PDA

View Full Version : Video shows woman dying on Brooklyn hospital floor

LiberalNation
07-02-2008, 02:41 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080702/ap_on_re_us/hospital_ward_death;_ylt=AjZaZ1FhqR.lom43cN5K52Nvz wcF

NEW YORK - City hospital officials agreed in court Tuesday to implement reforms at a psychiatric ward where surveillance footage showed a woman falling from her chair, writhing on the floor and dying as workers failed to help for more than an hour.

Esmin Green, 49, had been waiting in the emergency room for nearly 24 hours when she toppled from her seat at 5:32 a.m. on June 19, falling face down on the floor.

She was dead by 6:35, when someone on the medical staff, flagged down by a person in the waiting room, finally approached, nudged Green with her foot, and gently prodded her shoulder, as if to wake her. The staffer then left and returned with someone wearing a white lab coat who examined her and summoned help.

Until the staffer's appearance, Green's collapse barely caused a ripple. Other patients waiting a few feet away didn't react. Security guards and a member of the hospital's staff appeared to notice her prone body at least three times, but made no visible attempt to see if she needed help.

One guard didn't even leave his chair, rolling it around a corner to stare at the body, then rolling away a few moments later.

Green, who had been involuntarily committed the previous morning, and had waited overnight for a bed, stopped moving about half an hour after she collapsed.

The New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs the hospital, said six people have been fired as a result, including security personnel and members of the medical staff.

07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Reforming rules isnt going to to fix this. This isnt a rule issue. It's a matter of human heart.

midcan5
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Health-care / Human concern in the wealthiest nation on earth, that calls itself Christian, and spends over 700 billion on the military.

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/Spending.asp#USMilitarySpending

07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Health-care / Human concern in the wealthiest nation on earth, that calls itself Christian, and spends over 700 billion on the military.

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/Spending.asp#USMilitarySpending

What exactly is your point?

mundame
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Reforming rules isnt going to to fix this. This isnt a rule issue. It's a matter of human heart.

Well said.

I suppose they were overwhelmed by demands on them, but still.

Trigg
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Well what do you expect in a liberal city like NY.

I'm sure they thought it was someone elses responsibility to take care of her. Cradle to the grave and all that.

now before every lib on the board has a cow. This obviously has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with empathy for other people. Which, sadly seems to be lacking everywhere these days.

The above was to point out how (some) libs on the board want to place politics in every issue.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
What exactly is your point?

The point is that our priorities are out of whack in general.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Well what do you expect in a liberal city like NY.

I'm sure they thought it was someone elses responsibility to take care of her. Cradle to the grave and all that.
now before every lib on the board has a cow. This obviously has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with empathy for other people. Which, sadly seems to be lacking everywhere these days.

The above was to point out how (some) libs on the board want to place politics in every issue.

-Said the guy who brought politics into the issue. :rolleyes: What a joke.

Abbey Marie
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM

So it was a Christian hospital? I must have missed that in the story. :rolleyes:

Yurt
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM

yes, gay pride parades and massive demonstrations for gay "rights" are truly helping put the spotlight on the "important" issues

everybody has priorities...we are a decadent nation and as such we enjoy the luxury, if you will, of indulging in priorities that, in some manner, do not matter to survival.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
yes, gay pride parades and massive demonstrations for gay "rights" are truly helping put the spotlight on the "important" issues

everybody has priorities...we are a decadent nation and as such we enjoy the luxury, if you will, of indulging in priorities that, in some manner, do not matter to survival.

Okay genius. If gay pride parades take away from our priorities, then so do Christmas parades--and while we're at it, so do picnics and vacations and everything else fun and good that we do in our free time. :rolleyes: I swear sometimes you guys can be so dense it scares me that the state allows you have drivers licenses.

Yurt
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Okay genius. If gay pride parades take away from our priorities, then so do Christmas parades--and while we're at it, so do picnics and vacations and everything else fun and good that we do in our free time. :rolleyes: I swear sometimes you guys can be so dense it scares me that the state allows you have drivers licenses.

you're talking apples and oranges. there are traditions that keep a country's psyche positive, you know, traditions, you know what those are....right.

i'm sure to you, gay pride is a tradition....

so, you think we are not decadent? or did christmas bashing cloud your mind with frustration so that you forgot about that...

07-02-2008, 07:35 PM

I think our priorities are quite fine. Health care is not a government responsibility. National Security is.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I think our priorities are quite fine. Health care is not a government responsibility. National Security is.

Unless it comes to abortion right? Then it's got government written all over it doesn't it Republican?

07-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Unless it comes to abortion right? Then it's got government written all over it doesn't it Republican?

It's not Republicans who are forcing federal law to support abortion now is it? You guys made it an issue. You guys are the ones who brought it to the courts to give the federal government power to interfer in it. Stop complaining when we try to fix your incompetant blunders.

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
It's not Republicans who are forcing federal law to support abortion now is it? You guys made it an issue. You guys are the ones who brought it to the courts to give the federal government power to interfer in it. Stop complaining when we try to fix your incompetant blunders.

It is fixed. The way it is now is how it should be. Your side is the one causing the controversy because ya'll want to control the way women handle their pregnancies. Every one of you fantasizes about a world where a member of law enforcement stands guard with a trident at the opening of every pregnant woman's vagina for the duration of her pregnancy until she gives birth. The funny thing is that the fantasy ends there. After the little pricks are born they're on their own in Republican world! That is until they're 18 and old enough to go into the military meat grinder. Then you want them again!

stephanie
07-03-2008, 07:48 AM
It is fixed. The way it is now is how it should be. Your side is the one causing the controversy because ya'll want to control the way women handle their pregnancies. Every one of you fantasizes about a world where a member of law enforcement stands guard with a trident at the opening of every pregnant woman's vagina for the duration of her pregnancy until she gives birth. The funny thing is that the fantasy ends there. After the little pricks are born they're on their own in Republican world! That is until they're 18 and old enough to go into the military meat grinder. Then you want them again!

Democrat talking point from page 159.:rolleyes:

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Democrat talking point from page 159.:rolleyes:

Republican dodge number eleventy billion. :poke:

actsnoblemartin
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
were not rich, we have trillions of dollars of debts and millions of illegal aliens bleeding us dry

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
were not rich, we have trillions of dollars of debts and millions of illegal aliens bleeding us dry

Wow! A coherent point. Nice job! :thumb:

Trigg
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
-Said the guy who brought politics into the issue. :rolleyes: What a joke.

Well first of all, I'm not a guy, pay attention will ya:poke:

Second, the post was sarcastic. Unlike the idiot who brought politics into the 15 pregnant girls thread.