PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE the bible belt...NOT!!!

Mr. P
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
No link current but with permission. I called, thanks Alice!

I hate 'blue laws' it used to be MUCH worst here. There was a time (mid late 60s) EVERY business was closed on Sunday except grocery and drug stores. All you could buy were 'essential' items. Many store managers were arrested for selling non-essential items, candy, snacks etc.

Thump on, thump on Sadie Fields, chairman of the Georgia Christian Alliance.

Rockdale Citizen
Bill proposes Sunday beer, wine sales

By Dave Williams
Staff Writer
dave.williams@rockdalecitizen.com

ATLANTA — Local governments across Georgia could choose to allow Sunday sales of beer and wine in supermarkets and convenience stores under legislation introduced Thursday by a Republican senator.

The bill would authorize city and county elected officials to put Sunday alcohol sales before voters in their communities.

Indeed, local control promises to be a major argument legislative backers will use in trying to sway their colleagues to disregard expected opposition from Christian conservatives and support the measure.

“I believe strongly that we as senators have our first responsibility to the citizens of our respective districts,’’ Sen. Seth Harp, R-Midland, the bill’s chief sponsor, said Thursday in a speech on the Senate floor. “The opportunity to allow them to make that decision is one of the most
fundamental rights that exists in our form of government.”

The General Assembly passed legislation a decade ago allowing local-option Sunday sales of alcoholic beverages in bars and restaurants. Promotes drinking and driving...IMO
But the Legislature has rejected periodic efforts since then to extend the law to retail stores.

Georgia, Connecticut and Indiana are the only states in the nation that don’t allow Sunday retail sales of beer and wine.

Harp’s bill has the backing of the grocery and convenience store industries, which post signs and darken beer and wine aisles on Sundays to show shoppers that those products are off limits.

Jim Tudor, a lobbyist for the Georgia Association of Convenience Stores, pointed to two recent polls as evidence that the state is ready for Sunday sales of beer and wine.

The surveys, conducted by renowned national polling firm Mason-Dixon and by Atlanta-based Insider Advantage, found support for giving voters a say on the issue at 68 percent and 66 percent, respectively.

Tudor said many of today’s Georgians have moved from other states and are used to being able to buy beer and wine on Sundays along with their other groceries for the week.
“For many of our stores, Sunday is the first or second busiest shopping day of the week,’’ he said.

But Sadie Fields, chairman of the Georgia Christian Alliance, said her organization and others that oppose the bill believe Sunday should be treated as a holy day, as is taught in the Bible.
“We’re always in favor of free enterprise,” she said. “But the Sabbath has been a day of worship, rest, family and reflection.”
Christian conservatives likely will be joined by Georgia’s liquor store lobby in working against the bill. Since the legislation would apply only to beer and wine, liquor store owners argue it would be put them at a competitive disadvantage.

Gaffer
01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
At least they are going to open it up to local voting. So non-fundimentalist communities can then vote to change the silly laws.

You can by beer and wine in Indiana on Sunday after 1 pm.

01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Is there some reason its so vital to buy alcohol on sunday? I mean did you drink so much saturday night that you need to restock, if so how the heck did you wake up sunday?

Gaffer
01-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Is there some reason its so vital to buy alcohol on sunday? I mean did you drink so much saturday night that you need to restock, if so how the heck did you wake up sunday?

I was out of beer and was at the grocery store to get some groceries so picked up a 6 pack while I was at it. I lived by myself and did my grocery shopping on Sunday. nothing vital about it just convienence.

Just cause someone likes a beer once in a while doesn't mean they are always falling down drunk. :beer:

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 12:04 AM

No it's not vital. Is it vital to restrict the sale on Sunday? Why?

Shall we continue to promote drinking and driving on Sunday since you can drink at a restaurant then drive, but can't buy and sit home?

There is no logical reason for these laws.

Gaffer
01-13-2007, 12:23 AM
No it's not vital. Is it vital to restrict the sale on Sunday? Why?

Shall we continue to promote drinking and driving on Sunday since you can drink at a restaurant then drive, but can't buy and sit home?

There is no logical reason for these laws.

It's true there is no reason. There's no reason for anybody to not be able to do business on Sunday. I believe most states have the law of no sale of liquor or beer and wine on Sunday morning. It's silly but placates the fundimentalist crowd.

jillian
01-13-2007, 02:09 AM

Vital?? How 'bout Sunday isn't my sabbath and I don't particularly care to not be able to buy a bottle of wine for my dinner if I so choose... whether it's Sunday or not.

