PDA

View Full Version : "Black national anthem" causes stir at Hick speech

stephanie
07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
By Christopher N. Osher
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 07/01/2008 10:23:39 PM MDT

Denver dignitaries gathered today for Mayor John Hickenlooper's State of the City address, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem. But that's not what she did.

Instead, Marie performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which also is known as the "black national anthem."

When she finished, the proceedings moved forward, and the "Star-Spangled Banner" was never performed.

Councilman Charlie Brown took to local talk radio this afternoon to blast the lack of the nation's anthem at the proceedings.

read the rest and 77 comments, so far..
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9756253

Little-Acorn
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling that black activists spend half their time pointing out how different blacks are, and the other half demanding equality.

mundame
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Instead, Marie performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which also is known as the "black national anthem."

Horrible. That's so wrong.

namvet
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
funny its in Denver. home of the DNC convention next month. will they sing it there??? oh I hope so..............:laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling that black activists spend half their time pointing out how different blacks are, and the other half demanding equality.

I call it 1/3 of time whining like a little bitch, 1/3 of the time hating whitey, and 1/3 of time hating themselves

Sitarro
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
By Christopher N. Osher
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 07/01/2008 10:23:39 PM MDT

Denver dignitaries gathered today for Mayor John Hickenlooper's State of the City address, City Council President Michael Hancock introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem. But that's not what she did.

When she finished, the proceedings moved forward, and the "Star-Spangled Banner" was never performed.

Councilman Charlie Brown took to local talk radio this afternoon to blast the lack of the nation's anthem at the proceedings.

read the rest and 77 comments, so far..
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9756253

I listen to Mike Rosen from 850KOA in Denver whenever I can, great mind...... he discussed this and had a few more bits of information. Rene Marie has since come out saying she had planned this for quite awhile and she didn't tell the Mayor's office, for fear that they wouldn't let her do it. She also sang it to the Star Spangled Banner melody instead of the "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" melody.

The president of the City Counsel, Michael Hancock, was on the show. He said that as a black male he has a very strong love for both songs but found what she did to be very inappropriate.