PDA

View Full Version : Iraq's civil war leaves women marginalised and at risk

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Sad to see things getting worse for woman all over the place in the Muslim world but especially in a country we invaded and have considerable power/responsibility to.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/womeniraqrights;_ylt=ApYajnYVwdFI0FXlbIMKNHYDW7oF

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Iraq's sectarian war, which followed decades of repression and economic sanctions, has left the country's women marginalised, afraid and prey to increasingly radical ideological factions.

As activists around the world mark International Women's Day, Fatima, a 55-year-old Baghdad gynaecologist, will try as best she can to deal with the needs of the war-weary women crowding her bare waiting room.

"Often, the problems are simply psychological. They come to talk about their husbands who have been killed or being driven out of their neighbourhoods," she told AFP at her surgery.

Is the situation getting worse for Iraqi women? "Of course, of course, of course," she replied, as the city's latest daily power cut plunged the sparse treatment room into darkness.

"Pregnant women can't go to hospital if they go into labour during the overnight curfew. More and more of them are dying, along with their babies," she said, apologising for not having precise statistics.

In fact, independent figures are hard to find in war-torn Baghdad.

According to UN health agencies, maternal mortality doubled between 1989 and 2001 under the effects of the economic embargo imposed on Saddam Hussein's regime.

Since the 2003 US invasion and 2005 elections, Iraq's health ministry has fallen under the control of a radical Shiite Islamist faction loyal to anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

Now, Fatima says, many Sunni women are scared to attend clinics or travel for treatment through districts controlled by Shiite militias.

On the day AFP visited the surgery, Fatima treated two women suffering from what she called "collateral damage" from the war outside.

The first suffered a miscarriage due to the trauma of losing a close relative to the violence. The other was infertile and disappointed to find that Baghdad's in-vitro fertilisation equipment has been looted.

"Now only the rich can afford such treatment, by flying to Jordan," sighed Fatima, whose name has been changed to protect her and her patients.

Of course, all Iraqis male or female are in some way or another touched by the violence raging in the country. Nevetheless, many argue that women's rights have particularly suffered amid the radicalisation of society.

Layla al-Alkhafaji, a 49-year-old member of parliament, was elected on the ticket of the United Iraqi Alliance, the main Shiite bloc.

She has herself adopted Islamic dress -- a black abbaya -- when she goes out and, in common with many other Iraqi women, is very careful not to draw any attention to herself.

"Women in Iraq used to drive cars. Myself, I don't take this risk. It would bring people's attention. Women try everything to avoid attention, " she told AFP, lamenting in particular the damage to female education.

"The situation is shrinking our freedom to go out by ourselves," she said.

"Even going to school: With attacks by takfiris (Sunni extremists) and the kidnapping of women, some families do not allow their girls to go to school. Not because they are against education, but because they are scared."

According to the United Nations, three-quarters of Iraqi women are illiterate, compared to only 44 percent of men.

Alongside the harassment suffered by women from extremists on all sides, the war condemns dozens of women every day to a life of widowhood, often lonely and rejected by surviving relatives.

Amid all the suffering, there are fewer and fewer organisations working to improve the lot of Iraqi women. Almost no international agencies can work safely, and Iraqi insitutions are often forced to close up shop.

One local women's group ceased its actvities in October last year, for what its last press release said was security reasons. Now, its founder does not want to speak -- even anonymously -- about the situation.

"Although I have left Iraq, there are still some members of my family there and I am afraid they may be exposed and killed. Therefore I apologise, but I can't give any interview to you," she told AFP by telephone.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
In pakistan as well.

Violent debate on women's rights in Pakistan
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070306/wl_csm/opakrights

CSM
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I notice the same thing in Christian nations that follow the Bible ...

oh wai, no I don't. Maybe the Bible isn't as "bad" as the Koran, eh?

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
In pakistan as well.

