PDA

View Full Version : Is Drilling equivalent to Welfare?

midcan5
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
I have been thinking about the price of oil, and the whimpering from the republicans. Oil prices are driven by supply, demand, and competition. Demand is driven by lifestyle. Now if a women cannot make a mistake and welfare participants cannot make a mistake then Americans have made bad decisions regarding energy and should suffer the same social darwinistic plight. So I guess I don't understand why republicans are blaming democrats for their own bad decisions.

MtnBiker
06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Demand is driven by growing economies. Would you rather economies of countries around the world not grow?

midcan5
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Demand is driven by growing economies. Would you rather economies of countries around the world not grow?

Here I am referring to the demand we Americans have for oil based products. If we didn't want it its price would have no impact.

MtnBiker
06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Oil is a world commodidity, Americans are not the only consumers that are increasing demand.

namvet
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I have been thinking about the price of oil, and the whimpering from the republicans. Oil prices are driven by supply, demand, and competition. Demand is driven by lifestyle. Now if a women cannot make a mistake and welfare participants cannot make a mistake then Americans have made bad decisions regarding energy and should suffer the same social darwinistic plight. So I guess I don't understand why republicans are blaming democrats for their own bad decisions.

a great comparion between apples and oranges :lame2:

Trigg
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Where do you get republicans blaiming democrates???????

Us gas use is down, which has lead to the MSM releasing articles regarding the loss of federal revenue due to the gas tax.

As far as welfare. There are many on welfare who are using it as a TEMPORARY safetynet while they get themselves back on track financially. Unfortunatally there are also MANY who have learned how to use the system and have no intention of getting themeselves off. That is why we need workfare programs so that the people don't stay on welfare forever and lead their children into the system. There are many families out there who have never worked and have no intention of every working. These are the people who need to be kicked off. For the other hard working people who've ended up of welfare for various reasons, mistakes and hardships happen to good people and those are the people welfare is there to help.

namvet
06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Where do you get republicans blaiming democrates???????

Us gas use is down, which has lead to the MSM releasing articles regarding the loss of federal revenue due to the gas tax.

As far as welfare. There are many on welfare who are using it as a TEMPORARY safetynet while they get themselves back on track financially. Unfortunatally there are also MANY who have learned how to use the system and have no intention of getting themeselves off. That is why we need workfare programs so that the people don't stay on welfare forever and lead their children into the system. There are many families out there who have never worked and have no intention of every working. These are the people who need to be kicked off. For the other hard working people who've ended up of welfare for various reasons, mistakes and hardships happen to good people and those are the people welfare is there to help.

he's thinking ONLY democraps drive.

06-27-2008, 05:05 PM

There of course is a huge difference here:

Those seeking welfare are doing so as a result of their choices and circumstances. The government didnt create the problem.

Those suffering from the gas situation are 1)Not responsible for the supply shortage; 2)Government did through overregulation and taxation

You do understand the difference between a government created problem and a poor choice problem don't you?

Yurt
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM

the dems are creating a false level of supply. lets say you have wheatfield and that wheatfield supplies your town with 50% of its wheat or lets say you have land that could become a wheatfield and supply your town with 50% of its wheat. if someone comes along, dems, and tells you that no, you can't produce wheat because we want to preserve the land in its natural state. the supply side of the equation becomes not a true supply, rather, a false level of the supply available.

Dilloduck
06-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Yes. Drilling for oil is exactly the same as welfare. :rolleyes:

midcan5
06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes. Drilling for oil is exactly the same as welfare. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you are able to see the connection. Irresponsible behavior is irresponsible behavior, time for Americans to stand up and be responsible for their excessive and wasteful use of energy. Time for competition and time for alternate means to get us between here and there without destroying what little niceness is left of this world. (oh i know...)

manu1959
06-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Here I am referring to the demand we Americans have for oil based products. If we didn't want it its price would have no impact.

the demand has increased in three countries and that has driven up the price

production has dropped in three countries and that has driven up the price

to think that americans are the cause for all this just goes to show how egocentric you all are.....

Yurt
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear you are able to see the connection. Irresponsible behavior is irresponsible behavior, time for Americans to stand up and be responsible for their excessive and wasteful use of energy. Time for competition and time for alternate means to get us between here and there without destroying what little niceness is left of this world. (oh i know...)

as a typical dem, you skip right over a post about false supply...if i don't agree with it, it doesn't exist...

Hobbit
06-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes, people should be held responsible for the consequences of their own actions, and I think the Democrats who have blocked added oil infrastructure and drilling, not the American people, should be suffering the full consequences of their childishness. In economics, it's called an externality, which is when there are economic costs and benefits associated with behavior which are not experienced by the entity which caused those costs or benefits. The Democrats have acted like little children on energy for years, screaming and crying every time somebody proposes anything that could help at all. Now, everyone is having to pay the costs of their behavior.

