PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers to be taught about human rights

stephanie
06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
By Martin Beckford, Social Affairs Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:13AM BST 21/06/2008

Toddlers are to be taught about human rights and respecting different cultures in a scheme condemned as an "absurd" waste of time.

Nurseries across the country are adopting the project, which will see teachers explaining to children as young as three that people across the world live different lives but everyone has a right to food, water and shelter.

Staff will also be expected to ensure that children are treated as independent human beings, and have the "right" to choose their toys or have a drink of water whenever they want.

It is an extension of a Unicef scheme already in use in primary schools, in which pupils analyse the responsibilities of fairytale characters and sign a joint declaration with teachers of how people should be treated.

read it all here.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2163384/Toddlers-to-be-taught-about-human-rights.html

Hagbard Celine
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
So?

Abbey Marie
06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I guess the English will never get over their guilt for colonialism. Though it doesn't seem to bother Spain at all. :dunno:

Nukeman
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I really don't see a problem per se with this. So they want to teach our toddlers that we are all the same... big hairy deal. Aren't we all the same for the most part?

I just ask that they don't come asking me for donations to PAY for this type of service, after all the toddlers really aren't going to retain what is being told to them at school especially if their parents are complete bigots and racist.

I have a question, is this geared solely towards white christian children or all children????

Kathianne
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I really don't see a problem per se with this. So they want to teach our toddlers that we are all the same... big hairy deal. Aren't we all the same for the most part?

I just ask that they don't come asking me for donations to PAY for this type of service, after all the toddlers really aren't going to retain what is being told to them at school especially if their parents are complete bigots and racist.

I have a question, is this geared solely towards white christian children or all children????

I agree with this:

..Dr Richard House, of the Research Centre for Therapeutic Education at Roehampton University, added: "The idea that this kind of learning is appropriate for nursery-age children is absurd, and betrays a complete lack of understanding of child development.

"Modern culture seems determined to treat children like 'mini-adults' in all kinds of ways, and with major negative effects in terms of their premature growing-up." ...

Children younger than 8 or 9, should only be taught that adults will take care of them. At this age they haven't the wherewithal to impact the 'greater' world, nor the ability to understand whether or not that would be a good thing.

emmett
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I think we should hire attorneys for the toddlers, pay for them with tax dollars from the rich, so each toddler will be properly represented. This way we can assure that each two year old is guarenteed the right to choose their own toy. I mean hell, the damn parents nowadays are barely qualified to choose them.