Violent debate on women's rights in Pakistan
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070306/wl_csm/opakrights

War sucks for everyone---people need to think about that before they associate with those who are intent on killing the citizens of a large and powerful country. Maybe those mullahs outta rethink a few of the fatwahs and jihads and stuff. Or do you think America is just evil and really enjoys just making life miserable for the Isalmic women ?

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
No Maybe the followers have the bible live in a culture that has moved on. The ME hasn't yet, that doesn't mean the religious text are that different on the issue or that the Koran is worse on woman’s issues. Christian Europe was just as bad at one time. It's a cultural thing not a religious thing I'm thinking. We in the west have set aside the more archaic laws of our religious text which is a good thing and hopefully the feminists in the ME will one day be able to do the same in their area.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Or do you think America is just evil and really enjoys just making life miserable for the Isalmic women ?
No but I do think America started this war and some of these problems by invading Iraq.

darin
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
How do you fix a dishwasher?

Kick her in the butt.

:)

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
No but I do think America started this war and some of these problems by invading Iraq.

I realize that you try to pretend that Iraq is not a part of the war on terror but it is and America didn't start it. If they stop--we will stop.

Gaffer
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
The problem for the iraqi women is islam. And the sects of islam that are fighting one another.

The bloody days of christiandom were short lived compared to the muslims. And anyone comparing those days with todays muslims is just grasping for straws.

:pee: islam

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I realize that you try to pretend that Iraq is not a part of the war on terror but it is and America didn't start it. If they stop--we will stop.
Iraq had very little terrorist activity compared to other ME countries yet it was invaded. That doesn't make much sense.

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Iraq had very little terrorist activity compared to other ME countries yet it was invaded. That doesn't make much sense.

agreed--A lot of people don't get it. I don't think I got the whole Balkan thing either but it was one a the few things I backed Clinton on.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Well there are plenty of terrorists there now. The only problem being they will be able to outlast us and we may have made more by the invasion in the first place.

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Well there are plenty of terrorists there now. The only problem being they will be able to outlast us and we may have made more by the invasion in the first place.

yup there are---all the better reason to stay there and kill em. Hard to prove we "created" more terrorists but if they want to meet the same fate as thier thousands of dead buddies so be it.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
You can't kill an idea with guns and bombs. That is what is motivating those people and it will spread faster than you can kill the people who hold them. Hearts and minds and all that is also needed.

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:25 PM
You can't kill an idea with guns and bombs. That is what is motivating those people and it will spread faster than you can kill the people who hold them. Hearts and minds and all that is also needed.

Their hearts and minds were already flooded with hate-America propaganda from the day they were born and you CAN make an idea look pretty shitty when you show people the results of thinking that way.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Except when those people have little to no fear of death and don't mind dragging the rest of the innocent population down with them. Don't see this war working out, sorry.

darin
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
women should spend less time on the puter, and more time ironing.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Sure is a lot of news on womans' issues today.

Security Council urges end to violence against women in armed conflicts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070307/wl_afp/womenassaultun;_ylt=AhGe7oVEzLvrOQiNQe.y14p34T0D

Dilloduck
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Sure is a lot of news on womans' issues today.

Security Council urges end to violence against women in armed conflicts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070307/wl_afp/womenassaultun;_ylt=AhGe7oVEzLvrOQiNQe.y14p34T0D

Ya--I think since Hillary is making the election a feminist referendum we are going to hear a WHOLE lot more. :lame2:

darin
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
How do you know when a woman is about to say something smart?

- She starts her sentence with "A man once told me..."

Nienna
03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
women should spend less time on the puter, and more time ironing.

I will get right off the puter, and do that!

darin
03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I will get right off the puter, and do that!

you are the strongest, most womanly, most 'completely and wonderfully 'woman'-woman I've met. :)

03-08-2007, 04:35 AM
The problem for the iraqi women is islam. And the sects of islam that are fighting one another.