We also have what we call 'false market forces,' that is, forces in the market which interfere with the normal functions of competition. Normally, when a shortage like this comes up, the market would respond. Those who supply the shorted good would find new sources while other companies would present cheaper alternatives. The government, however, has blocked increased production of the current product AND the proliferation of all cheap alternatives (coal, nuclear, etc.).

Yurt
06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
We also have what we call 'false market forces,' that is, forces in the market which interfere with the normal functions of competition. Normally, when a shortage like this comes up, the market would respond. Those who supply the shorted good would find new sources while other companies would present cheaper alternatives. The government, however, has blocked increased production of the current product AND the proliferation of all cheap alternatives (coal, nuclear, etc.).

yes, that is what i was trying to say.

DragonStryk72
06-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Okay, the analogy is bad, I give that, but in answer I will say this: We do need to get off the oil teat, we're sucking up too much, but for that to happen, someone would actually have to be a LEADER, instead, we have only politicians. We do need to get back to being a producer nation, making use of coal to oil, as well as drilling and refineries, while at the same time, converting over to more eco-friendly ways.

Now, how to do this: Well, NYC had a good idea when it mandated that the taxi fleet would go green by 2012, and that's come along beautifully. Yes, it is only a drop in the pan, but if we take that to the next logical step, and convert the various government vehicles over, then we can see where that would improve mass production of hybrid cars, as well as accelerating production of a more viable electric car.

One of the main problems in this debate is the difficulty of no one being willing to compromise at all. The environmental lobby could be well on its way to its goal, but they want it now, now, now, stamping their foot like an irate child whining for ice cream. Meanwhile, the Oil people are no better, screaming as well at the top of their lungs how the 'tree-huggers' have no conception of reality. Both have their head up their ass, and are impeding the process for everyone.

06-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Okay, the analogy is bad, I give that, but in answer I will say this: We do need to get off the oil teat, we're sucking up too much, but for that to happen, someone would actually have to be a LEADER, instead, we have only politicians. We do need to get back to being a producer nation, making use of coal to oil, as well as drilling and refineries, while at the same time, converting over to more eco-friendly ways.

Now, how to do this: Well, NYC had a good idea when it mandated that the taxi fleet would go green by 2012, and that's come along beautifully. Yes, it is only a drop in the pan, but if we take that to the next logical step, and convert the various government vehicles over, then we can see where that would improve mass production of hybrid cars, as well as accelerating production of a more viable electric car.

One of the main problems in this debate is the difficulty of no one being willing to compromise at all. The environmental lobby could be well on its way to its goal, but they want it now, now, now, stamping their foot like an irate child whining for ice cream. Meanwhile, the Oil people are no better, screaming as well at the top of their lungs how the 'tree-huggers' have no conception of reality. Both have their head up their ass, and are impeding the process for everyone.

The tree huggers do have no sense of reality.

Why is it so difficult to understand that legislatures cannot just mandate scientific advancement? You can't just magic new solutions up because you pass a law.

Especially when there is nothing wrong with oil to begin with. The only problem with oil is it advances CAPITALISM. Which is the real target of all this.

midcan5
06-28-2008, 09:57 AM
We had an oil crisis in the 70's, I know many don't remember it, but then as now there was this gnashing of teeth and efforts to wean us off oil. Guess what, just like lazy humans we didn't do much. The cities grew somewhat but there were no large scale effort to do anything. When this bubble bursts it will be same, some will remember, most will still do those things that will lead again to the gnashing of teeth and the pointing of fingers.

5stringJeff
06-28-2008, 11:46 AM
We had an oil crisis in the 70's, I know many don't remember it, but then as now there was this gnashing of teeth and efforts to wean us off oil. Guess what, just like lazy humans we didn't do much. The cities grew somewhat but there were no large scale effort to do anything. When this bubble bursts it will be same, some will remember, most will still do those things that will lead again to the gnashing of teeth and the pointing of fingers.

The biggest reason there was such a crisis was that the government rationed gasoline. Without rationing, market forces would have driven up prices to the market-efficient point, stabilizing demand with supply.

06-28-2008, 01:54 PM

and we got out of it by increasing supply.

But you on the left have been trying to push down supply so that we have another oil crisis since then.

midcan5
06-28-2008, 03:39 PM
and we got out of it by increasing supply.

But you on the left have been trying to push down supply so that we have another oil crisis since then.

We did, egads, I am old fashioned and hate fighting with women but come on....

http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/MidEast/04/horton/horton.htm

Silver
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah, we had fair warning in the 70's....their was actually a shortage of oil....
But the fools have prevented us from addressing the problem with REAL solutions....like drilling for our own oil....like putting to use our vast coal reserves....like building more nuclear power plants.....
THESE are the REAL solutions to this REAL PROBLEM....

What has the left given us? Inane, stupid, and pie in the sky suggestions...

We need to build windmills....wtf
We need to tax oil companies...wtf
We need electric cars....wtf...where do they imagine electricity comes from
We need solar panels....etc...
We need to use our food crops for gas....and starve the nation

In reality, all we need is access to our own natural resources..OUR OWN OIL!