PDA

View Full Version : drill here. drill now. pay less

namvet
06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
our alleged leaders in wash are getting slam dunked by pissed off and angry Americans over this oil crisis.

Members of Congress were swamped by telephone calls and e-mail messages Thursday demanding, ‘‘Drill now!’’ in response to a Republican call for increased American oil production to fight runaway gasoline prices. (emphasis mine)

Lawmakers got little response to previous proposals intended to lower the cost of oil: alternative energy sources, a federal gasoline tax holiday, an excess profits tax on U.S. oil producers and pressure on foreign oil producers. In contrast, the demand to ‘‘drill now’’ (first urged this year by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich) has taken hold.
A footnote: A challenge to his House colleagues by Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia to sign a letter pledging that ‘‘I will vote to increase U.S. oil production to lower gas prices for Americans’’ began Thursday morning with 72 signatures and by mid-afternoon had reached 152. Only one was a Democrat: Neal Abercrombie of Hawaii, which has especially high gasoline prices. Signatures also were mounting on two petitions to force Democratic-controlled committees to send to the House floor two mandatory oil-drilling bills.

Let's keep swamping Congressional phone lines until they respond to the will of the American people.

link (link)

my my. we voters CAN be a pesky bunch. so. wanna throw in your 2 cents or continue the 'mission impossible' Rhetoric??? my elected state officals know me well. probably wish i'd take a hike since i slam dunk their ass over many issues. but their gonna get both barrels from me again.

nXAFY9d_MpU

https://www.americansolutions.com/media/4CDF1CEC-779C-4699-A123-A8992F4D9219/217ae618-c18d-4989-931a-771ba4ae5657.jpg

Classact
06-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Time to chose sides on the great oil debate of 08. It is clearly divided between the left and right as usual. The left says no domestic carbon based energy development nor nuclear authorizations, the only solution is "green alternatives to carbon based energy". The right says drill here, drill now and explore nuclear while developing "green alternatives to carbon based energy".

Here is my debate position on the debate: We need to develop nuclear clean nuclear power plants to charge our clean green battery cars. We need to drill here, drill now to develop all sources of domestic oil to replace imported oil. We need to develop clean coal, coal to liquid and oil shale to oil. We need to use all the proceeds to develop "green engineering" to determine the best methods of alternative energy that will replace carbon based energy.

Here is the foundation to my oil argument: Drill everywhere or nowhere. If it is safe in the Gulf of Mexico then it is safe everywhere. If it isn't safe in Gulf of Mexico close down all domestic oil/natural gas operations immediately and import from other nations. This is simple logic and reason...

Watch as the left crumbles in the next six weeks under the scrutiny of this logic and reason... When airlines go tits up and the federal government has to bail them and their union retirement packages out... when Big Brown and Fedex goes tits up and hit the unemployment lines ... let the left offer them a solar panel or windmill solution and see the nation smile as they run them out of town with their environmental and trial lawyers in tow.

midcan5
06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
My granddaughter, only two, after a quick review of the current oil situation asked, 'grandpop how is it we have plenty of oil and the prices are still high and won't we eventually run out of oil no matter what we do?' I thought for a second and answered, 'oil companies have no competition and most people are only concerned with short term solutions, they aren't thinking of you and your children, they are much too greedy and shortsighted to see the big picture.' Smart grandchild, don't you think.

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great. If this is so, I may be acting very wrongly..." Derek Parfit

Gaffer
06-22-2008, 04:46 PM
My granddaughter, only two, after a quick review of the current oil situation asked, 'grandpop how is it we have plenty of oil and the prices are still high and won't we eventually run out of oil no matter what we do?' I thought for a second and answered, 'oil companies have no competition and most people are only concerned with short term solutions, they aren't thinking of you and your children, they are much too greedy and shortsighted to see the big picture.' Smart grandchild, don't you think.

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great. If this is so, I may be acting very wrongly..." Derek Parfit

Yeah, very smart for a two year old. Able to form sentences and articulate and understand about global economy. She should be finishing high school in about two years. I'm sure its all that public schooling she has had since birth. Are you related to psyco?

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Oil recovered in America will go on the world marketplace and be sold for whatever the speculators drive the price to. We no longer live in a supply and demand economic universe. Don't any of you idiots read? If you do, do you comprehend? Or maybe you're the ones reaping the short term benefits of manipulated market considerations at the expense of those of us that just need to get back and forth to our work and places of personal and professional business?!?!??!?!?!?!??!

Some thievery is legalized through shortsighted legislation and right now Americans are paying the price for normally accepted accounting practices, ain't it a freakin' trip?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Dilloduck
06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080613/ap_on_bi_ge/exxon_mobil_gas_stations_7

Big oil is getting out of the retail business anyway. Can the government tell big oil how to run their business ?

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Is that your excuse?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080613/ap_on_bi_ge/exxon_mobil_gas_stations_7

Big oil is getting out of the retail business anyway. Can the government tell big oil how to run their business ?

And what a pitiful and very unAmerican and uneducated one it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dilloduck
06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Is that your excuse?

And what a pitiful and very unAmerican and uneducated one it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse for what? Getting to be the end of the week end, psycho. Time to climb out of the bottle.

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
You said something about big oil getting out of the retail business, dd.

Excuse for what? Getting to be the end of the week end, psycho. Time to climb out of the bottle.

I think it's a farce and you expect me to ignore the implications? Maybe it is you that needs to get out of the bottle, cowgirl.

Dilloduck
06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
You said something about big oil getting out of the retail business, dd.

I think it's a farce and you expect me to ignore the implications? Maybe it is you that needs to get out of the bottle, cowgirl.

Read the link dumbass

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Read this, dumbass.

Read the link dumbass

I think it is a farce. If you have problems with that please express them, dumbass.

Dilloduck
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Read this, dumbass.

I think it is a farce. If you have problems with that please express them, dumbass.

ahhhhhhh so exxon isn't really selling their retail stations. Very interesting theory

Psychoblues
06-22-2008, 11:10 PM
No, really, they're not, dumbass.

ahhhhhhh so exxon isn't really selling their retail stations. Very interesting theory

They are exploiting generally accepted accounting practices as is legal according to the very reichwing legislature that made them so. Eventually, as time permits, a Democratic Congress will legislate differently. In the meantime expect the war profiteers to use whatever tools they have to increase their profits!!!!!!!!! It really is that simple, numbnuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gabosaurus
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
The whole "drill more, produce more, lower prices" would be great if it was true. Unfortunately, it is a fantasy concocted by the oil companies.
If oil production doubled tomorrow, prices would not go down. They would stay the same, or perhaps go up. Because, no matter how much oil is out there, the major oil companies decide how much of that is refined, produced and placed on the market. Because they have a monopoly, Big Oil is the sole arbiter of supply and price.
Ever notice how all the gas stations representing the major companies in any specific area are within 10-15 cents of each other? Where are the price wars? Where is the "Wal Mart" of oil? Where are the price cut mavericks?

Big Oil has it down to a science. If there is a significant weather event, gas prices go up. If the major superpowers bark at each other, gas prices go up.
You pay, they profit. And since all of you good Republicans support the right of Big Oil to make huge profits, it will continue. Drilling or not.

Dilloduck
06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
The whole "drill more, produce more, lower prices" would be great if it was true. Unfortunately, it is a fantasy concocted by the oil companies.
If oil production doubled tomorrow, prices would not go down. They would stay the same, or perhaps go up. Because, no matter how much oil is out there, the major oil companies decide how much of that is refined, produced and placed on the market. Because they have a monopoly, Big Oil is the sole arbiter of supply and price.
Ever notice how all the gas stations representing the major companies in any specific area are within 10-15 cents of each other? Where are the price wars? Where is the "Wal Mart" of oil? Where are the price cut mavericks?

Big Oil has it down to a science. If there is a significant weather event, gas prices go up. If the major superpowers bark at each other, gas prices go up.
You pay, they profit. And since all of you good Republicans support the right of Big Oil to make huge profits, it will continue. Drilling or not.

What is the Democrats plan to bring down the price of gas ?

06-22-2008, 11:56 PM

if we didn't have 1 1/2 major political parties preventing us from drilling and refining more supply, the prices wouldnt be so damn volatile.

gabosaurus
06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Neither party has the power to bring down the price of gas. The candidates can talk all they want and promise all they want.
The only party with the power to lower gas prices are the oil companies. And they are certainly not going to do it.
Opening every protected drilling site on the earth would do nothing but increase profits for Big Oil. The average consumer would see none of it.

