PDA

View Full Version : Obama promises and stereotypes black voters

Yurt
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm probably the only candidate who, having won the nomination, can actually redraw the political map," Obama replied to a question about his strategy from a Concord, N.H., woman at a house party last August. Pacing around the old Victorian home, the wooden floor creaking, Obama went on: "I'll give you one specific example: Mississippi is 40% African American, but it votes 25% African American. If we just got the African Americans in Mississippi to vote their percentage, Mississippi is suddenly a Democratic state. And Georgia may be a Democratic state. Even South Carolina starts being in play. And I guarantee you African-American turnout, if I'm the nominee, goes up 30% around the country, minimum."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080617/us_time/cangeorgiabeobamasohio

i think it is a true stereotype, but it seems only a certain class of americans are allowed to make such racial assumptions....

Hagbard Celine
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I disagree, I've heard a lot of people saying that a lot more blacks will turn-out for the election this year. Makes sense to me! It seems like pretty common knowledge Yurt. I think you may be grasping at straws with this thread man.

Yurt
06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I disagree, I've heard a lot of people saying that a lot more blacks will turn-out for the election this year. Makes sense to me! It seems like pretty common knowledge Yurt. I think you may be grasping at straws with this thread man.

disagree with what? what straws?

Hagbard Celine
06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
disagree with what? what straws?

Your thoughts in the OP. Do I really have to explain that to you? Does it not just occur to you that my post is a response to what you wrote?

Yurt
06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Your thoughts in the OP. Do I really have to explain that to you? Does it not just occur to you that my post is a response to what you wrote?

it did, but i would have to assume that given your vague and ambigious response. does it not occur to you that when someone asks nicely what you meant that common courtesy and decency dictate that you simply clarify your response which you still have not done.

Hagbard Celine
06-17-2008, 12:43 PM
it did, but i would have to assume that given your vague and ambigious response. does it not occur to you that when someone asks nicely what you meant that common courtesy and decency dictate that you simply clarify your response which you still have not done.

Sorry, to clarify, you said Obama was making a stereotype by saying more blacks will turn-out to vote since he's on the ticket (i.e. more blacks will vote for a black man) but that only blacks are able to say that.
I said that's not really true since I've heard many people white and black say that anecdotally since he won the nomination. Then I said that since what you said isn't really true, you're grasping at straws.
Savvy?

Yurt
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry, to clarify, you said Obama was making a stereotype by saying more blacks will turn-out to vote since he's on the ticket (i.e. more blacks will vote for a black man) but that only blacks are able to say that.
I said that's not really true since I've heard many people white and black say that anecdotally since he won the nomination. Then I said that since what you said isn't really true, you're grasping at straws.
Savvy?

how is it then when white people are mentioned voting in blocs for a white candidate that there is an underlying, if not outright spoken, tenent that they must, of course, be racist? do you really think if mccain said he could get the white vote and guarantee a greater increase in white votes that this would not be viewed as racist?

i agree that both blacks and others have noticed exactly what obama said, that is why i said the stereotype is true, however, i have seen where whites mention the overwhelming numbers of blacks who vote for obama and obama followers insinuate racism. it is ironic that obama said it was not true that he is where he is in the presidential race due to his skin color, NOW he has once again changed his stance and proclaimed that because he is black this alone will garner him more votes.

interesting, no?