PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Commanders admit: We Face A Vietnam Style Collapse

Psychoblues
03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
The Generals and Admirals Know about It. Ask 2nd LT. Bush about it.

"An elite team of officers advising the US commander, General David Petraeus, in Baghdad has concluded that they have six months to win the war in Iraq - or face a Vietnam-style collapse in political and public support that could force the military into a hasty retreat.

The officers - combat veterans who are experts in counter-insurgency - are charged with implementing the "new way forward" strategy announced by George Bush on January 10. The plan includes a controversial "surge" of 21,500 additional American troops to establish security in the Iraqi capital and Anbar province.

But the team, known as the "Baghdad brains trust" and ensconced in the heavily fortified Green Zone, is struggling to overcome a range of entrenched problems in what has become a race against time, according to a former senior administration official familiar with their deliberations.

"They know they are operating under a clock. They know they are going to hear a lot more talk in Washington about 'Plan B' by the autumn - meaning withdrawal. They know the next six-month period is their opportunity. And they say it's getting harder every day," he said."

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2023865,00.html

Maybe, but only maybe, he knows better.

Gunny
03-06-2007, 09:07 PM

"An elite team of officers advising the US commander, General David Petraeus, in Baghdad has concluded that they have six months to win the war in Iraq - or face a Vietnam-style collapse in political and public support that could force the military into a hasty retreat.

The officers - combat veterans who are experts in counter-insurgency - are charged with implementing the "new way forward" strategy announced by George Bush on January 10. The plan includes a controversial "surge" of 21,500 additional American troops to establish security in the Iraqi capital and Anbar province.

But the team, known as the "Baghdad brains trust" and ensconced in the heavily fortified Green Zone, is struggling to overcome a range of entrenched problems in what has become a race against time, according to a former senior administration official familiar with their deliberations.

"They know they are operating under a clock. They know they are going to hear a lot more talk in Washington about 'Plan B' by the autumn - meaning withdrawal. They know the next six-month period is their opportunity. And they say it's getting harder every day," he said."

Operating under a clock is the WHOLE problem. If there is a Vietnam-style collapse, it will be the fault of the same people who caused the one in Vietnam -- pussies like you.

CSM
03-06-2007, 10:20 PM

"a former senior official" ... unnamed of course. Doesn't that raise just a teesny bit of suspicion for you???

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
"a former senior official" ... unnamed of course. Doesn't that raise just a teesny bit of suspicion for you???

It always is 'former' isn't it? Former intellegence, former inspector, former staff member, former CIA blah, blah..Weren't these folks doing their job before they were 'former'? :laugh2:

CSM
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
It always is 'former' isn't it? Former intellegence, former inspector, former staff member, former CIA blah, blah..Weren't these folks doing their job before they were 'former'? :laugh2:

Apparently not. Personally I think it's all the same guy; moved from job to job because he was just plain incompetent....hmmmmmm....maybe it was Psycho!!!! After all, he's been every where and done every thing!

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Apparently not. Personally I think it's all the same guy; moved from job to job because he was just plain incompetent....hmmmmmm....maybe it was Psycho!!!! After all, he's been every where and done every thing!

I think yer on to something. :clap:

Psychoblues
03-11-2007, 04:36 AM
I did my job, chickenshit, and I did it well. I was promoted above my colleagues and commended often.

I think yer on to something. :clap:

The allegations as espoused here by others are simply false.

Are you shittin' or eatin' it?

Gunny
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I did my job, chickenshit, and I did it well. I was promoted above my colleagues and commended often.

The allegations as espoused here by others are simply false.

Are you shittin' or eatin' it?

According to you, you did your job and everybody else's. Simultaneously.:laugh2:

Psychoblues
03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Just when did I ever say that, gunny?

According to you, you did your job and everybody else's. Simultaneously.:laugh2:

No doubt, I did more than you but that is an ambition and ability difference as opposed to your rank and military position fixation, don't you think?