PDA

View Full Version : Stronger emissions plan urged

stephanie
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Environmental and land-use groups are urging the state Air Resources Board to bolster its plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions with more aggressive measures to slow the growth in the number of miles Californians drive.

At a public meeting Thursday, the board released the draft of a strategy to cut the state's greenhouse gas emissions back to 1990 levels by 2020.

SNIP:
Earlier studies had contemplated that new policies could cut the 2020 figure by an additional 50 million miles daily. Several regional bodies, including the Sacramento Area Council of Governments, have projected that deeper cuts are possible through changes in land-use planning.

"Regions want that number to be higher," Cohen told the board Thursday. "We need ARB's help in getting some enabling regulations."

The ARB has considered several ways to reduce driving:

• "Pay-as-you-drive" insurance, which ties premiums directly to miles traveled.

• Congestion pricing, which charges a fee for vehicles driving crowded routes at peak times.

• Fees on housing developments located far from job and retail centers, which could be used to fund incentives for infill development.

the rest here and comments.
http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/1043564.html

hjmick
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
If California had a better mass transit system, this shit would make some sense.

06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
at what point are these nut cases going to conclude that the easiest way to cut "green house" gases is to kill everyone? It is the logical conclusion to their thinking... scary thought.

April15
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Well we have thought about the kill everyone thing but have narrowed it down to just conservatives. It won't be long.

DragonStryk72
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Jesus, we already have the strictest emissions standards of any country in the world today, how much more do they think we can do? I mean, let's leverage our car use vs, say, China's. It won't matter if every single one of us bikes to work (I do this, but then, I love my bicycle, and I'm insane), and China would still bury the world in emissions.

stephanie
06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
They won't be satisfied until they have full control over your lives, either by taxation or if they have to.....by force.

this is just the beginning.

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2008, 05:11 AM
these are the folks who argue we shouldn't drill in ANWR because it would take ten years before we got any oil out......I think we should respond that we shouldn't take any action to reduce pollution, because it would take ten years before we saw any result from it.......