PDA

View Full Version : Sad news, we have lost a great one.

Sitarro
06-23-2008, 12:31 AM
A great comedian, one that forced you to think, and one I have enjoyed since high school........ I'll miss you George, I'm sure GOD has a great sense of humor and forgives you for many of the things you have said pertaining to him. Rest in peace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/ts_nm/carlin_dc

Comedian George Carlin dies in Los Angeles at 71

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

gabosaurus
06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I agree that he was brilliant. My dad met him once. Said that Carlin was not only funny, but extremely intelligent.

oh gawd, what's that smell?
Someone farted! But who?
I know! The dog farted!
Why did you fart, Kippie?!
I know it was the dog! I saw his ass open up!

George Carlin, RIP. :(

stephanie
06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
wow.. he didn't seem like he was 71..

He was a great comedian.

make em laugh in heaven, as you did down here..:cheers2:

actsnoblemartin
06-23-2008, 12:44 AM
very sad indeed :poke:

A great comedian, one that forced you to think, and one I have enjoyed since high school........ I'll miss you George, I'm sure GOD has a great sense of humor and forgives you for many of the things you have said pertaining to him. Rest in peace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/ts_nm/carlin_dc

Comedian George Carlin dies in Los Angeles at 71

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

hjmick
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
BTyzTJTNhNk

06-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Rufus... Bogus...

dan
06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Bummer. In his last two HBO specials, though, he was really starting to show his age. his material was less creative, more crotchety. Still, he was one of the greats, sad day.

Hagbard Celine
06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
My all-time favorite comedian. RIP George! You were a true prophet. :cheers2:

namvet
06-23-2008, 08:55 AM
just heard this this morning. he was a legend. funny the 7 dirty words are now standard on network TV. mom dad and kids today sit there laffn' their ass's off. he will be missed..................

Trigg
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Saw one of his acts years ago, he was a great comedian.

RIP

KitchenKitten99
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Bummer. In his last two HBO specials, though, he was really starting to show his age. his material was less creative, more crotchety. Still, he was one of the greats, sad day.

Exactly my thoughts. DH & I saw him in Vegas in 2005 (at the long-gone Stardust) and the show we saw, he stated that he was practicing for his HBO special. He did the whole bit on all the techno-buzz-words, which lasted about 10 minutes, though it felt like longer. When half the audience keeps looking at their watches and hardly smiling, maybe that should be a sign that the bit isn't funny.

I was actually disappointed because we paid $60 per ticket to see him, and we actually were gonna see Penn & Teller instead, but chose Carlin. We both wished that we had seen P&T instead. The guy opening for Carlin, David Blair, was a helluva lot funnier. I wish he would do shows up here.

Carlin's older stuff is/was much better.

hjmick
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Exactly my thoughts. DH & I saw him in Vegas in 2005 (at the long-gone Stardust) and the show we saw, he stated that he was practicing for his HBO special. He did the whole bit on all the techno-buzz-words, which lasted about 10 minutes, though it felt like longer. When half the audience keeps looking at their watches and hardly smiling, maybe that should be a sign that the bit isn't funny.

I was actually disappointed because we paid $60 per ticket to see him, and we actually were gonna see Penn & Teller instead, but chose Carlin. We both wished that we had seen P&T instead. The guy opening for Carlin, David Blair, was a helluva lot funnier. I wish he would do shows up here.

Carlin's older stuff is/was much better.

Always see P&T, they deliver. I try to see them every time I'm in Vegas.

Abbey Marie
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I agree Fuzzy. I saw him on TV in recent years, and he wasn't funny. He just sounded bitter. I had the impression of a very unhappy man.

An interesting quote in today's news:

Carlin on his audience:

"My purpose is not to change anything. I don't give a shit about this country. This country could explode tomorrow and I'd just move to Ireland. I don't care about America, I don't care about democracy, I don't care about the human race. And I don't care about religion or God or any of those things. I care about friendship, family ties and romantic love. Those are the things I believe in. And I love my writing."
http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Articles/Carlin2/Carlin2.html

hjmick
06-23-2008, 04:56 PM
In his day, Carlin was funny. He was thought provoking, insightful, and had something to say which coincidentally needed to be said. His wit was as sharp as his tongue. Unfortunately, it has been fifteen or twenty years since he was last relevant, since his words and observations struck a chord with the American public.

In that time, he crossed over from socially conscious funny man to angry curmudgeon.

I say this as a fan who watched the transition with a sense of loss I did not feel when I heard he had died.

dan
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Fuzzy, I think that's terrible. While I totally understand a comic rehearsing his material onstage, I think most comedians do this in smaller venues, specifically so people don't have to pay $60 to watch them rehearse. His material definitely lost something in the end. Oh well, he proved himself long ago, he'll be remembered for his classic period, not the crappier final period of his comedy.

That said, I have to say, he's responsible for possibly the worst joke I've ever heard a comedian perform: "So the stewardess tells me I can get on the plane. Fuck you, I'm getting in the plane!"

KitchenKitten99
06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Fuzzy, I think that's terrible. While I totally understand a comic rehearsing his material onstage, I think most comedians do this in smaller venues, specifically so people don't have to pay $60 to watch them rehearse. His material definitely lost something in the end. Oh well, he proved himself long ago, he'll be remembered for his classic period, not the crappier final period of his comedy.

That said, I have to say, he's responsible for possibly the worst joke I've ever heard a comedian perform: "So the stewardess tells me I can get on the plane. Fuck you, I'm getting in the plane!"

We thought maybe we were gonna see a great preview of his HBO special, and since we don't get HBO, it would be cool to see it before everyone else.

he did a couple bits that were funny, but I found that I didn't laugh nearly as much as I did when I listen to his early bits we have on CD.

I like his bits about golf and germs. Those were and still are classics!

We're definitely seeing Penn & Teller next time we hit Vegas, providing they're still there. It will be a few years before we get out there again.

I don't regret 100% of seeing Carlin instead of P&T... at least I can say that got to see a comedic legend live and in person, even if the performance was lacking.

David Blair did a funny bit where he went around the room asking people where they were from, and giving funny comments to responses. One couple said Alaska. His response was "Alaska? Damn, you really have a gambling problem."