rich Inventor. he's the son of a Weapon's designer, and has inherited both the creativity/genius and the family business.

While doing a weapon demo in Afghanistan he's captured by terrorists. While they don't SAY they are Muslim dudes...we all know they are. Just before he's captured, and blacks out he sees a bomb land near him - and what does he notice? OF COURSE he sees his company's logo. The bomb thing explodes and allegedly leaves shrapnel inside his body. Because he's been injured in the attempt to capture him, a fellow prisoner (who HAPPENS to be a doctor) creates an electro magnet powered by a Car battery, attached to Downey's chest. The idea is the magnet serves to hold the shrapnel from entering his heart and causing his death.

The Islamic Terrorists "force" Downey to build a missile they intend to use against the Americans. Instead of building the missile Downey builds a suit that shoots fire and what-not. He escapes and vows to use his powers of design for GOOD.

After creating the new suit Downey flies back to Afghanistan and kicks the collective arses of the terrorists who held him and destroys one of their weapons caches.

yadda-yadda-yadda - he ends up facing this nemesis - the guy who arranged his kidnapping. By this time, the nemesis has a suit of his own and they battle it out to the happy ending.

Downey does a SPECTACULAR Job in this movie. I mean, if there's a break-through performance for ex druggie actors, this is IT. VERY well done. Downey's assistant is played very convincingly by Whatsername...blonde, leggy...hrm...Gwenyth Paltrow. They share a chemistry that I found palatable. Gwen looks positively stunning in this film VERY sexy.

I give this movie 3.25 stars out of 4 in the "superhero" genre. I liked Transformers better, perhaps. One has to suspend reason SEVERAL times as the plot sort of jumps...but all-in-all, I thought it was VERY VERY worth my money to see. The in-movie Ads for Audi sorta piss me off...

crin63
06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Downey does a SPECTACULAR Job in this movie. I mean, if there's a break-through performance for ex druggie actors, this is IT. VERY well done. Downey's assistant is played very convincingly by Whatsername...blonde, leggy...hrm...Gwenyth Paltrow. They share a chemistry that I found palatable. Gwen looks positively stunning in this film VERY sexy.

I give this movie 3.25 stars out of 4 in the "superhero" genre. I liked Transformers better, perhaps. One has to suspend reason SEVERAL times as the plot sort of jumps...but all-in-all, I thought it was VERY VERY worth my money to see. The in-movie Ads for Audi sorta piss me off...

Spot On, Excellent assessment. I really did enjoy the movie. I saw it twice and then found out the trailer for the 2nd one was at the end of the credits.

Hagbard Celine
06-13-2008, 09:27 AM
This movie was freakin' awesome. SEE IT.

06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Saw it twice. I didnt think that seeing Samuel L. at the end was worth staying through the credits. But I definitely liked it.

theHawk
06-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I give this movie 3.25 stars out of 4 in the "superhero" genre. I liked Transformers better, perhaps.

OMG, don't compare Iron Man to that Michael Bay garbage! That was the biggest hyped up canned Hollywood garbage film I've ever seen in my life.

DragonStryk72
06-15-2008, 01:41 AM
**Possible Spoilers***

I'd hoped to have gone into this movie with an open mind, but expected to be disappointed.

Robert Downey Jr. plays a bill-gates-kinda-rich Inventor. he's the son of a Weapon's designer, and has inherited both the creativity/genius and the family business.

While doing a weapon demo in Afghanistan he's captured by terrorists. While they don't SAY they are Muslim dudes...we all know they are. Just before he's captured, and blacks out he sees a bomb land near him - and what does he notice? OF COURSE he sees his company's logo. The bomb thing explodes and allegedly leaves shrapnel inside his body. Because he's been injured in the attempt to capture him, a fellow prisoner (who HAPPENS to be a doctor) creates an electro magnet powered by a Car battery, attached to Downey's chest. The idea is the magnet serves to hold the shrapnel from entering his heart and causing his death.

The Islamic Terrorists "force" Downey to build a missile they intend to use against the Americans. Instead of building the missile Downey builds a suit that shoots fire and what-not. He escapes and vows to use his powers of design for GOOD.

After creating the new suit Downey flies back to Afghanistan and kicks the collective arses of the terrorists who held him and destroys one of their weapons caches.

yadda-yadda-yadda - he ends up facing this nemesis - the guy who arranged his kidnapping. By this time, the nemesis has a suit of his own and they battle it out to the happy ending.

Actually, just a single tidbit, they actually used a very real plotline from the Iron Man comic book series, which occurred long before the current world situation.