PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 is here!!

gabosaurus
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
More powerful, function and even more awesome than before, the new version of Firefox is here! You can download is from the Mozilla site or from www.download.com
If you are still living in the ancient times of IE, move up to Firefox. Make sure to add on Adblock Plus, so you can eliminate in-page ads and banners.

Yurt
06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
don't jump for joy, firefox has its problems and why do you hate IE?

gabosaurus
06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
If you don't understand the differences in safety, security, functionality and ease of use between Firefox and IE, it is not even worth discussing it with you. Get in your Edsel and drive away.

Sitarro
06-20-2008, 08:41 PM
If you don't understand the differences in safety, security, functionality and ease of use between Firefox and IE, it is not even worth discussing it with you. Get in your Edsel and drive away.

I use Safari and don't need any of those add ons....... still no ads, popups, viruses or blue screens...... it just works, all the time.

Mr. P
06-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I hated IE, went to Netscape and loved it, been on Firefox for several yrs now it's "Da Bomb" as the kids say. I only use IE if I must and that's VERY seldom I can even remember the last time.

5stringJeff
06-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I was part of Download Day - one of the 8 million who downloaded FF3 on its release date. I will never, ever, ever go back to IE.

Hagbard Celine
06-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I've got the Firefox 3. It's definately faster than Internets Exploder. And I've been using it for about a week and it hasn't crashed once, unlike IE. What am I supposed to do with IE now though? I don't need two browsers. Did you guys delete it? Doesn't it take up valuable memory space if I have a huge, useless program on my 'puter?

5stringJeff
06-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I've got the Firefox 3. It's definately faster than Internets Exploder. And I've been using it for about a week and it hasn't crashed once, unlike IE. What am I supposed to do with IE now though? I don't need two browsers. Did you guys delete it? Doesn't it take up valuable memory space if I have a huge, useless program on my 'puter?

I haven't tried to delete IE, since my hard drive is fairly large. I just ignore it.

Mr. P
06-21-2008, 11:52 AM

DON'T DELETE IT!!! It is a part of the OS..sneaky bastards!

Hagbard Celine
06-21-2008, 07:22 PM
DON'T DELETE IT!!! It is a part of the OS..sneaky bastards!

Thanks for the tip. I had a hunch it was set up that way. Why doesn't Mozilla come out with an OS? Microsoft would be dead in the water :laugh:

Also, I really want to get the features of the google toolbar like the highlighter and the dictionary.com buttons. Does Mozilla make add-ons for those?
I figured it would be kinda stupid to add the google toolbar when it's already got a google search bar built-in. :dunno:

Sitarro
06-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I got rid of Internet Explorer and Firefox and my MAC thanked me by running faster and smoother.

Hagbard Celine
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I got rid of Internet Explorer and Firefox and my MAC thanked me by running faster and smoother.

Yeah, I've got a macbook that I let my gf use--and it's got safari on it. But at home I use a pc laptop so I can't get rid of the Internets Exploder.

Mr. P
06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the tip. I had a hunch it was set up that way. Why doesn't Mozilla come out with an OS? Microsoft would be dead in the water :laugh:

Also, I really want to get the features of the google toolbar like the highlighter and the dictionary.com buttons. Does Mozilla make add-ons for those?
I figured it would be kinda stupid to add the google toolbar when it's already got a google search bar built-in. :dunno:

Mozilla has add-on stuff, Jim or Jeff can fill you in. I don't use any add-ons myself but I do use the google search bar a great deal.

5stringJeff
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I use all kinds of add-ons. The best, far and away, is Ad-Block Plus. I "miss out" on 99.9% of all internet ads.

There are plenty of good add-ons. Do a quick search and you should be able to find whatever you're looking for. Also, most have reviews so you can see how others have fared with them.

Hagbard Celine
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Mozilla has add-on stuff, Jim or Jeff can fill you in. I don't use any add-ons myself but I do use the google search bar a great deal.

I really like the highlighter feature on the google toolbar. When you're trying to sift through a large amount of text, having the words you searched for highlighted is nice.
Also, I look-up words all the time and I like being able to just press a button instead of having to go through the agony of typing-in a URL. :laugh:
I added "notefish," which is an add-on that lets you save copied text from various pages on a notepad within the browser. I also added a couple of other small apps. I like Firefox so far.

glockmail
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
My son's toying with a computer to run on Linux and entirely open source applications. It looks good for about 95% of the world, but I use AutoCad and literally dozens of small engineering specific applications that rely on Windoze. He hasn't figured out yet how to make those work- dependably- on Linux. There’s an application called Wine that supposedly claims that it can run this stuff but so far hasn’t proven to cut the mustard.

diuretic
06-21-2008, 09:18 PM
My son's toying with a computer to run on Linux and entirely open source applications. It looks good for about 95% of the world, but I use AutoCad and literally dozens of small engineering specific applications that rely on Windoze. He hasn't figured out yet how to make those work- dependably- on Linux. There’s an application called Wine that supposedly claims that it can run this stuff but so far hasn’t proven to cut the mustard.

What's he using? I run Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (I had kernel problems with Hardy so I went back to the previous version). I'm using the Gnome version. In Ubuntu there's a handy little programme that tells you what software is available and it downloads and installs it automatically for you - the Add/Remove function in Ubuntu. I just checked. It has a couple of CAD programmes available at no cost.

QCaD
SagCAD
ElectricalCAD (for circuit design)

There is a function called Synaptic Package Manager which shows you more programmes

Qcad
Pythoncad
varkon

glockmail
06-22-2008, 09:08 AM
What's he using? I run Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (I had kernel problems with Hardy so I went back to the previous version). I'm using the Gnome version. In Ubuntu there's a handy little programme that tells you what software is available and it downloads and installs it automatically for you - the Add/Remove function in Ubuntu. I just checked. It has a couple of CAD programmes available at no cost.

QCaD
SagCAD
ElectricalCAD (for circuit design)

There is a function called Synaptic Package Manager which shows you more programmes

Qcad
Pythoncad
varkon I sent him a link to the Wired article to see what he says. I notice that it doesn't support games too well which is fairly critical for a 16 year old. I looked at the PythonCad thing a bit and it doesn't support dwg files. My industry is nearly 100% on DWG, which is why I moved to Windoze from Mac 8 years ago.

diuretic
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I sent him a link to the Wired article to see what he says. I notice that it doesn't support games too well which is fairly critical for a 16 year old. I looked at the PythonCad thing a bit and it doesn't support dwg files. My industry is nearly 100% on DWG, which is why I moved to Windoze from Mac 8 years ago.

Yes games are in issue in Linux. There is a free programme called Wine which allows some games (not all, there's a list of known ones on their site) and a commercial programme called Cedega which is better than Wine but of course costs a few dollars. But apparently Cedega is pretty good. I only have FlightGear on my Linux computer and that runs pretty well and my Windows computer is too slow to run any decent modern games, I just use it for Office (OpenOffice is good on Linux but when compatabilty is important I use Office on Windows).

As for DWG - I'm going to admit utter ignorance but you're right Python Cad doesn't support it.

Oh well, in a later manifestation perhaps.