PDA

View Full Version : Dmz

AFbombloader
06-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I got to see the DMZ today. This was an eye opening experience. I didn't realize how much I didn't know about the Korean Conflict. I know I will be getting a history book on it from the base library and learning more.

The concrete line seperated by sand on the north and gravel on the south is the demarcation line. The north puts sand there because it is more difficult to run on.

The one of me standing by the ROK soldier is actually about 10 feet inside of North Korea. He was there to protect us from the North Koreans on the other side of the door.

The bridge is called the freedom bridge. It is where the only POW's from the war walked back into the south, the north only releases about 12,000 men.

The white post is what the border is marked with, that is all. It is in the middle of 4 KM of the DMZ, 2 KM on each side.

The last one is the way the ROK soldiers stand, they only show half their body to protect themselves.

AF.

AFbombloader
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Here are a few more pictures.

I am surrounded by the North on three sides in the first picture. The tree line behind me is the border.

The second ont is a close up of the border, notice the sand and gravel.

The last one is a picture of the Northern soldier whe watched us through binoculars the entire time we were there. Him and about 5 of his friends.

AF.

Nukeman
06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I got to see the DMZ today. This was an eye opening experience. I didn't realize how much I didn't know about the Korean Conflict. I know I will be getting a history book on it from the base library and learning more.

The concrete line seperated by sand on the north and gravel on the south is the demarcation line. The north puts sand there because it is more difficult to run on.

The one of me standing by the ROK soldier is actually about 10 feet inside of North Korea. He was there to protect us from the North Koreans on the other side of the door.

The bridge is called the freedom bridge. It is where the only POW's from the war walked back into the south, the north only releases about 12,000 men.

The white post is what the border is marked with, that is all. It is in the middle of 4 KM of the DMS, 2 on each side.

The last one is the way the ROK soldiers stand, they only show half their body to protect themselves.

AF.Dude, You should have been wearing that shirt we gave you. What an opportunity to show off your stuff.

Ohh by the way get a hair cut your hippie...... I thought the Air Force had standards:poke::laugh2::laugh2::salute:

AFbombloader
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Dude, You should have been wearing that shirt we gave you. What an opportunity to show off your stuff.

Ohh by the way get a hair cut your hippie...... I thought the Air Force had standards:poke::laugh2::laugh2::salute:

There was a dress code! I would have been shot if I wore the t-shirt. And what is wrong with my hair? It is well within AF regs. And I need to start growing it out if I want to get that retirement mullet going!

AF:salute:

Nukeman
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
There was a dress code! I would have been shot if I wore the t-shirt. And what is wrong with my hair? It is well within AF regs. And I need to start growing it out if I want to get that retirement mullet going!

Nothing says Party in the back and business in the front like a good old mullet. You need to ask Monkey what he just said to me.....:cheers2:

Monkeybone
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I said you looked gay.

namvet
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I heard they also have lethal electric fences and traps to keep north soldiers from defecting. but many of them have defected. going thru the maze of defense's between the 2 countries.
BTY i was in the USN Monkey asshole

Monkeybone
06-20-2008, 10:01 AM
all fixed ya crazy mo'fo :thumb:

Monkeybone
06-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Here are a few more pictures.

I am surrounded by the North on three sides in the first picture. The tree line behind me is the border.

The second ont is a close up of the border, notice the sand and gravel.

The last one is a picture of the Northern soldier whe watched us through binoculars the entire time we were there. Him and about 5 of his friends.

AF.

sheesh. like you would wanna go there. they probably had snipers on ya too :laugh2:

and a dress code is no reason to not be wearing that shirt

namvet
06-20-2008, 10:20 AM
all fixed ya crazy mo'fo :thumb:

thanks chump. or is it chimp???

crin63
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for sharing. I've seen it on one of the cable channels but your shots bring it more into perspective.

I'm a details kinda guy. I noticed that the guards stand with their fists clinched. Any significance that you know of other than looking tough and ready?

Nukeman
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
BTY i was in the USN Monkey asshole

Sooooooooooo.... You were a "seamen".............. Sorry just couldn't help myself....:poke::laugh2:

:salute::salute:

Monkeybone
06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for sharing. I've seen it on one of the cable channels but your shots bring it more into perspective.

I'm a details kinda guy. I noticed that the guards stand with their fists clinched. Any significance that you know of other than looking tough and ready? i was wondering that myself. would make sense.

thanks chump. or is it chimp???it's Monkey Francis. :laugh2:

AFbombloader
06-20-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm a details kinda guy. I noticed that the guards stand with their fists clinched. Any significance that you know of other than looking tough and ready?

They told us the ROK guards stand in a Tae Kwon Do ready position, so it is to be ready to respond to any act of aggression. Those guys were not to be messed with. They didn't even move.

AFbombloader
06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
sheesh. like you would wanna go there. they probably had snipers on ya too :laugh2:

and a dress code is no reason to not be wearing that shirt

I wouldn't doubt that there were snipers from both sides in the area.

The Koreans and the Japanese don't really get along, so wearing the shirt up there would not have been smart. All I need is to start the next Korean war!