01-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Vital?? How 'bout Sunday isn't my sabbath and I don't particularly care to not be able to buy a bottle of wine for my dinner if I so choose... whether it's Sunday or not.

If you dont like it vote against it.

It amazes me how few people seem to understand the concept of a democracy. The people make the rules. If a community wants to pass a law that says people have to wear red on tuesday, its their right to do so in a democracy regardless how stupid others might think the law is and regardless their reasoning behind it. who the heck are you to tell them they can't pass such a law?

Stop trying to force your will on majorities who disagree.

Individual people doing what they want isn't freedom, its anarchy. Freedom comes when communities can determine their own destiny through the elective process. When you start telling them they can pass along because you disagree with it and then try to force them to listen to you, they aren't a free people any more.

Pale Rider
01-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Shit.... they must think Nevada is an extension of HELL then.... :uhoh:

TheSage
01-13-2007, 09:40 AM

It amazes me how few people seem to understand the concept of a democracy. The people make the rules. If a community wants to pass a law that says people have to wear red on tuesday, its their right to do so in a democracy regardless how stupid others might think the law is and regardless their reasoning behind it. who the heck are you to tell them they can't pass such a law?

Individual people doing what they want isn't freedom, its anarchy. Freedom comes when communities can determine their own destiny through the elective process. When you start telling them they can pass along because you disagree with it and then try to force them to listen to you, they aren't a free people any more.

So if a majority of people wanted communism or taking away our guns, you'd be all for it?

We are NOT a democracy. We are a constitutional republic with democratically elected legislators, who are theoretically bound by the parameters set forth in the constitution.

Gunny
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I was out of beer and was at the grocery store to get some groceries so picked up a 6 pack while I was at it. I lived by myself and did my grocery shopping on Sunday. nothing vital about it just convienence.

Just cause someone likes a beer once in a while doesn't mean they are always falling down drunk. :beer:

Isn't that like eating one Lays potato chip?:D

retiredman
01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
what difference should it make what day of the week it is? If buying alcohol is legal, it's legal. This day of the week crap is nothing more than Christians trying to cram their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. If some Christians don't want to buy booze on Sunday, I know of no law anywhere that forces them to put that twelve-pack in their grocery cart against their wishes.

Don't think buying booze on Sunday is right? DOn't buy any.

retiredman
01-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Isn't that like eating one Lays potato chip?:D

for alcoholics, it is..... for the rest of us, it isn't.

Gunny
01-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Get a sense of humor.

retiredman
01-13-2007, 11:40 AM

oh gosh...I'm sorry...I guess I forgot to add the " :laugh: "

Gunny
01-13-2007, 11:49 AM
oh gosh...I'm sorry...I guess I forgot to add the " :laugh: "

Nah, you made a judgemental and presumptive statement without any factual knowledge.

retiredman
01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
you level of awarenes of my level of "factual knowledge" on the subject of alcoholism is zilch.

:no:

Gunny
01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
you level of awarenes of my level of "factual knowledge" on the subject of alcoholism is zilch.

:no:

And your level of awareness as far as the context of the statement I made is the same.

retiredman
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
of course....your "context" is known only to you.... all I have to go on is the words I can read.

You suggested that stopping at one beer was like eating just one Lay's potato chip.... I pointed out that such was indeed the case for some people but not for others.

If we are to enact laws to protect alcoholics from themselves, we shouldn't allow sales any day....but of course, the rest of us who aren't alcoholics wouldn't like that, would we?

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey guys, don't highjack the thread with pissy back an forth BS ok.

manu1959
01-13-2007, 12:10 PM
i think we should enact laws to prevent 'cliff clavins' from posting on the internet

TheSage
01-13-2007, 12:11 PM
i think we should enact laws to prevent 'cliff clavins' from posting on the internet

Whatever you say, Norm.

Gunny
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
of course....your "context" is known only to you.... all I have to go on is the words I can read.

You suggested that stopping at one beer was like eating just one Lay's potato chip.... I pointed out that such was indeed the case for some people but not for others.

If we are to enact laws to protect alcoholics from themselves, we shouldn't allow sales any day....but of course, the rest of us who aren't alcoholics wouldn't like that, would we?

No, the context would also be understood by another poster who knows me, or my posting style, that the comment was in response to.

The comment suggested nothing literally. It was off the cuff humor using a 1960s tv commercial as an analogy. Nothing more.

Enacting laws to protect people from themselves leads to quite a slippery slope.

manu1959
01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Whatever you say, Norm.

ok Mark David Chapman

TheSage
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
ok Mark David Chapman

Oh, you mean Nick, Carla's ne'er do well boyfriend! :laugh:

manu1959
01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh, you mean Nick, Carla's ne'er do well boyfriend! :laugh:

no .... i mean you are a stalker

TheSage
01-13-2007, 12:56 PM
no .... i mean you are a stalker

Yes. Im stalking you on a forum of ten people. :laugh:

Missileman
01-13-2007, 01:06 PM

If you read the article a bit more closely, the proposed legislation is to do exactly what you say you are a proponent of...leaving the matter up to the local communities. This Sadie lady is opposed to such a notion and would much prefer to have the state continue to enforce statutes that are, at this time, in line with her sense of morality.

Said1
01-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Control feak.

That's the real problem here isn't it? :laugh:

I hate rules too.

Thankfully, I always lived close to Quebec and was always able to head over the bridge on Sundays and buy beer at the local Depaneur. You should hear that word said in french Daaay-pan-uuurrr. Gets me everytime. :lmao:

Pale Rider
01-13-2007, 01:42 PM
what difference should it make what day of the week it is? If buying alcohol is legal, it's legal. This day of the week crap is nothing more than Christians trying to cram their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. If some Christians don't want to buy booze on Sunday, I know of no law anywhere that forces them to put that twelve-pack in their grocery cart against their wishes.

Don't think buying booze on Sunday is right? DOn't buy any.

I agree with you. It probably is a religous thing why they don't want people buying beer on Sunday, and that's coming from a Christian... me. I think if you want to buy some beer, liquor, and it's legal, you should be able to no matter what day. But if the majority of people there want it that way, and that's the way it ends up after a vote, if anybody doesn't like it, then get the hell otta there. Simple as that. Quite your bitching and sniveling and MOVE!

TheSage
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with you. It probably is a religous thing why they don't want people buying beer on Sunday, and that's coming from a Christian... me. I think if you want to buy some beer, liquor, and it's legal, you should be able to no matter what day. But if the majority of people there want it that way, and that's the way it ends up after a vote, if anybody doesn't like it, then get the hell otta there. Simple as that. Quite your bitching and sniveling and MOVE!

If a majority of people believed there should be no free speech, would you be for no free speech then?

Pale Rider
01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
If a majority of people believed there should be no free speech, would you be for no free speech then?

That's like asksing, if the majority of people were for blowing up the sun, would you be for that? Ain't gonna happen man.

Ask me something real.

TheSage
01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
That's like asksing, if the majority of people were for blowing up the sun, would you be for that? Ain't gonna happen man.

Ask me something real.

Do you know what "if" means? It's a hypothetical. Would you be for it IF a majority wanted it? COme on. Don't dodge.

The fact is we're not a democracy. We're a constitutional republic. You shouldn't be perpetuating that dogma. It will ultimately turn against freedom.

Choose something else. Say a majority wanted to burn christians, would that therefore be ok?

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Pale..the problem with the remaining blue laws we have here is they were never voted on to start with, just imposed.

Now it looks like there ‘may’ be a vote, we’ll see.

Gunny
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Pale..the problem with the remaining blue laws we have here is they were never voted on to start with, just imposed.

Now it looks like there ‘may’ be a vote, we’ll see.

Aren't they rather ancient though? It's hard for me to imagine blue laws being passed by majority approval nowadays.

Gunny
01-13-2007, 05:54 PM

Was not my intent, but you KNOW I'm not going to back down.;)

Mr. P
01-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Aren't they rather ancient though? It's hard for me to imagine blue laws being passed by majority approval nowadays.

Very ancient. No they were never 'voted' on but are the current law.

Hugh Lincoln
01-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Not the worst laws, the blue laws. They are rooted in Christian tradition, and even if not, they have a salutary purpose. Booze is great, but it's probably a healthy thing not to sell it at least one day a week. Usually I'm libertarian but I can go along with this.

Pale Rider
01-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Do you know what "if" means? It's a hypothetical. Would you be for it IF a majority wanted it? COme on. Don't dodge.

The fact is we're not a democracy. We're a constitutional republic. You shouldn't be perpetuating that dogma. It will ultimately turn against freedom.

Choose something else. Say a majority wanted to burn christians, would that therefore be ok?

I think you know me well enough by now RWA, to know that I don't "dodge". I'll go toe to toe with anyone.

I'm just stating the obvious, which is what I always do. I don't like to play "what if's". We change things here in America by vote. That's what the people are doing. I say if the vote turns out against the way you feel, move. That's all. Nothing more.

If you want to ask me about something completely different. Do it. But make it real.