PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Proposals

red states rule
06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
I wonder if people really know what Obama stands for, and what his policies will do to America. No country has ever taxed their way to prosperity

Consider Obama's Proposals
By Dick Morris

snip

Consider his proposals:

• In effect, he would legislate a 60 percent tax bracket for upper-income Americans, killing all initiative and innovation. He'd raise the top bracket to 40 percent. He'd apply FICA taxes to all income, not just that under $100,000 as at present. So add 40 percent plus FICA's 12.5 percent plus Medicare's 2 percent plus state and local taxes averaging, after deduction, at 5-6 percent, and you have a 60 percent bracket.

• He would double the capital gains tax, saddling the 50 percent of Americans who own stock with dramatically higher taxes.

• He'd double the dividend tax, hitting elderly coupon-clippers now retired and depending on fixed incomes.

• He wants to cover 12 million illegal immigrants with federally subsidized health insurance, dramatically driving up costs and forcing federal rationing of healthcare. As in the U.K. and Canada, you will not be permitted certain medical procedures if the bureaucrats decide you are not worth it.

• He proposes requiring Homeland Security operatives to notify terror suspects that they are under investigation within seven days of starting the investigation.

• He says that unless they can establish that there is "probable cause to believe that a certain individual is linked to a specific terrorist group," Homeland Security cannot seize his documents and search his business. The current standard is only that the search be "relevant" to a terror investigation.

• In effect, he would legislate a 60 percent tax bracket for upper-income Americans, killing all initiative and innovation. He'd raise the top bracket to 40 percent. He'd apply FICA taxes to all income, not just that under $100,000 as at present. So add 40 percent plus FICA's 12.5 percent plus Medicare's 2 percent plus state and local taxes averaging, after deduction, at 5-6 percent, and you have a 60 percent bracket.

He does not oppose $5-per-gallon gasoline but only says that he wishes there had been a more "gradual adjustment" to the higher prices.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/06/obamas_new_strategy.html

red states rule
06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Now the left most adored billionaiore is now opposed to a tax increase.

Is it because he knows it will be bad for the economy, or because he will have to find a way to pay it?

Media Darling Warren Buffett Decries Obama’s Windfall Profits Tax
By Jeff Poor | June 25, 2008 - 16:39 ET

In the past when Warren Buffett has spoken out the "super rich" needing to pay a higher tax rate, the media have hung on his every word. But, now that he has spoken out against a windfall profits tax on oil, will they notice?

Buffett said he disapproved of the windfall profits taxes in an interview with CNBC's Becky Quick on "Power Lunch" on June 25.

"I think it is very hard to have windfall taxes," Buffett said. "Steel has doubled in price. Is that a windfall for the steel producers? Sure. Corn is $7 a bushel; soybeans are at $15 a bushel. I don't think any candidate in his right mind with the number of electoral votes in farm states would say you ought to tax farms specially because they are getting a windfall."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2008/06/25/media-darling-warren-buffett-decries-obama-s-windfall-profits-tax

and

http://businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080625160220.aspx

red states rule
06-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I guess the Obama supporters do not have anything to say in their boys defense :laugh2:

mundame
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I guess the Obama supporters do not have anything to say in their boys defense :laugh2:

This is going to be one big experiment in leftism and corruption we're headed into, RSR. Unless McCain wins, when it'll just be more and more war, presumably, till we're all consumed. Neither candidate is any good at all, surely.

red states rule
06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
This is going to be one big experiment in leftism and corruption we're headed into, RSR. Unless McCain wins, when it'll just be more and more war, presumably, till we're all consumed. Neither candidate is any good at all, surely.

The experiment was tried in 1976 with the election of Pres Peanut Carter

We will have the same (or worse) results if Obama wins

How the hell will higher taxes, more goverment spending and regulation improve the economy,a nd the lives of the folks?

mundame
06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
How the hell will higher taxes, more goverment spending and regulation improve the economy,a nd the lives of the folks?

Darned if I know. I guess it'll improve the lives of all the people who sign up to work for the government; I guess it'll improve the lives of all the blacks who get white money.

Improve the lives of normal working people?

No, not so much.

red states rule
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Darned if I know. I guess it'll improve the lives of all the people who sign up to work for the government; I guess it'll improve the lives of all the blacks who get white money.

Improve the lives of normal working people?

No, not so much.

It will make their lives worse Mundane. When you want to tax something, you want to enciurage the activity, correct?

By raising taxes on the activity, you discourage people from engaging in the activity.

Why would you work harder Mundame if you know more of your earned money will go to the goverment? Why would you take risk and invest when you know more of the profits will be taken by the government?

If you own a business, why employ people when you are already have tax increases on your profits, NOW you have higher payroll taxes to deal with?

It is basic economics, yet libs will never pass the course

mundame
06-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup.

We got a situation here...............................

Neither candidate is ADG.*

*Any Damn Good

red states rule
06-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup.

We got a situation here...............................

Neither candidate is ADG.*

*Any Damn Good

McCain would be better by a hair