Increasing the production of gas would give Big Oil more product to sell to China and other developing countries. It would not increase gas supplies in the U.S.

red states rule
06-23-2008, 05:05 AM

Raise taxes on the oil companies

Pres Peanut Carter did the same thing in the late 70's, and those of us who lived through those 4 years remember how well it worked then

red states rule
06-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Neither party has the power to bring down the price of gas. The candidates can talk all they want and promise all they want.
The only party with the power to lower gas prices are the oil companies. And they are certainly not going to do it.
Opening every protected drilling site on the earth would do nothing but increase profits for Big Oil. The average consumer would see none of it.

Increasing the production of gas would give Big Oil more product to sell to China and other developing countries. It would not increase gas supplies in the U.S.

Not only do we need to drill where there is opil, we also need to build and expand refineries. Capacity is full, and even it the supply of oil doubled overnight, there is no refinery capacity to handle the extra oil

With over 60% of the oil and natural gas reserves off limits to esploration, the US has the resources to be energy independent

Constantly attacking the companies that provide you with your energy is not solving anything Gabs

AFbombloader
06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
I saw Gov. Richardson of New Mexico on TV today. He said even is we open the offshore reserves to drilling now, we won't see anything from it for 10 years. What happens if we do nothing, like we did nothing 10 years ago? How high will prices be in 10 years?

We need to do everything at the same time. WE need to start drilling now, so we will have a supply coming in and we can get off the nipple of the Mideast oil. We are already curtailing our driving habits. We need to expand alternative energies. But that will not be the answer alone. We will still need oil even if we get more hybrid/hydrogen/biofuel vehicles on the roads. Why can't people see this?

AF:salute:

red states rule
06-23-2008, 06:17 AM
I saw Gov. Richardson of New Mexico on TV today. He said even is we open the offshore reserves to drilling now, we won't see anything from it for 10 years. What happens if we do nothing, like we did nothing 10 years ago? How high will prices be in 10 years?

We need to do everything at the same time. WE need to start drilling now, so we will have a supply coming in and we can get off the nipple of the Mideast oil. We are already curtailing our driving habits. We need to expand alternative energies. But that will not be the answer alone. We will still need oil even if we get more hybrid/hydrogen/biofuel vehicles on the roads. Why can't people see this?

AF:salute:

Tried to rep you but have to spread it around

The Dems are using the same old worn out talking points they have used since 2000

red states rule
06-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Remember Nancy Pelosi's "common sense approach to lower gas prices" in 2006?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAc79fdBcIo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAc79fdBcIo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

midcan5
06-23-2008, 06:54 AM

You do realize how curiously ironic that question is, isn't the market supposed to do this through the magic of freedom and markets or did I miss some change in wingnut reality.

red states rule
06-23-2008, 06:55 AM
You do realize how curiously ironic that question is, isn't the market supposed to do this through the magic of freedom and markets or did I miss some change in wingnut reality.

In 2006, Dems ran on lowering gas prices

06-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Market can't do it's thing when politicians create artificial road blocks to production.

red states rule
06-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Market can't do it's thing when politicians create artificial road blocks to production.

You mean like putting about 65% of oil and natural gas reserves off limits to exploration?

Dilloduck
06-23-2008, 07:28 AM
You mean like putting about 65% of oil and natural gas reserves off limits to exploration?

What is currently limiting the supply of gasoline to the point that the prices have shot up ? Are we really having a shortage of crude that we can refine and distribute ?

red states rule
06-23-2008, 07:31 AM
What is currently limiting the supply of gasoline to the point that the prices have shot up ? Are we really having a shortage of crude that we can refine and distribute ?

Worldwide demand is going up, while the supply has remained constant. As I pointed out, our refineries can't handle any additional supply

We need to not only start drilling wherever the oil is, but also increase refinery capacity

When oil companies are told they can't drill off the East coast, the West Coast, in the Gulf, or in Alaska (where the oil is) production will not increase

Kathianne
06-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Tried to rep you but have to spread it around

The Dems are using the same old worn out talking points they have used since 2000

Covered!

red states rule
06-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Covered!

Thanks for the assist Kathianne