PDA

View Full Version : My heart goes out to this family

-Cp
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
While I'm aware this isn't "USA Military" - they are our brothers in arms on the WOT and there wasn't another section I could find which would be more fitting:

Iraq soldier's daughter chokes to death on grape

http://img.dailymail.co.uk//i/pix/2007/03_01/williamsPA0603_228x260.jpg

A little girl has died after choking on a grape at home while her soldier father was serving on the frontline in Iraq.

Two-year- old Katie Williams, who was asthmatic, had been eating from a bag of fruit when she started having difficulty breathing.

It is believed one of the grapes became lodged in her windpipe and she began to suffocate. Her mother Zoe called an ambulance but paramedics could not save her.

Katie's father Simon, 27, a Lance Corporal with the 2nd Battalion The Rifles (formerly the Royal Green Jackets), was due to go on patrol in Basra, Southern Iraq, when he was told of the tragedy.

Within minutes a Lynx helicopter landed at the Shat Al Arab Hotel, one of the British military bases, and flew him to Basra Air Station, where he was put on the first flight back to the UK.

Last night, the couple, who also have three sons, paid tribute to their only daughter.

"Katie was a beautiful little girl," they said.

"Whenever we went out somewhere, like the supermarket, she would just start to chat to anybody. She was great fun.

"Katie was a daddy's girl and loved nothing better than getting muddy and dirty with her three brothers. Playing with dolls was not for Katie.

"We are distraught at the death of our beautiful daughter, but we have taken great comfort from the many kind messages of support we have received from so many people." The tragedy happened last Tuesday at the family home on Weeton Army camp, near Kirkham, Lancashire.

Mrs Williams, 33, was living on the camp with Katie and her three brothers, Guy, 12, Jake, nine, and Joshua, seven, while her husband was away serving in Iraq.

An inquest into the toddler's death has been opened and adjourned at Blackpool Coroner's office.

Deputy Coroner Michael Woosnam was told that Katie suffered from asthma and the cause of death was asphyxia and inhalation of the grape.

A private family funeral will take place tomorrow.

Katie's death follows three similar cases in the UK in the last 12 months. In February last year, 17-month-old Kevin da Silva Policarpo, from West London, died after choking on a grape during a supermarket trip.

The fruit lodged in his windpipe, blocking off his air supply, and ambulance crews were unable to revive him.

In July, three-year-old Ellie Conlon, from Redditch, Worcestershire, choked to death on a sausage while on a day out in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.

And in November, six-year- old Shannon Hennessey, from Castleford, West Yorkshire, died after choking on her school lunch.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23387933-details/Iraq+soldier's+daughter+chokes+to+death+on+grape/article.do

glockmail
03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Man that sucks. You'd think a grape would be the easiest thing to heimlick out of a kid.

Nienna
03-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Look at those blue eyes! So sad! :(