The bloody days of christiandom were short lived compared to the muslims. And anyone comparing those days with todays muslims is just grasping for straws.

:pee: islam

The so called "bloody days" of christendom were mearly secular political struggles disguising themselves as religious war.

03-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Except when those people have little to no fear of death and don't mind dragging the rest of the innocent population down with them. Don't see this war working out, sorry.

History always repeats itself. This is exactly what was said about the Japanese Kamikazees. If you don't realize it, we kicked their butts.

The fact is ideas can be beaten. With weapons and with better ideas.

LiberalNation
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
We also used the automic bomb to win that war. Not gona use that kind of force in this day and age.

CSM
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
We also used the automic bomb to win that war. Not gona use that kind of force in this day and age.

One would hope not! However, what do ou think would happen if North Korea accidently got one of those nukes they have to actually work in say Tokyo?

glockmail
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
That's great in theory, but these kooks developed an entire religion based on hate, and have been practicing it since 600AD. How do you propse to reverse that?

By the way, before the arabs created Islam in 600 or so, they were at war with the Jews since Noah's time. The Arabs are the decendents of Ham, who committed a homosexual act upon his father.

glockmail
03-08-2007, 10:13 AM
History always repeats itself. This is exactly what was said about the Japanese Kamikazees. If you don't realize it, we kicked their butts.

The fact is ideas can be beaten. With weapons and with better ideas.

Good analogy. We changed their hearts and minds by being more ruthless than they could ever imagine. We MADE them see the error in their ways, and now they are among our most trusted allies.

Nienna
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
you are the strongest, most womanly, most 'completely and wonderfully 'woman'-woman I've met. :)

Wow! If any of you other guys want to give me compliments like that, I will SUBMIT to listening to them!

:D

Hobbit
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
That's great in theory, but these kooks developed an entire religion based on hate, and have been practicing it since 600AD. How do you propse to reverse that?

By the way, before the arabs created Islam in 600 or so, they were at war with the Jews since Noah's time. The Arabs are the decendents of Ham, who committed a homosexual act upon his father.

Incorrect. According to the histories that I read, most of the decendants of Ham were wiped out during numerous ancient wars and invasions (others claim the Africans are descendants of Ham, though this theory has little credibility). The Arabs are the decendants of Ishmael, Abraham's other son, who he had with Hagar, his handmaiden. Abraham did not have faith that God would deliver him a son through Sarai, who was in her 90s (ew!), so instead of following God in this matter, he followed the local custom, which was to have a child by your handmaiden if your wife was barren. After Isaac was born, the animosity grew between Sarah (formerly Sarai) and Hagar until Hagar fled with her son who became the father of the entire Arab race.

darin
03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
What's worse than a Male Chauvinist Pig?

- A woman that won't do what she's told.

glockmail
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Incorrect. According to the histories that I read, most of the decendants of Ham were wiped out during numerous ancient wars and invasions (others claim the Africans are descendants of Ham, though this theory has little credibility). The Arabs are the decendants of Ishmael, Abraham's other son, who he had with Hagar, his handmaiden. Abraham did not have faith that God would deliver him a son through Sarai, who was in her 90s (ew!), so instead of following God in this matter, he followed the local custom, which was to have a child by your handmaiden if your wife was barren. After Isaac was born, the animosity grew between Sarah (formerly Sarai) and Hagar until Hagar fled with her son who became the father of the entire Arab race.

Once again I may have been slightly off base: "The modern-day Palestinians, Jordanians, Iraqis and Iranians are descendants of these seven nations."
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=19684&postcount=1

LiberalNation
03-10-2007, 06:25 PM
U.S. Strategy Undermined Iraq's Women: Report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/oneworld/45361470191173556315;_ylt=AicbONNL7ntxI4Kq3JdNeX8D W7oF

SAN FRANCISCO, Mar 10 (OneWorld) - The United States' four-year-old occupation of Iraq has considerably worsened the lives of the country's women, charges a new report from an international human rights group.

