PDA

View Full Version : Justice Antonin Scalia: Al Gore to blame for 2000 US election mess

stephanie
06-26-2008, 04:45 PM
By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 9:49PM BST 26/06/2008
The 2000 presidential election debacle was the fault of Al Gore, who should have followed Richard Nixon's 1960 example and conceded without legal action, according to the Supreme Court's leading conservative judge.

AFP/GETTY
The 2000 election remains a source of discontent for Democrats
"Richard Nixon, when he lost to [John F.] Kennedy thought that the election had been stolen in Chicago, which was very likely true with the system at the time," Justice Antonin Scalia told The Telegraph.

"But he did not even think about bringing a court challenge. That was his prerogative. So you know if you don't like it, don't blame it on me.

"I didn't bring it into the courts. Mr Gore brought it into the courts.

read the rest.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2200495/Justice-Antonin-Scalia-Al-Gore-to-blame-for-2000-US-election-mess.html

CockySOB
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 9:49PM BST 26/06/2008

---< snip >---

read the rest.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2200495/Justice-Antonin-Scalia-Al-Gore-to-blame-for-2000-US-election-mess.html

Justice Scalia said he thought that the United States was "over-lawed", leading to too many lawyers in the country.

"I don't think our legal system should be that complex. I think that any system that requires that many of the country's best minds, and they are the best minds, is too complex.

My sentiments exactly!

Kathianne
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
In all fairness, contrary to what his supporters would say, his inclination was to concede. He was convinced by his handlers to oppose. It certainly made a mess of things.

BTW both USA Today and NY Times recounts long after the election found Bush won popular vote too. Just saying...

Yurt
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
not really sure i follow scalia here, he seems to say, well, nixon was probably right, but he did not choose to fight it...gore, well, he made us decide, and gore was wrong, so people shouldn't bring cases like this to the SCOTUS....

i highly respect scalia, but the flaw in his reasoning seems to be that if nixon had brought his grievance before the court, if scalia was on the court, he "probably" would have found for nixon.

i agree with him though, that people should not blame the high court for the election, gore brought and gore must deal with their decision, that is why they are the high court. so quit crying over taking your case to the high court and losing.

glockmail
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
In all fairness, contrary to what his supporters would say, his inclination was to concede. He was convinced by his handlers to oppose. It certainly made a mess of things.... Some leader.

midcan5
06-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Scalia is a fascist, those of us brought up in the Catholic faith know the type well, better than you and they know everything. Scary that so narrow minded a man made it to the supreme court.

"Justice Scalia spoke on these matters at the University of Chicago Divinity School in January, beginning with the ritual disclaimer that ''my views on the subject have nothing to do with how I vote in capital cases''; his remarks appeared in the May issue of First Things: The Journal of Religion and Public Life. They are supplemented by his dissent to the court's decision on June 20 that mentally retarded people should not be executed. Justice Scalia's remarks show bitterness against democracy, strong dislike for the Constitution's approach to religion and eager advocacy for the submission of the individual to the state. It is a chilling mixture for an American."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E7D61031F93BA35754C0A9649C8B 63

manu1959
06-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Scalia is a fascist, those of us brought up in the Catholic faith know the type well, better than you and they know everything. Scary that so narrow minded a man made it to the supreme court.

"Justice Scalia spoke on these matters at the University of Chicago Divinity School in January, beginning with the ritual disclaimer that ''my views on the subject have nothing to do with how I vote in capital cases''; his remarks appeared in the May issue of First Things: The Journal of Religion and Public Life. They are supplemented by his dissent to the court's decision on June 20 that mentally retarded people should not be executed. Justice Scalia's remarks show bitterness against democracy, strong dislike for the Constitution's approach to religion and eager advocacy for the submission of the individual to the state. It is a chilling mixture for an American."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E7D61031F93BA35754C0A9649C8B 63

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

06-27-2008, 08:14 PM

Seriously, do you ever stop to think before you say complete nonsense? I know its easier to just label those who disagree with you fascists rather than come to terms with the fact that the policy you are advocating which puts more power in the hands of government is far more fascist, but most of us like having discussions about facts.

Yurt
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM

you do realize your piece is solely opinion, not fact. oh, wait, if it matches your opinion, it is fact. sorry to burst your bubble genius....

and again, i ask you to give one example of a ruling where he rules for fascist ideology....provide proof

is that to difficult for you?