PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Craziness Continues

hjmick
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM
And the insanity never ends.

This time a Canadian court has usurped a parent's rights and overturned the punishment doled out by a father to his twelve year old daughter. It seems he grounded the precocious preteen when she refused to follow the rules he set forth in regards to using the Internet. The punishment? To stay off of the afore mentioned Interent and no school trip.

I have to say, the court has overstepped it's authority in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that this case should never have been heard. What is going on up there north of the border? Any Canucks have an explantion? I have to tell you, things are starting to seem a little nutty up there...

Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old
Wed Jun 18, 2:08 PM ET

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling...

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on..."

Source... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080618/wl_canada_afp/canadachildcourtoffbeat_080618180800)

Canada, America's hat. :poke: :D

Missileman
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
And the insanity never ends.

This time a Canadian court has usurped a parent's rights and overturned the punishment doled out by a father to his twelve year old daughter. It seems he grounded the precocious preteen when she refused to follow the rules he set forth in regards to using the Internet. The punishment? To stay off of the afore mentioned Interent and no school trip.

I have to say, the court has overstepped it's authority in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that this case should never have been heard. What is going on up there north of the border? Any Canucks have an explantion? I have to tell you, things are starting to seem a little nutty up there...

Canada, America's hat. :poke: :D

Please tell me that's not a real story. The court has no jurisdiction for that kind of ruling do they?

crin63
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
In my city here in Los Angeles. One of my friends was told by the court that he could not discipline his 16 year old son or kick him out of the house but that he would be liable for whatever his gang-banger son did.

The kids been locked up off and for the last 5 or 6 years since his dad died.

I can believe Canada would do that.

hjmick
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Please tell me that's not a real story.

I wish I could.

The court has no jurisdiction for that kind of ruling do they?

Apparently in Canada they do have jurisdiction. Go figure.

Yurt
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
no wonder my wife's parents snowbird here 3 months out of the year

Psychoblues
06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't think Canada has any exclusive claim on nutty court decisions. Just look at the results of the SCOTUS decision in BUSH v GORE in 2000?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Yurt
06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't think Canada has any exclusive claim on nutty court decisions. Just look at the results of the SCOTUS decision in BUSH v GORE in 2000?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

http://toughsledding.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/crybaby.gif