PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi bursts it's banks

Roomy
06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
flooding towns across America.Just seen it on the news here in the UK.Anybody got an update?

hjmick
06-19-2008, 04:05 PM
It's wet.

Edit: Okay, seriously...

The pictures don't do the situation justice. The loss of property is tragic and the loss of crops will wreak havoc in the marketplace.

Hot and dry as a bone here in California. Though I do hear the we are once again on fire. Hard to tell from my office. No windows.

Yurt
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
why is no one blaming bush? it makes me sick how dems have no idea what personal accountability means, while i agree with some liberal social ideas, their overal platform is disgusting and authoritarian...don't blame the little local guy, blame big brother, for if you do, then i will have you "vote" for me and see how i can be the better big brother to you...

truly sad situation, politics aside

hjmick
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I think there is an air of self reliance in the affected regions that lends itself to people picking up the pieces and putting things right before they scream "FOUL!" Many of them are farmers, obviously, and those who are not certainly know a few. Everybody tends to know their neighbors, and their neighbor's neighbors, this builds a sense of community not found in the urban setting. As a result, I believe there is more of a feeling that they can and must help each other rather than the "every man for himself" mentality. I can't help but think there is a belief that courses through many of the towns that says, "We built this once, we can build it again, let's get started."

On the other hand, the floods continue and it's still early in the cleanup process. There is still a chance people will start looking for their handouts.

Yurt
06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I think there is an air of self reliance in the affected regions that lends itself to people picking up the pieces and putting things right before they scream "FOUL!" Many of them are farmers, obviously, and those who are not certainly know a few. Everybody tends to know their neighbors, and their neighbor's neighbors, this builds a sense of community not found in the urban setting. As a result, I believe there is more of a feeling that they can and must help each other rather than the "every man for himself" mentality. I can't help but think there is a belief that courses through many of the towns that says, "We built this once, we can build it again, let's get started."

On the other hand, the floods continue and it's still early in the cleanup process. There is still a chance people will start looking for their handouts.

you're wrong, it is the government's responsibility to look after "everyman." your neighbor is free to live his or her life as he or she chooses without you looking at them for some kind of support. instead, you should look to your government to rebuild, it is their responsibility, NOT YOURS

~ everyday dem

Roomy
06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
you're wrong, it is the government's responsibility to look after "everyman." your neighbor is free to live his or her life as he or she chooses without you looking at them for some kind of support. instead, you should look to your government to rebuild, it is their responsibility, NOT YOURS

~ everyday dem

Isn't a democratically elected government with a majority agreed mandate to govern everybodies responsibility?Therefore, your governments decisions are your decisions and your responsibility.

Sitarro
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
You guys do know where the Mississippi ends up, right? All of the news crews are on their way to the Big Sleazy for Katrina deux without the Katrina. New Orleans just might be history in a few days so get the kleenex ready for all of the sob stories that will fill television screens.

LiberalNation
06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
We need rain, grass is all drying up. Can't believe it's busted leves and dams. That's a lot of water.

namvet
06-19-2008, 09:23 PM
reminds me of the 93 flood. we went across the Mississippi heading home and it was up up above the base of the st louis arch. we saw homes floating down the river. I-70 west board was a lake on both sides.

http://mo.water.usgs.gov/Reports/1993-Flood/images/scan13.jpg

http://mo.water.usgs.gov/Reports/1993-Flood/images/scan14.jpg

http://mo.water.usgs.gov/Reports/1993-Flood/images/msstlouis.jpg

Gaffer
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
The levees are designed to keep flooding to a minimum. But in extreme cases like this they become part of the problem by channeling the water into areas not able to hold it. All that water is going south. Nawlins needs to get ready as Sitaro said. They have plentu of time to get ready, anyone think they will?

namvet
06-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Towns up and down the Mississippi River were feeling confident the worst was behind them Friday, as government weather forecasters scaled back their projected river crests, suggesting water levels would fall well below records set in 1993.

I didn't think it was anything like 93

update (update)

Trigg
06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
The levees are designed to keep flooding to a minimum. But in extreme cases like this they become part of the problem by channeling the water into areas not able to hold it. All that water is going south. Nawlins needs to get ready as Sitaro said. They have plentu of time to get ready, anyone think they will?

Sure, I think they'll get ready. Geraldo has already booked a flight and Sean Penn is hot on his heals.

The poor disenfranchised have gotten their folding chairs and are heading to the roof to await rescue and Negan is drafting his "It's not my fault speech". Meanwhile the "Bush just hates black people" video is getting pulled out and dusted off.

Meanwhile there are no FEMA trailors, no $2,000 checks being written and no celebrities flying into the Midwest.