PDA

View Full Version : Today's the day

gabosaurus
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
When my husband and my brother-in-law get off work today, it will be time to pick up my daughter and bring her home for good. I will officially become a parent.
That old saying comes to mind -- "today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Scared shitless does not even begin to describe my current state of mind. :eek:

Hagbard Celine
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Why are you going to pick her up? If you've already explained this elsewhere I apologize. I must've missed it.

I'll hold back on the "baby store" jokes for the time being. :)

hjmick
06-13-2008, 11:41 AM
When my husband and my brother-in-law get off work today, it will be time to pick up my daughter and bring her home for good. I will officially become a parent.
That old saying comes to mind -- "today is the first day of the rest of your life."

And so begins your journey...

Kathianne
06-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Good luck Gabby and congratulations!

Monkeybone
06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
that's awesome Gabs. Hope that the weekend goes great.

Why are you going to pick her up? If you've already explained this elsewhere I apologize. I must've missed it.

I'll hold back on the "baby store" jokes for the time being. :)

adoption Hags

Hagbard Celine
06-13-2008, 11:56 AM
that's awesome Gabs. Hope that the weekend goes great.

adoption Hags

Ah. I speculated that it was either that or a preemie getting taken-home from the hospitals.

Congrats to the new mom.
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/graphicslib/thumbs/3172/SITours/champagne-celebration-sunset-cruise-in-key-west-1.jpg

Abbey Marie
06-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Congrats, Gab! It's going to be a whirlwind. Before you know it, she'll be driving, and asking for Abercrombie gift cards.

Just take it one day at a time.

Yurt
06-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Congrats, Gab! It's going to be a whirlwind. Before you know it, she'll be driving, and asking for Abercrombie gift cards. Just take it one day at a time.

:lol: and sephora unlimited credit cards

gabosaurus
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
She is a seven-year-old girl named Danielle. A very inquisitive one at that. Her new relatives are already totally smitten.

I wish everything could go as smooth as our adoption hearing on Wednesday. I had friends and relatives fly in from all over the country. The judge entered the court room precisely at 2 p.m. It was over in less than 15 minutes.
I don't remember the last time I broke down and cried in public. My legs gave way and my husband had to hold me up. I am sure I bawled all over our high-dollar attorney's expensive suit (we didn't pay him anything, thank goodness).
I went to hug Danielle and she wasn't there. Minor freakout moment. The bailiff told me that Danielle had requested to go thank the judge. And so she did. :)

We already have all her furniture and such. All that is left is to move her personal items, which primarily consist of her collection of stuffed horses.

What totally got me was my husband secretly arranging the traveling and housing arranged for several friends and relatives who came in. His sisters (from Las Vegas and Minneapolis), my best friend Beth from Austin, my cousin David and my aunt and uncle (all from Dallas) and a close friend of my sister from New York.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. :D

Trinity
06-13-2008, 06:36 PM
She is a seven-year-old girl named Danielle. A very inquisitive one at that. Her new relatives are already totally smitten.

I wish everything could go as smooth as our adoption hearing on Wednesday. I had friends and relatives fly in from all over the country. The judge entered the court room precisely at 2 p.m. It was over in less than 15 minutes.
I don't remember the last time I broke down and cried in public. My legs gave way and my husband had to hold me up. I am sure I bawled all over our high-dollar attorney's expensive suit (we didn't pay him anything, thank goodness).
I went to hug Danielle and she wasn't there. Minor freakout moment. The bailiff told me that Danielle had requested to go thank the judge. And so she did. :)

We already have all her furniture and such. All that is left is to move her personal items, which primarily consist of her collection of stuffed horses.

What totally got me was my husband secretly arranging the traveling and housing arranged for several friends and relatives who came in. His sisters (from Las Vegas and Minneapolis), my best friend Beth from Austin, my cousin David and my aunt and uncle (all from Dallas) and a close friend of my sister from New York.

Congrats!!! Get use to the freak out moments, there will be many more to come.

Yurt
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM

moving story. if it is not to invasive, i would be interested in why she went to the judge and thanked him/her. that is an amazing story. without knowing more, IMO, to this girl the legal system essentially set her free, gave her a life she only dreamed of. i really don't know if i am right, but i can't imagine why she thanked the judge. what thoughts must be going on in her head. what must it be like to require a legal system to give you parents....

the fact she went and thanked the judge on her own....she is strong person

06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
welcome to the beginning of your journey to conservatism.

hjmick
06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
welcome to the beginning of your journey to conservatism.

I almost said that, but I didn't want to scare her. :lmao:

midcan5
06-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Congratulations. As perfect parents with perfect children who are starting to raise perfect children, I can only say be flexible within limits. How's that for profundity. My wife's answer, a perfect mother, is do the opposite of what your parents did. Obviously they weren't perfect. But what if they were. LOL Each child is different and each requires different things, you'll know when you get there or you'll make the best choice you can. Good luck, have fun and do things together, it is imitation (maybe order, a second thought) that works best.

PostmodernProphet
06-14-2008, 09:13 AM
"today is the first day of the rest of your life."

even bigger, the rest of hers.....just slog through it gabs, you'll screw up here and there....otherwise you wouldn't be a good parent.....she needs to learn how to deal with screwed up parents just like the rest of us did......

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 11:58 AM
The first thing you learn is that the child has many, many questions. We haven't encountered the ones we can't (or don't want to) answer yet, but I am sure those will come soon.

Taking my daughter home was an exhilarating experience. To think about all the work my husband and I had done over the last couple of years, and we finally achieve the payoff (the administrator at the foster home said "think of it as an 18-month pregnancy").

At the present time, my daughter is brushing her beloved collection of stuffed horses. Apparently they need to be groomed every day. She has conversations with them as well. Last night, they were learning about their new home, in her room.

She still doesn't understand why our cat is hiding from her. Cats don't care for new people. It takes them a while to warm up.
Danielle is now officially "Daddy's Princess." My husband said that, since the cat's name is Prince, she must be the princess. She quite likes this idea.

Sunday will be Father's Day. We are going out later to buy dad a card. She just wants a card now, since "she doesn't know what daddy likes yet."
My sister is off on Monday, so Danielle will be off to spend some quality time with her aunt in East Los Angeles. This is quite exciting, since "everyone speaks Spanish!" :)
Danielle especially want to visit the grocery store where they cut meat. The meat cutter and the owner from the small store where my sister shops came to our adoption celebration on Wednesday.

I was just as curious as anyone about why Danielle wanted to talk to the judge. She said she wanted to think him "for giving her a mommy and daddy."
If I hadn't already been crying, surely I would have started. :)

Abbey Marie
06-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Just my opinion, Gab, but I would tell her that God gave her new parents, and used the judge to make it happen. :)

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Danielle will be attending church for the first time on Sunday. It was her decision to go. She wants to know "what God is all about." :)

Abbey Marie
06-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Danielle will be attending church for the first time on Sunday. It was her decision to go. She wants to know "what God is all about." :)

That's cool. She's such a little sponge!

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
That's cool. She's such a little sponge!

That is something I was told by the foster home people. Danielle is very inquisitive and loves to ask questions. If you let her in on a conversation, she will soak up everything and ask you about it later.
When we go to greet the pastor after the service, I will try to be at the end of the line. So no one has to wait while Danielle interrogates him. :p

Yurt
06-14-2008, 09:52 PM
That is something I was told by the foster home people. Danielle is very inquisitive and loves to ask questions. If you let her in on a conversation, she will soak up everything and ask you about it later.
When we go to greet the pastor after the service, I will try to be at the end of the line. So no one has to wait while Danielle interrogates him. :p

hmmmmmmmm, you're making me almost want to have to kids or adopt them, something i would never consider doing, until your story...

gabosaurus
06-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the saying goes "kids are a window on your soul."
Or, better yet, "show me a lifeless curmudgeon and I will show you someone who has never known a young child."

As I learned in one of the endless parenting sessions, children are not for everyone. One of the instructors said "I wish there were the same requirements for having children as adopting them. Then we could find the bad parents and revoke their licenses."

Don't consider having or adopting children unless you are ready for a 24/7 commitment that never ends. If you don't like your child, there are no returns or exchanges. You can divorce your spouse, but not your child. How you treat your child when he/she is growing up will often directly affect how they treat you when you are getting old.

One of my favorites: Kids start out believing their parents know everything. This process stops around puberty, when the general wisdom of parents rapidly decreases. By the middle to late teen years, the tables are reversed: the kid knows everything and the parents knows nothing. As the kid reaches adulthood and goes out on his or her own, the parents begin to regain their wisdom.

Also: Kids are like a cheap steakhouse. They never turn out like you order them. :lmao:

Said1
06-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Yes. Very funny.

I guess you won't be posting and starting threads as much anymore. Now that you have a life, family and a job and stuff....like you said? Or are we going to get a copy of the daily agenda, daily? :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Always a possibility. :lmao:

I am starting to feel withdrawal. My husband and I brought our daughter home from the foster home on Friday. Now she is spending the night at my sister's house.
We shared a lot of things when we were younger, but I don't know if I want to share my kid. :p