PDA

View Full Version : Disciplining children today

hjmick
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
In today's world, most parents think it's improper to spank children. The other day I was talking to one of my friends about methods used to discipline children. We talked about 'time outs', grounding, holding back 'rewards', etc. One of the things we discussed was the act of spanking and my friend told me that no, he does not spank any of his children.

He then explained that what he does is to take the misbehaving child out for a ride in the car, and a talk. He said that such a method usually works, and the child calms down fairly quickly. It very rarely takes much time.

The theory behind such a practice is simple.

By removing the child, in this case his son, from the immediate situation and providing a change of scenery, the child is allowed to focus on something different. Once the child has the opportunity to change perspective, things get better quickly and the child has a better understanding of his place within the family. He also begins to understand the family's concept of acceptable behaviour.

To illustrate his technique, my friend provided a picture of the process which I share with you now:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/kidcar.jpg

Trinity
06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
:laugh2: hmmm wonder if that would work for my 9 year old!

Hagbard Celine
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
LOL.

The whole time I was thinking "Hmm, sounds expensive." (gas costs of taking the kid for a ride.) Nice, thanks for the laugh.

remie
06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
In today's world, most parents think it's improper to spank children. The other day I was talking to one of my friends about methods used to discipline children. We talked about 'time outs', grounding, holding back 'rewards', etc. One of the things we discussed was the act of spanking and my friend told me that no, he does not spank any of his children.

He then explained that what he does is to take the misbehaving child out for a ride in the car, and a talk. He said that such a method usually works, and the child calms down fairly quickly. It very rarely takes much time.

The theory behind such a practice is simple.

By removing the child, in this case his son, from the immediate situation and providing a change of scenery, the child is allowed to focus on something different. Once the child has the opportunity to change perspective, things get better quickly and the child has a better understanding of his place within the family. He also begins to understand the family's concept of acceptable behaviour.

To illustrate his technique, my friend provided a picture of the process which I share with you now:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/kidcar.jpg

My eight year old son would think that this is FUN!!!