PDA

View Full Version : Jus' Ain't My Cross To Bear, Allman Brothers

Psychoblues
06-14-2008, 12:59 AM
I think it's the greatest all time Blues jamm ever performed. Ain't nothin' pitiful about it. It speaks the God's honest truth. Some jus' can't handle it.

gabosaurus
06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I prefer Whipping Post or Miss Elizabeth Reed. With Duane, of course.
My dad has some live bootlegs from 1970 and '71 that will curl your hair.

Abbey Marie
06-15-2008, 10:44 PM
It's all so damn good, it doesn't matter which song's playing.

http://www.irocknroll.com/images/Duane_Allman.jpg

http://www.irocknroll.com/sitebuilder/images/Allman_Brothers_Dickie_Betts_Photo-128x161.jpg

Psychoblues
06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Them white boys can kick some ass, can't they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
06-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Live At Fillmore East is one of the albums I would choose to have with me if stuck on a desert island.:salute:

Psychoblues
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I've got some unpublished tape, zero. There ain't no end to the genious!!!!!!!

Live At Fillmore East is one of the albums I would choose to have with me if stuck on a desert island.:salute:

2" just ain't what it used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
06-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Could you ask for a better bass man than Berry Oakley?

Psychoblues
06-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Could you ask for a more creationist lead than Duane Allman?!?!???!!?!??!?!??!?!?

Could you ask for a better bass man than Berry Oakley?

Not to mention Butch Trucks and Jai Johanson on percussion!!!!!!!!!!! Drummers never get the respect they deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Could you ask for a more creationist lead than Duane Allman?!?!???!!?!??!?!??!?!?

Goes without saying, Duane Allman made grown men weep with his masterful guitar work. There has never been anyone before or after that played slide guitar the way he did....... he literally sang with his instrument.

Not to mention Butch Trucks and Jai Johanson on percussion!!!!!!!!!!! Drummers never get the respect they deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I agree, percussion is the backbone of a great band and these guys were flawless back then, I haven't listened to them much since.

Psychoblues
06-18-2008, 01:29 AM
The guitar, zero, for Duane was just an extension of his brain, slide or not. He was one of the few I have met in my life that I have seen that kind of connection with the tools of their work.

Goes without saying, Duane Allman made grown men weep with his masterful guitar work. There has never been anyone before or after that played slide guitar the way he did....... he literally sang with his instrument.

Yes, I agree, percussion is the backbone of a great band and these guys were flawless back then, I haven't listened to them much since.

There are virtually no drummers that I can think of that match the artistry and talent of Duane except maybe Frank Beard of ZZ Top.

Psychoblues
07-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Somehow I thought you would prefer the whipping post, gabby.

I prefer Whipping Post or Miss Elizabeth Reed. With Duane, of course.
My dad has some live bootlegs from 1970 and '71 that will curl your hair.

Many a good man has been jailed for the likes of you and your sexual demands and subsequent dissatisfactions. God bless them.

actsnoblemartin
07-05-2008, 12:56 AM
im sorry to ask, but what are their best songs and/or biggest hits. i wasnt around during their heyday sorry

Somehow I thought you would prefer the whipping post, gabby.

Many a good man has been jailed for the likes of you and your sexual demands and subsequent dissatisfactions. God bless them.

Psychoblues
07-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Do a Google search, marteen. I would purchase via Amazon, but you do it anywhere you like.

im sorry to ask, but what are their best songs and/or biggest hits. i wasnt around during their heyday sorry

Best jamms? They are all best jamms in my honest opinion.

gabosaurus
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Martin, I would urge you to immediately obtain the deluxe versions of Eat A Peach or Fillmore East. You will then recognize why the Allman Brothers are legends.

Abbey Marie
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Martin, I would urge you to immediately obtain the deluxe versions of Eat A Peach or Fillmore East. You will then recognize why the Allman Brothers are legends.

Excellent advice, IMO.

And Psycho, you and I do not agree on much, but your taste in music is not to be denied. Can you dig it?

emmett
07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Now you lefties are talking. I knew there was some common ground out here. Allman Brothers music is absolutely the bomb. Saw them live many times in places like the Macon Coliseum, Chastain Park and the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium. One of the wonderful memories of being a Georgia boy growing up in the 60's and 70's here.

Psychoblues
07-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Why!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, abby!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent advice, IMO.

And Psycho, you and I do not agree on much, but your taste in music is not to be denied. Can you dig it?

Actually, you and I agree on a hell of alot more than you realize, but that's your problem, not mine. Dig it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Did you ever have a doubt, emmett?

Now you lefties are talking. I knew there was some common ground out here. Allman Brothers music is absolutely the bomb. Saw them live many times in places like the Macon Coliseum, Chastain Park and the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium. One of the wonderful memories of being a Georgia boy growing up in the 60's and 70's here.

"Saw them"? I've played with these cats, my friend. Them and a hell of a lot more. Jammers respect each other. We are not into all the back biting that is so prevalent in these venues of self expression, can ya dig it?

Psychoblues
07-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Dig it, abby!!!!!!!!!

It's all so damn good, it doesn't matter which song's playing.

Sitarro
07-19-2008, 02:57 AM
Did you ever have a doubt, emmett?

"Saw them"? I've played with these cats, my friend. Them and a hell of a lot more. Jammers respect each other. We are not into all the back biting that is so prevalent in these venues of self expression, can ya dig it?

I don't remember hearing a triangle dinging in any of their work, I guess when you played with them it wasn't recorded right? Or did you mean something else by saying you played with them?:laugh2::cool:

Psychoblues
07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Silly you, zero.

I don't remember hearing a triangle dinging in any of their work, I guess when you played with them it wasn't recorded right? Or did you mean something else by saying you played with them?:laugh2::cool:

I do my thing and you ain't very good at yours, are you?

Abbey Marie
07-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Dig it, abby!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that, PB!

Edited to add:
It`s Not My Cross To Bear
I have not come, yeah, to testify
about our bad, bad misfortune and I ain't here a wond'rin' why.
But I'll live on and I'll be strong
'cause it just ain't my cross to bear.

I sat down and wrote you a long letter, it was just the other day.
Said, sure as the sunrise, baby, tomorrow I'll be up and on my way.

But in the end, baby, long towards the end of your road,
don't reach out for me, babe, 'cause I'm not gonna carry your load.

Psychoblues
07-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Those words and jamm are haunting, abby!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that, PB!

Edited to add:
It`s Not My Cross To Bear
I have not come, yeah, to testify
about our bad, bad misfortune and I ain't here a wond'rin' why.

I sat down and wrote you a long letter, it was just the other day.
Said, sure as the sunrise, baby, tomorrow I'll be up and on my way.

But in the end, baby, long towards the end of your road,
don't reach out for me, babe, 'cause I'm not gonna carry your load.

And that's what makes blues the very best art that music has ever intended or achieved!!!!!!!! Don't you think?

Abbey Marie
01-06-2017, 04:30 PM
An awesome old thread; even if it was all Psycho-ed up. ;)