PDA

View Full Version : Remember the whole Bi-Polar issue????

Trinity
06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Here's an update......................

Jesse has been seeing a therapist for about 6 weeks now. He sees her once a week for an hour. She has referred him to an occupational therapist for a sensory evaluation, and a psychiatrist for an evaluation. He will see the psychiatrist on June 21st. We are still working on the occupational evaluation time. I had to take him to his new family doctor to get the referral for the occupational therapist.

Here's what I found odd.

Jesse's therapist said she did not think he was bi polar do to the words I used to describe him. I did not use words that parents of bi polar children use to describe them is what she told me. However I think she fails to realize that I have studied up on all of these different issues and would never describe him in a manner that might put an idea into their heads. I want them to figure it out...... She did say she thought he was slightly depressed and had some social anxiety. duh I already know this. She's great don't get me wrong, I like her a lot and so does Jesse.

Here's the odd part while sitting in the exam room getting a physical done with this new doctor I told him a little bit about Jesse, such as the therapist and him being diagnosed as ADHD and ODD when he was 4. I also told him about the reaction he had to that one pill for ADHD back in August of last year. He asked me a few other questions about his sleeping habits, dreams, and such. He also chatted with Jesse a little while doing the exam.

He then looked at me and said I wouldn't rule out Bi Polar. I was like WHAT! I never mentioned Bi Polar to him at all. After he said that, I then told him I was suspicious of that, which is why he is seeing a therapist, and having all of these evaluations done. He also told me I should probably wait on the occupational therapist evaluation and see what the psychiatrist says first. He thinks he may not need that evaluation after he sees the psychiatrist.:dunno:

Psychoblues
06-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Soooooo, what does that make you, Trinity? Tri-Polar?

Jesse has been seeing a therapist for about 6 weeks now. He sees her once a week for an hour. She has referred him to an occupational therapist for a sensory evaluation, and a psychiatrist for an evaluation. He will see the psychiatrist on June 21st. We are still working on the occupational evaluation time. I had to take him to his new family doctor to get the referral for the occupational therapist.

Here's what I found odd.

Jesse's therapist said she did not think he was bi polar do to the words I used to describe him. I did not use words that parents of bi polar children use to describe them is what she told me. However I think she fails to realize that I have studied up on all of these different issues and would never describe him in a manner that might put an idea into their heads. I want them to figure it out...... She did say she thought he was slightly depressed and had some social anxiety. duh I already know this. She's great don't get me wrong, I like her a lot and so does Jesse.

Here's the odd part while sitting in the exam room getting a physical done with this new doctor I told him a little bit about Jesse, such as the therapist and him being diagnosed as ADHD and ODD when he was 4. I also told him about the reaction he had to that one pill for ADHD back in August of last year. He asked me a few other questions about his sleeping habits, dreams, and such. He also chatted with Jesse a little while doing the exam.

He then looked at me and said I wouldn't rule out Bi Polar. I was like WHAT! I never mentioned Bi Polar to him at all. After he said that, I then told him I was suspicious of that, which is why he is seeing a therapist, and having all of these evaluations done. He also told me I should probably wait on the occupational therapist evaluation and see what the psychiatrist says first. He thinks he may not need that evaluation after he sees the psychiatrist.:dunno:

Medicine, professionals and most times subjective information just blow your mind, don't they? Typical.

Trinity
06-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Soooooo, what does that make you, Trinity? Tri-Polar?

:lmao: probably! :laugh2:

Psychoblues
06-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I thought so!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
06-14-2008, 12:13 AM
I thought so!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

good one psycho, and nice to see trinity has a great sense of humor :salute:

Psychoblues
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Tri-Polar Trinity is a gas in my pipes, Dynamo!!!!!!!!!!!!

good one psycho, and nice to see trinity has a great sense of humor :salute:

Now, hear this: PHLLLLLHHHHHHUUUUUGGGGGG, poot poot, phlug!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't that sound like a V-Twin Harley?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Kathianne
06-14-2008, 07:05 AM

Here's what I found odd.

Hey Trinity, sounds like your new doctor is a keeper. Doctors who listen, pediatricians in particular, who listen and ask questions of both the parent and child, are worth their weight in amoxicillan. It sounds like a couple visits with a very good pediatric psychiatrist might be the best investment of $$ and time with all the difficulties Jesse and you have faced.

MSCSW and psychologists can be very useful, once a diagnosis is made, that makes sense to all involved. If meds are needed, they can be prescribed and monitored. It is all subjective unless there is a physical test to measure for something, like enzymes after a heart attack. Even today, medicine is at least equally art to science and more true in mental health. Once the meds are balanced, then the other professionals can add their valuable, (and less expensive), services.

Having had my kids involved with mental health professionals, one for five years, I'd say the most difficult part is utilizing their services, while trying to keep your child from getting too introspective regarding it all. I don't think this happens with all, as only my daughter, who really had the fewest issues, ran into that problem. Especially through high school, where she was constantly saying she thought this person or that was depressed, bi-polar, what have you. Even today she tends to think and read way too much on these issues. Neither of the boys tended towards this at all. My best friend's daughter ran into some serious issues in high school, she also tended along the path of my daughter regarding intense interest in mental health issues. It sort of reminds me of many nurse friends I know, that after hearing a diagnosis tell you, "Well it could be XXX or YYY, which could be very serious..." Makes me a nervous wreck. :laugh2:

It sounds like Jesse and you are well under way of getting his problems identified and addressed. I hope it goes quickly and next school year is happy for all!

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 12:06 PM
As the bipolar child of a bipolar parent, I encourage you to do a lot lot of reading and keep an open mind.
Bipolar is often confused with other forms of manic depression, along with a few other disorders. It takes a doctor willing to do a lot of testing to distinguish a child who is actually bipolar.

Bipolar is an inherited trait. It is also easily maintained through medication.
No, it can NOT be cured. It can only be maintained. The only risk is attempting to remove a bipolar person from their maintenance medication.
Properly maintained, the bipolar person can not be distinguished from anyone else in the general population. :)

Trinity
06-14-2008, 06:37 PM
As the bipolar child of a bipolar parent, I encourage you to do a lot lot of reading and keep an open mind.
Bipolar is often confused with other forms of manic depression, along with a few other disorders. It takes a doctor willing to do a lot of testing to distinguish a child who is actually bipolar.

Bipolar is an inherited trait. It is also easily maintained through medication.
No, it can NOT be cured. It can only be maintained. The only risk is attempting to remove a bipolar person from their maintenance medication.
Properly maintained, the bipolar person can not be distinguished from anyone else in the general population. :)

So does this mean that you are bi polar? and if so at what age were you diagnosed? and are you on meds and what age were you put on meds?

I know it is an inherited trait and think his father is actually bi polar. Go to the usmessageboard and read through my posts there about his father from about 3 to 4 years ago. You'll see what I mean.

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
So does this mean that you are bi polar? and if so at what age were you diagnosed? and are you on meds and what age were you put on meds?

As my mom is bi polar, I knew one of us was likely to have inherited it. I always thought it was my sister. Turns out it was me.
When I was 19, at the end of my third semester in college, I started the freak out process. Culminating in my suffering a nervous breakdown. When I was in the hospital, they ran a lot of tests on me. They were able to specialize them, knowing of my mom's condition, and determined that I was bi polar.
I started off on several medications that I don't remember. After a couple of months, I was put on two medications, Tranxene and Effexor. They work in stabilizing mood swings and help control other disorders.
After perhaps 18 months or so, I was placed on a Effexor-XR, which is a maintenance drug. I take a pretty hefty dose each day, 150 mg.

The key to controlling bi polar is patience and persistence. The patience part is allowing the doctor to find the right meds (and doses) to control the individual patient. Since there is no "common" level of bi polar. I went through a few bouts of mood swings and irrational behavior before finding the right level of medications.
There are many parents (and patients) who get frustrated with the process. I was a fairly easy case, since the doctors could use genetic markers from my mom.

The doctors told me that, the younger the patient, the easier the condition is to control. The crucial thing is to not stop the process, and do not stop taking the medication.
I can't recall how many stories I heard of people who figured "I've been taking this medication for a long time. It's expensive and I must be normal by now." So they quit taking it and relapse to a worse state.

I actually experienced this on a previous board I was on (the same board where I practically had my nervous breakdown live online, much to my embarrassment). A girl about my age was diagnosed as bipolar and took medication. At some point, her medication began to freak her out, for some bizarre reason. I suspect she quit taking it.
Within a couple of months, she: decided she hated everyone on the board and deleted herself, only to come back a month later; drove her car off the road and into a lake; threatened to kill her parents; and drove to home of another board member (a real life friend) and went from a giggling young-20ish female to a near-homicidal maniac overnight.

This is something that you have to trust doctors with. You can't handle it yourself.
Take it from someone who tried to. :)

Psychoblues
06-15-2008, 10:57 PM
There are a good number of us bi-polars running around in here, don't 'cha think, gabby?

gabosaurus
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

Psychoblues
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Just who said there was, gabby?

Nothing wrong with that.

I agree.

gabosaurus
06-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Way too many idiots still believe that there are stigmas attached to mental illnesses.
Such as "my child is not crazy! He/She is not going to see a shrink!"

We studied that in grad school You would be surprised at how many educated people are sympathetic to conditions like autism, MD and such, but don't want to be associated with mental illnesses.

The American military is very guilty of this. A large veterans hospital will put aside maybe five beds out of a hundred for mental trauma, with ever few psychiatrists on call.

When I was working in a juvenile mental hospital in San Francisco, a co-worker and I went out for lunch at a place that was hosting a fund raiser for MD. Seeing that we had given nothing, one of the guys came over and asked "how much have you donated to Jerry's Kids?"
My co-worker showed him her hospital badge and said "How much have you donated to my kids?"
He probably thought we were both crazy. :p

Psychoblues
06-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I DO NOT HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS, GABBY!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM ONLY BI-POLAR/MANIC-DEPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I DO NOT HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS, GABBY!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM ONLY BI-POLAR/MANIC-DEPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you off your meds again? :death:

Psychoblues
06-16-2008, 12:36 AM
I gave up lithium for Busch, gabby.

