PDA

View Full Version : do tires have a shelf life????

namvet
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
never thought about it but yes they do. kinda like milk. acording to this vid tires sit on dealer shelves for years. then sold as new rolled out and put on you car. and maybe put an end to your life. I mean really when you buy a new set of tires does it cross your mind to check and see just how old they are????

expired tires (expired tires)

Yurt
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
i don't like Sears department store...but, i like their tire store. never had a problem and they do replace your tires (within the warranty) if unhappy. i've done it on very expensive SUV tires, exchanged after 4K miles, a little fight, but not much...60,000 mile michelin's and i have 65K on em and they look good, last time i had them rotated and balanced, the guy said i had about 20K left on em. good, because they are expensive.

also, their batteries are the best and so is their warranty. battery died in the 4R a couple of months ago, lost the reciept, could not remember if i purchased it 4 or 5 years ago...took it to Sears and said i need a new battery, forgot to mention the warranty because i was in a hurry...came back to pick up the truck...that will be $6 Mr. Yurt, its still under warranty...

namvet
07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
i don't like Sears department store...but, i like their tire store. never had a problem and they do replace your tires (within the warranty) if unhappy. i've done it on very expensive SUV tires, exchanged after 4K miles, a little fight, but not much...60,000 mile michelin's and i have 65K on em and they look good, last time i had them rotated and balanced, the guy said i had about 20K left on em. good, because they are expensive.

also, their batteries are the best and so is their warranty. battery died in the 4R a couple of months ago, lost the reciept, could not remember if i purchased it 4 or 5 years ago...took it to Sears and said i need a new battery, forgot to mention the warranty because i was in a hurry...came back to pick up the truck...that will be $6 Mr. Yurt, its still under warranty...

michelin's all I buy. never any problems. my new car came with bridgestones. (firestone) they suck. ill replace them with michelin. remember the story about firestone SUV tires blowing up at high speed???? a lot of injuries and deaths. I do hope that's solved.
----many years ago I had a new Camero Z28 with stock firestones. had a flat. took it to a dealer they put 4 new ones on. mine had been recalled........

Yurt
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
michelin's all I buy. never any problems. my new car came with bridgestones. (firestone) they suck. ill replace them with michelin. remember the story about firestone SUV tires blowing up at high speed???? a lot of injuries and deaths. I do hope that's solved.
----many years ago I had a new Camero Z28 with stock firestones. had a flat. took it to a dealer they put 4 new ones on. mine had been recalled........

same here, however, had to buy new tires for the camry -- those stock tires suck... and i went with goodyear, high rating 740 and 80K miles. the guy at sears told me, these tires are my #1 premiums for sedans, i said yeah, of course you say that, for the price...he said, no, but up to you. next tire down saved me only 120, so i went for it, and a BIG difference. car rides much smoother, quiet, nice.

namvet
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
same here, however, had to buy new tires for the camry -- those stock tires suck... and i went with goodyear, high rating 740 and 80K miles. the guy at sears told me, these tires are my #1 premiums for sedans, i said yeah, of course you say that, for the price...he said, no, but up to you. next tire down saved me only 120, so i went for it, and a BIG difference. car rides much smoother, quiet, nice.

mines a Camry to. most imports used to come stock with michelin. not any more.

Yurt
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
mines a Camry to. most imports used to come stock with michelin. not any more.

"imports" now they are made in the US and hate to say it, but the tires are cheaper and the car rattles more than the imports i drove as a teen. it is what is, but i know the difference as my dad worked at headquarters in LA and i had a new car every month in the late 80s, early 90s. there is a difference.

gabosaurus
07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
That is actually a great question. And something I never thought about.

Yurt
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM

we are led to believe that tires last "forever" given their slow decompose rate...but just because it looks like a tire, doesn't mean the tire will act or respond like a new tire as the materials that compromise a tire degrade over time. you know, much like liberal/progressive ideas....:laugh2:

Dilloduck
07-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Add it to the huge list of things you never consider while you obsess about sex.