PDA

View Full Version : Hey MFM, What Do You Think Of Blacks Now

Sitarro
06-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Black flies that is.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: They show up in gangs and try to take over the state........ is it a "black thing"?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2008/06/23/black_flies_surge_in_maines_clean_rivers/

Black flies surge in Maine's clean rivers
Citing environment's gain, state declines to curb the biting bugs

Residents and tourists have long steeled themselves against the flies' annual warm-weather onslaught, sometimes duct-taping pant legs and wearing screened hoods to keep the deceptively small bugs from delivering bloody bites or crawling into seemingly every body crevice.

But there are now more black flies in more places in Maine, and the reason may be surprising: It's the success of the environmental movement.

Many species of the gnat-sized insects are sticklers for cleanliness. When Maine's rivers were filled with contaminants from paper mills and other industries, only the hardiest black flies laid eggs in them. Now, rivers and streams are progressively cleaner, providing ideal breeding grounds for the annoying pests.

It's an unintended barometer of good ecological health, but Maine officials are adamant they will not mess with nature in any way to provide relief.

"They can be so thick you breathe them in and they get stuck in your throat. They even get under your eyelids," said Julia Brilliott, an Eastport resident who showed off four lumpy red welts on the back of her neck after climbing Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park last week.

red states rule
06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Black flies that is.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2008/06/23/black_flies_surge_in_maines_clean_rivers/

Black flies surge in Maine's clean rivers
Citing environment's gain, state declines to curb the biting bugs

Residents and tourists have long steeled themselves against the flies' annual warm-weather onslaught, sometimes duct-taping pant legs and wearing screened hoods to keep the deceptively small bugs from delivering bloody bites or crawling into seemingly every body crevice.

But there are now more black flies in more places in Maine, and the reason may be surprising: It's the success of the environmental movement.

Many species of the gnat-sized insects are sticklers for cleanliness. When Maine's rivers were filled with contaminants from paper mills and other industries, only the hardiest black flies laid eggs in them. Now, rivers and streams are progressively cleaner, providing ideal breeding grounds for the annoying pests.

It's an unintended barometer of good ecological health, but Maine officials are adamant they will not mess with nature in any way to provide relief.

"They can be so thick you breathe them in and they get stuck in your throat. They even get under your eyelids," said Julia Brilliott, an Eastport resident who showed off four lumpy red welts on the back of her neck after climbing Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park last week.

He will say it is Bush's fault and proves global warming is running wild

retiredman
06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I hate black flies, but their season is blissfully short.

If it wasn't for the black flies, Maine summers would be perfect.

If it wasn't for the snow and cold temperatures, Maine winters would be perfect.

Mexico here I come!

red states rule
06-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Mexico here I come!

The sooner the better

Sitarro
06-24-2008, 07:45 AM
I hate black flies, but their season is blissfully short.

If it wasn't for the black flies, Maine summers would be perfect.

If it wasn't for the snow and cold temperatures, Maine winters would be perfect.

Mexico here I come!

Hate? Shouldn't diversity be the model for your state? I'm sure they don't mean to be the way they are, it's economics. The poor black flies are being discriminated against because of the color of their exoskeleton. Just because fruit flies have had all the advantages for years doesn't make them better flies! Embrace the diversity MFM, invite some black flies to move into your neighborhood, let them eat dinner at your house, you'll feel better about yourself. I'm sure they come there in summer because they need to do what fruit flies think is beneath them....... they have families to raise too ya know.

retiredman
06-24-2008, 07:46 AM
The sooner the better

on that we can agree.... I just have to make that one quick stop in PA.....:lol:

red states rule
06-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Hate? Shouldn't diversity be the model for your state? I'm sure they don't mean to be the way they are, it's economics. The poor black flies are being discriminated against because of the color of their exoskeleton. Just because fruit flies have had all the advantages for years doesn't make them better flies! Embrace the diversity MFM, invite some black flies to move into your neighborhood, let them eat dinner at your house, you'll feel better about yourself. I'm sure they come there in summer because they need to do what fruit flies think is beneath them....... they have families to raise too ya know.

Maybe MFM will bring some Mexican flies to Maine for some diversity

glockmail
06-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Sis used to live on a Lake north of Augusta. They had to spray the window screens every day to keep the little bastards out. Winter was the best season there.

Psychoblues
07-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Your unabashed racism notwithstanding, zero, have you ever listened to the speaking of Senators Snowe and Collins of Maine? Pay attention to them, my friend. They represent much value to the future of the Republican Party!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
09-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Animals and insects notwithstanding, I believe my remarks at least pertinent to the conversation, thank you.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: