PDA

View Full Version : Force-feeding near for fasting inmate

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Never understood starving yourself in protest. Still they shouldn't be force fed let them starve themselves if they wish and are in their right minds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070308/ap_on_re_us/attacks_professor;_ylt=AlkscBnFp1trjjbmUuCjPx9vzwc F

RALEIGH, N.C. - Prison workers soon might force feed a former university professor who has been on a hunger strike for six weeks to protest his imprisonment for refusing to testify about Palestinian charities, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Sami al-Arian, a Palestinian who taught computer science at the University of South Florida, stopped eating Jan. 22 in objection to a judge's decision to hold him indefinitely because he refused to testify before a grand jury.

He has lost more than 40 pounds on his water-only diet and is so weak that he needs a wheelchair, said his wife, Nahla al-Arian.

"His health is really deteriorating," she said. "We are really worried that there will be permanent damage."

Officials at the Federal Medical Center in Butner have told al-Arian they will begin force feeding if his condition worsens, said his lawyer, Peter Erlinder.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons has a hunger strike protocol that requires the medical staff to record the inmate's weight and vital signs once each day, according to the bureau's Web site.

If the staff determines that involuntary feeding is necessary, the protocol recommends feeding the person with tubes through the nose.

"It's an invasive procedure, and there's some danger of injury," Erlinder said. "We're hopeful that that there can be resolution before that."

Prosecutors labeled al-Arian a leader of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, which the U.S. calls a terrorist organization, but his six-month trial in 2005 ended in an acquittal on some counts and a hung jury on others.

In a plea bargain last April, al-Arian admitted conspiring to aid Palestinian Islamic Jihad and was sentenced to nearly five years in prison, minus credit for the time he had served.

Al-Arian and his lawyers contend the plea deal exempts him from testifying before a grand jury that is investigating a cluster of Islamic charities in northern Virginia.

U.S. District Judge James S. Moody Jr. in Tampa, Fla., disagreed, finding al-Arian in contempt and extending his prison sentence by 18 months. The judge will review al-Arian's status every six months and could extend al-Arian's sentence until he cooperates.

Federal prison officials declined to discuss al-Arian's health.

Hobbit
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
It's suicide. Suicide is illegal, not to mention an automatic disqualification of being in sound mind. It's actually the obligation of the prison to keep the guy alive by whatever means necessary. I'm sure if he died, there'd be an uproar on how the prison 'just let him die like that.'

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Why in the world is suicide illegal? How are they gona punish you for committing it. Unenforceable law except maybe if you try to starve yourself to death in prison.

Hobbit
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Why in the world is suicide illegal? How are they gona punish you for committing it. Unenforceable law except maybe if you try to starve yourself to death in prison.

Suicide is illegal because it is both an extremely upsetting act and the act of an unsound mind. Technically, you can't prosecute somebody for succeeding in a suicide, but it's illegal in order to accomidate statutes concerning attempts and accomplices. It's why anybody who is caught attempting suicide is put into protective custody and given psychological help until they are deemed stable.

Insein
03-07-2007, 11:11 PM
guy wants to kill himself, then so be it. Put a plate of food in his cell every day and if he doesnt eat it, thats his problem.

LiberalNation
03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
an automatic disqualification of being in sound mind'
Not really in this case. Is goal is to make a point/protest his confinment with death by starvation only being a possible side effect of it. It's a concious choice and I think it's possible for someone of sound mind to make it.

Mr. P
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Let him die. It's cheaper than feeding him.

stephanie
03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Let him die. It's cheaper than feeding him.

That's what I was thinking...
He wants to become a hero dying that way..........LET EM....:cheers2:

See ya..

Hobbit
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Whether we should let him or not, the issue is whether they are allowed to force-feed him. Damn straight they are. Even if he wasn't trying to kill himself, an action that is, by its very definition, contrary to the actions of a sound mind (self-preservation being the most prime instinct), he's still a prisoner, and, as such, is denied certain rights. I imagine that even if you did have the right to kill yourself, you wouldn't have such a right in prison.

stephanie
03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Whether we should let him or not, the issue is whether they are allowed to force-feed him. Damn straight they are. Even if he wasn't trying to kill himself, an action that is, by its very definition, contrary to the actions of a sound mind (self-preservation being the most prime instinct), he's still a prisoner, and, as such, is denied certain rights. I imagine that even if you did have the right to kill yourself, you wouldn't have such a right in prison.

Dang.......You have to be logical about this....

No...Your logic is right....

I'm more of the in the moment type...

If the bastard wants to do it...........Ok by me....:laugh2: