PDA

View Full Version : English language dumbdown

Yurt
06-13-2008, 09:31 PM
has anyone noticed that our language is dumbing down? i saw crin's sig line and was reminded how beautiful our language once was. when i started lawschool, i was amazed at the cases and the way judges/justices talked back then...but we were drilled that today, we are to not write/talk that way, we are to write simple, so everyone can understand.

i find this troubling. Avi, you write well, what are your thoughts?

anyone...anyone....bueller....bueller

crin63
06-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't remember where it came from, its been to many years ago. I was told that in all writings and speeches it should be at a 5th grade level so everyone could understand.

Yurt
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't remember where it came from, its been to many years ago. I was told that in all writings and speeches it should be at a 5th grade level so everyone could understand.

i believe that is journalism, most mags have that standard, probably newspapers as well

06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I actually like simplicity in writing. Some people tend to talk just to talk or write just to write. They make it much more difficult to communicate than is really needed.

But then when i think of simplicity, I am thinking more with the sentence structure and grammar. I think complex topics can be discussed with simply language.

hjmick
06-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Fuckin' ay bubba.

5stringJeff
06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
My biggest pet peeve is people who type "u" for "you" and "ur" for "your."

06-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Oh, THAT drives me absolutely crazy. I like language to be precise and that is not precise.

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Funny you should make this thread now. We were having dinner Friday night and were seated next to a family of two adult and three kids. The oldest child was talking on a cell phone (who lets their kids have cell phones at the dinner table, much less talk on them?). The kid's language was a bit below intelligible.

To which my daughter asks my husband "daddy, why doesn't he talk English?" :lmao:

hjmick
06-14-2008, 11:45 AM

"Your" instead of "you're"

"Than" instead of "then" and "then" instead of "than"

"There" instead of "their" or "they're"

Oh the list goes on...

Monkeybone
06-14-2008, 11:51 AM
My biggest pet peeve is people who type "u" for "you" and "ur" for "your."That's instanting messaging for you. *whew* You don't know how hard it is to type out all of these words....or how much longer it is taking me. <=O I almost forgot to capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

"Your" instead of "you're"

"Than" instead of "then" and "then" instead of "than"

"There" instead of "their" or "they're"

Oh the list goes on...that's just lousy and lazy or lack of English skills....

LiberalNation
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I like it simple, quicker to type. Cuz instead of because cuts down on wuite a few letter. Tho over though any day. Don't mind reading complex stuff in older books but I'd never but out the effort to think and type it on a message board.

hjmick
06-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I like it simple, quicker to type. Cuz instead of because cuts down on wuite a few letter. Tho over though any day. Don't mind reading complex stuff in older books but I'd never but out the effort to think and type it on a message board.

Doesn't look as if you but out the effort to check your spelling either. Wuite a surprise... :poke: :lmao:

Monkeybone
06-14-2008, 12:02 PM

um....were you giving an example LN?:laugh2::poke:

LiberalNation
06-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Nope, screw spellcheck too. I'm not writin graded papers her.

manu1959
06-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Nope, screw spellcheck too. I'm not writin graded papers her.

how you do anything ..... is how you do everything.......

LiberalNation
06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Not really, when I'm writing for a class it's always though not tho. I do try to get my their, there, they're correct on message boards however. Those don't show up on spellcheck and if you get used to using them wrong.........

Yurt
06-14-2008, 12:46 PM
word

Abbey Marie
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I have long thought that reading poor grammar and misspellings over time
will decimate even strong writing skills.

manu1959
06-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Not really, when I'm writing for a class it's always though not tho. I do try to get my their, there, they're correct on message boards however. Those don't show up on spellcheck and if you get used to using them wrong.........

like i said.

Silver
06-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Quit bitching....ebonics just might be making a comeback soon....and I be meanin' dat....

Noir
06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't get the whole dissing language change, that is the beauty of language, it changes and adapts with the times, and you can learn allot about the times by viewing language, for example the use of 'wer r u? nd du u wnt 2 c me l8r? ' shows how much commnd we have over our language, and ofcourse if language never evolved then we'd have no were near the depth of language and culture we ahve today, so i welcome what some may see as a dumbing down.

Roomy
06-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Belt up you ponce.

midcan5
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Readers make good writers, how many today take the time to read, and when they do, what do they read. Online it is the sense that counts, not the occasional grammatical error.

"Nothing matters but the writing. There has been nothing else worthwhile... a stain upon the silence." Samuel Beckett

Dilloduck
06-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm far more peeved by those who try to sound brilliant by stringing together a bunch of big words that they don't know how to use. Some have taken creative writing to the point to where it doesn't mean a damn thing. I may have to read it twice even to try to figure out what it the hell they are trying to say and it's still pseudo-intellectual gibberish.

06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Readers make good writers, how many today take the time to read, and when they do, what do they read. Online it is the sense that counts, not the occasional grammatical error.

"Nothing matters but the writing. There has been nothing else worthwhile... a stain upon the silence." Samuel Beckett

I disagree completely. I did nothing, but read growing up and I was a horrible writer until I learned the basic mechanics in college that I should have learned years ago.

It's practice that makes good writing. It's practice that teaches people to spell correctly. It's practice that children are not getting in school.

06-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm far more peeved by those who try to sound brilliant by stringing together a bunch of big words that they don't know how to use. Some have taken creative writing to the point to where it doesn't mean a damn thing. I may have to read it twice even to try to figure out what it the hell they are trying to say and it's still pseudo-intellectual gibberish.

In my experience, they are usually called "Your Honor."

Trinity
06-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I disagree completely. I did nothing, but read growing up and I was a horrible writer until I learned the basic mechanics in college that I should have learned years ago.

It's practice that makes good writing. It's practice that teaches people to spell correctly. It's practice that children are not getting in school.

That's funny that you bring that up. I too grew up reading, I LOVE to read! Only if it is something I am interested in though. If I have to read it, that is a different story.

I was also a horrible writer, till I learned the basic mechanics in my college classes. I was home schooling my 9 year old the last quarter of this past school year. He was learning all of the basic mechanics during this time and he had to write an essay for his final grade. Funny thing is he was learning the same things in third grade, that I learned in my college class :eek:

gabosaurus
06-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Belt up you ponce.

You need to log off and go back to watching Euro '08.
Oh wait, I forgot, England didn't qualify... :p

Roomy
06-15-2008, 04:37 AM
You need to log off and go back to watching Euro '08.
Oh wait, I forgot, England didn't qualify... :p

I still watch and admire the beautiful game, thanks for your concern though.

Hagbard Celine
06-15-2008, 04:16 PM
has anyone noticed that our language is dumbing down? i saw crin's sig line and was reminded how beautiful our language once was. when i started lawschool, i was amazed at the cases and the way judges/justices talked back then...but we were drilled that today, we are to not write/talk that way, we are to write simple, so everyone can understand.

i find this troubling. Avi, you write well, what are your thoughts?

anyone...anyone....bueller....bueller

Change happens, don't be such a stick in the mud.

06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Change happens, don't be such a stick in the mud.

Change isnt necessarily good. I know it's difficult to understand this sometimes. But all change is not created equal.