Are you off your meds again? :death:

I find it more medicinally acceptable for me and I find that it is also more politically correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you mean "again"?

KitchenKitten99
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Trinity, why not get a referral to a good pediatric Neurologist?

Ask them to do an MRI and maybe an EEG. If the disorder is inside the brain, logic would say to look at the brain to make sure that nothing else is going on, and his symptoms are mimicking bi-polar/ADD, etc.

My son has been diagnosed by both the school district and an independent center as on the autism spectrum. My gut feeling is that they are completely wrong. I have a feeling something else is going on and I have for a while. He has some issues, mostly it is speech. At first I thought I was just in denial, but as I talked to other moms and I have been around other children who are also on 'the spectrum', I see more and more that I think my suspicions are correct that he is being misdiagnosed. The article that I posted about a month ago also lit the fire for me to get my son to a neurologist to take a look deeper. If speech is in the brain, why not take a look at that part to ensure that it is not the cause of something else? I talked to my son's pediatrician about this and he sent a referral to one of the best neurologists in this state. Unfortunately the first available appointment isn't until September. But we are on the waiting list for any cancellations if there are any open spots sooner.

If you haven't already, find a good pediatric neurologist and make sure s/he listens to your concerns.

Psychoblues
06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
If it is contagious, just how contagious is it? Can you get on your hands?

actsnoblemartin
06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I dont know youre specific mental health. but i can tell you depression, bi-polar dis-order are both mental illness and that ive heard 50% of the population suffer from some kind of mental illness

If it is contagious, just how contagious is it? Can you get on your hands?

Psychoblues
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
OK, is that your explanation?

I dont know youre specific mental health. but i can tell you depression, bi-polar dis-order are both mental illness and that ive heard 50% of the population suffer from some kind of mental illness

I'll buy that, carry on, doctor martin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
actually im doctor full of shit :laugh2:

but you know i meant no dis-respect.

If you want links, that show depression and bi-polar are mental illness let me know.

I have heard that many more people suffer in silence from mental illness because of its stigma

OK, is that your explanation?

I'll buy that, carry on, doctor martin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Dynamo, you know me at least as well as anyone here and even jimnyc is still asking me questions.

actually im doctor full of shit :laugh2:

but you know i meant no dis-respect.

If you want links, that show depression and bi-polar are mental illness let me know.

I have heard that many more people suffer in silence from mental illness because of its stigma

And I certainly know that you mean absolutely NO DISRESPECT, at least in this case!!!!!!!!!!!

Trinity
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Trinity, why not get a referral to a good pediatric Neurologist?

Ask them to do an MRI and maybe an EEG. If the disorder is inside the brain, logic would say to look at the brain to make sure that nothing else is going on, and his symptoms are mimicking bi-polar/ADD, etc.

My son has been diagnosed by both the school district and an independent center as on the autism spectrum. My gut feeling is that they are completely wrong. I have a feeling something else is going on and I have for a while. He has some issues, mostly it is speech. At first I thought I was just in denial, but as I talked to other moms and I have been around other children who are also on 'the spectrum', I see more and more that I think my suspicions are correct that he is being misdiagnosed. The article that I posted about a month ago also lit the fire for me to get my son to a neurologist to take a look deeper. If speech is in the brain, why not take a look at that part to ensure that it is not the cause of something else? I talked to my son's pediatrician about this and he sent a referral to one of the best neurologists in this state. Unfortunately the first available appointment isn't until September. But we are on the waiting list for any cancellations if there are any open spots sooner.

If you haven't already, find a good pediatric neurologist and make sure s/he listens to your concerns.

Yes I had considered that and will probably look further into it after he sees this psychiatrist, this Saturday.

I am curious to hear what she thinks and how his evaluation turns out.

My big thing is I refuse to put him on medication until you show me something in black and white that says he is missing this in his chemical make up and needs it. Which is probably going to warrant that trip to a neurologist.

KitchenKitten99
06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes I had considered that and will probably look further into it after he sees this psychiatrist, this Saturday.

I am curious to hear what she thinks and how his evaluation turns out.

My big thing is I refuse to put him on medication until you show me something in black and white that says he is missing this in his chemical make up and needs it. Which is probably going to warrant that trip to a neurologist.

Trust your instincts. A neurologist who physically looks at the brain (thru MRI's & EEG's) will be able to diagnose a true medical problem better than a psychiatrist who only talks to people.

There are many disorders that have symptoms which mimick other disorder symptoms. When it comes to medicating your child, you are right on the money-make them show you in black and white where the problem lies.

emmett
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM
What does any of this have to do with queer polar bears?

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Polar bears? I thought we were talking about truck drivers!!!!!!!!!

What does any of this have to do with queer polar bears?

Have a good ride, emmett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!