PDA

View Full Version : cost to paint kitchen

Yurt
06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
landlord wants to work a deal on the rent if we paint the kitchen. he at first said $200, i said no way, then raised it to $300. he supplies everything, we just do the paint.

kitch is average, lots of cupboards though. seems to me that painting a kitchen is harder than it looks, my guess is you have to sand the cupboards first...

any ballpark figures i should tell him to take of the rent (well over 1K a month) or should i not bother as i really don't want to spend a great amount of time on it.

retiredman
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
painting a kitchen is a royal pain in the ass. How much do you value your time?

Abbey Marie
06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
On the positive side, you avoid having a stranger in your house, and you get it done to your satisfaction.

retiredman
06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
On the positive side, you avoid having a stranger in your house, and you get it done to your satisfaction.

that all depends on his skills as a painter.

hjmick
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM
I come from the school of "Why do it yourself when you can pay someone else to do it?" I followed that with post graduate work from the school of "I married a woman who loves to do that sort of stuff herself and doesn't expect me to do it."

Abbey Marie
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
that all depends on his skills as a painter.

Perhaps Yurt would be satisifed with whatever his painting abilites are.

Now Mrs. Yurt is another question... ;)

Yurt
06-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Perhaps Yurt would be satisifed with whatever his painting abilites are.

Now Mrs. Yurt is another question... ;)

lol, true, she loves renovating wood furniture, but cabinets are a different thing i told her, but she wants the challenge. it is not a job i want to do doing the day, but rather only in the evenings or weekends and if we paint it, we get to choose the paint color, if i can do it in a couple of weeks, say maybe 15 hours a piece, then it seems 300 is way to cheap, maybe i'll call up a painter and get an estimate

Mr. P
06-25-2008, 06:16 PM
landlord wants to work a deal on the rent if we paint the kitchen. he at first said $200, i said no way, then raised it to $300. he supplies everything, we just do the paint.

kitch is average, lots of cupboards though. seems to me that painting a kitchen is harder than it looks, my guess is you have to sand the cupboards first...

any ballpark figures i should tell him to take of the rent (well over 1K a month) or should i not bother as i really don't want to spend a great amount of time on it.

I believe our member "TheStripey1" has a professional painting background in Cali...send him a PM on how to estimate cost over there.

Yurt
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I believe our member "TheStripey1" has a professional painting background in Cali...send him a PM on how to estimate cost over there.

cool thanks

midcan5
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Cost of Painting Kitchen 500 dollars, ability to tell that sweet looking girl about the experience of painting your kitchen, Priceless.

jimnyc
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I would come up with a workable figure/contract to work per hour. If you have to sand down a typical size kitchen, prime & paint, it could be lengthy and tedious. Better to have a contract of sorts, with a "per hour" stipulation. It would suck if you took $300 and it ended up taking you, let's say 8 hours to complete. That's $37.50 and hour if you do it yourself and $18.75 apiece if it's 2 of you doing the work. Not bad, but I have no idea of the going rates around here let alone in another state!

Yurt
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Cost of Painting Kitchen 500 dollars, ability to tell that sweet looking girl about the experience of painting your kitchen, Priceless.

very good point, she would love the memory of working on that together.

jim, yeah, a contract for sure, i think i like midcan's idea (hell has frozen :laugh2:), 500-600, they buy all supplys, she would love it, she still talks about that huge oak table we did in salem....and literally :coffee:

hjmick
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/signhell.jpg

manu1959
06-25-2008, 09:07 PM

painting kitchen cabinets is a nightmare.......call a painter and have him give you a quote.....

Yurt
06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
professional, without a look, but a good description:

5-700 if it is just a paint over, which is all the LL wants

manu1959
06-25-2008, 09:37 PM
professional, without a look, but a good description:

5-700 if it is just a paint over, which is all the LL wants

well i have painted my kitchen and cabinets......

you will need to take all the doors off and drawers out and remove all the hardware......

then you need to sand every thing.....

then you need to prime everything....

then paint everything.....

then clear coat all the cabinets so they do not chip.....

three full weekends minimum to do it right.....

Yurt
06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
well i have painted my kitchen and cabinets......

you will need to take all the doors off and drawers out and remove all the hardware......

then you need to sand every thing.....

then you need to prime everything....

then paint everything.....

then clear coat all the cabinets so they do not chip.....

three full weekends minimum to do it right.....

thats what i thought, but this painter told me i did not have to sand everything if i don't want (LL doesn't) as long as paint is same or similar color...

what about those new mini rollers, i heard they work good...but i don't want that much trouble if i can't use the cabinents like the table afterwards

Mr. P
06-25-2008, 10:49 PM
thats what i thought, but this painter told me i did not have to sand everything if i don't want (LL doesn't) as long as paint is same or similar color...

what about those new mini rollers, i heard they work good...but i don't want that much trouble if i can't use the cabinents like the table afterwards

You don't need to sand, but I promise you need to CLEAN every one (lots of stuff coats the surface over time) which is as much work.

manu1959
06-25-2008, 10:52 PM

if you want the new paint to stick and not chip you need to sand and prime......

the new mini rollers are fine for laying the pint on but you should brush it.....and then acrylic paints for millwork look like shit......oil base enamel sprayed is the way to go.....but alas not in california....

Yurt
06-25-2008, 11:23 PM
hmmm, must think about this...

manu1959
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
hmmm, must think about this...

i have painted my kitchen twice...once wrong and once right......anyway.....how valubale is your time......more or less valuable than 300 ducats.....

Yurt
06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
i have painted my kitchen twice...once wrong and once right......anyway.....how valubale is your time......more or less valuable than 300 ducats.....

depends, will it take longer than an hour :coffee:

i was just thinking of a night/weekend project over time... not really to make money, just get some off the rent and have fun doing our cabinents

manu1959
06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
depends, will it take longer than an hour :coffee:

i was just thinking of a night/weekend project over time... not really to make money, just get some off the rent and have fun doing our cabinents

you bill out at 300 dude....you don't make 300 and hour.....and if you do then you should hire someone so you can go to the beach.....

fun painting.....unless you and your wife are naked and finger painting each other with baby oil......it ain't fun.....

Yurt
06-25-2008, 11:54 PM
you bill out at 300 dude....you don't make 300 and hour.....and if you do then you should hire someone so you can go to the beach.....

fun painting.....unless you and your wife are naked and finger painting each other with baby oil......it ain't fun.....

i was kidding

jackass
06-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Dont forget its just a rental, and if the LL doesnt want it sanded, just paint it.