The New York-based group MADRE says Iraqi women are enduring unprecedented levels of assault, abductions, public beatings, death threats, sexual assaults, honor killings, domestic abuse, torture in detention, beheadings, shootings, and public hangings.

MADRE's 40-page report, titled "Promising Democracy, Imposing Theocracy: Gender-Based Violence and the U.S. War on Iraq," also argues that the rise of theocratic militias in Iraq is the result of deliberate plans by U.S. officials, not an accidental byproduct of a bungled occupation.

"Rather than support progressive and democratically minded Iraqis, including members of the women's movement," the report reads, "the U.S. threw its weight behind Iraq's Shiite Islamists, calculating that these forces, long suppressed by Saddam Hussein, would cooperate with the occupation and deliver the stability needed for the U.S. to implement its policies in Iraq."

Chief among the groups brought to power by the U.S. invasion is the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), a theocratic organization whose militia, the Badr Brigades, was trained by the Iranian government.

Immediately after overthrowing Saddam Hussein, the Bush administration appointed SCIRI leader Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim to the country's Governing Council. The United States then recruited members of the Badr Brigade to join the Iraqi police and military, with terrible results.

"Mainstream media often report that the Badr and Mahdi militias have 'infiltrated' Iraq's Ministry of Interior, which controls the country's police, intelligence, and paramilitary units. More accurately, Iraq's Islamist government, boosted to power by the U.S., placed the ministry in the hands of its militia," reads the MADRE report.

"The Americans have empowered the Shi'ite groups who are now in the so-called Parliament," adds Houzan Mahmoud of the Organization of Women's Freedom in Iraq. "Now they feel free to oppress women, to veil them, [and] to bring about Islamic Sharia law."

Mahmoud, who was born in Iraqi Kurdistan but now lives in London, received a death threat last week, which she is taking seriously.

"It said, 'You will be killed by the middle of March, because you have been campaigning against Islam,'" Mahmoud told OneWorld, "and it says Ansar al-Islam, which is a notoriously Islamist jihadist group based in Kurdistan. They've been infamous, basically, for killing and beheading people in the villages in Kurdistan."

Mahmoud says the death threat stems from her support of feminist reforms in Kurdistan's regional Constitution, which Ansar al-Islam opposes.

She says she will continue to fight, however. She spoke to OneWorld while attending an anti-war vigil in London.

"I will attend many other events," she said. "That fatwa or any other events will not force me to give up on my struggle for the rights and freedoms of Iraqi women or any other women elsewhere who are living the oppression of the Islamist militias or governments."

Yifat Susskind, who works in MADRE's New York office, told OneWorld that the actions of women like Houzan Mahmoud give her hope that if the United States withdraws its troops from Iraq the situation could improve.

"Their daily lives are like the worst headlines that we read," she said, "and they're not giving in to despair. They're organizing. They're doing what they can with a very real perspective about what's possible."

Susskind said in past years Iraqi women had organized public demonstrations to commemorate International Women's Day on March 8th, but though the situation in Iraq was too dangerous for a street demonstration Thursday, they didn't give up.

"They did this amazing project, which was to bring together Sunni and Shiite youth," Susskind said.

She said young men and women from Sadr City and other places that are hot-beds of the civil war came together for a music and poetry festival.

"They held this massive party. They denounced this civil war. They reaffirmed their commitment to live as neighbors and as friends and basically refused to be enemies at a time when, if you're reading the New York Times, it's impossible to imagine that there's anybody left in Iraq who'd be doing that," she said.

"That's what gives me hope," she added.

CSM
03-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Well of course it does! And they were doing sooooo well up to this point n Arab countries too...what a shame.

Said1
03-10-2007, 07:02 PM
What's worse than a Male Chauvinist Pig?

- A woman that won't do what she's told.

Why are there shelters for battered women?

Because they won't listen.