PDA

View Full Version : Why The GOP Is Doomed

5stringJeff
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
This nails the issue of why the GOP is headed for a major defeat this fall.

-------------
Republicans are and should be panicked over the fact that conservative Democrat Travis Childers just defeated Republican Greg Davis by a margin of 54%-46% in the race for a vacant Mississippi congressional seat. That seat is in a conservative district that had given President Bush a 25-point margin of victory over John Kerry in 2004 - it never should have flipped Democrat. This is the third double-digit loss in a row for Republican candidates in conservative districts across the United States.

Childers' victory came one week after Rep. Don Cazayoux won a House seat in the Baton Rouge, La., area that had been in Republican hands for three decades. Over the winter, Rep. Bill Foster won an election in Illinois to succeed former House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who had been in Congress more than 20 years.

What we're watching is the culmination of the decade-plus deterioration of the conservative Republican brand. Put simply, no one, including base conservatives, trusts the Republicans to govern effectively while following anything even faintly resembling a conservative platform.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/05/if_the_gop_wants_to_govern_lik_1.html

Sitarro
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
This nails the issue of why the GOP is headed for a major defeat this fall.

-------------
Republicans are and should be panicked over the fact that conservative Democrat Travis Childers just defeated Republican Greg Davis by a margin of 54%-46% in the race for a vacant Mississippi congressional seat. That seat is in a conservative district that had given President Bush a 25-point margin of victory over John Kerry in 2004 - it never should have flipped Democrat. This is the third double-digit loss in a row for Republican candidates in conservative districts across the United States.

Childers' victory came one week after Rep. Don Cazayoux won a House seat in the Baton Rouge, La., area that had been in Republican hands for three decades. Over the winter, Rep. Bill Foster won an election in Illinois to succeed former House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who had been in Congress more than 20 years.

What we're watching is the culmination of the decade-plus deterioration of the conservative Republican brand. Put simply, no one, including base conservatives, trusts the Republicans to govern effectively while following anything even faintly resembling a conservative platform.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/05/if_the_gop_wants_to_govern_lik_1.html

What have you done to fix it? And what makes you think that your candidate and party wouldn't turn into exactly the same thing once, if hell freezes over, Barr would get in? Barr obviously has an ego problem, he could have waited until 2012 to pull his bullshit but instead has decided to run now, when 2 Supreme Court Justice positions will open and the Democrats already have a majority in both houses of Congress....... his pretend candidacy will insure Obama's election and majorities in all three branches of the government ........ all to try to get less than a third of Rush Limbaugh's audience to vote for him. If Rush would run, he could easily get 20 million votes and you guys think it will change the world if Barr gets 3....... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

5stringJeff
07-02-2008, 05:07 PM
What have you done to fix it?

Not my party, not my problem.

Sitarro
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM

So you were never a Republican supporter?

5stringJeff
07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
So you were never a Republican supporter?

I was... but the GOP has ideologically left me (http://blog.debatepolicy.com/2008/03/14/going-libertarian/). They no longer support small government, so I no longer support them.

CooterBrown44
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I live in the First Congressional District in Mississippi, and I can tell you why the GOP lost the seat. The candidate ran a campaign just like another right wing thug. He tried to cast the Democrat as a liberal and tie him to Obama and Hillary. That insulted the intelligence of a lot of the voters. He gave us the same ole same ole right wing wedge issues that we've all grown tired of. He never told us why we should vote for him. He also didn't understand that the District is a rural district, while he comes from a fast growing municipality on the outskirts of Memphis.

Being a Democrat in Mississippi doesn't mean that you're a liberal, far from it, and people have grown tired of the right wing liberal bogey man.

I predicted Childers' win several weeks before the election. He's no wonderful person himself, being tied to the Langston law firm in Booneville who was mixed up with Dickie Scruggs, as well as having a crooked reputation. Still, I voted for him because I am mad at the GOP. The neocons in charge have betrayed real conservative principles in favor of money and power.

The GOP may lose Trent Lott's Senate seat also, although I'm not calling that one at this time. There may be an October surprise that could hurt the Democrat.

Sitarro
07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I was... but the GOP has ideologically left me (http://blog.debatepolicy.com/2008/03/14/going-libertarian/). They no longer support small government, so I no longer support them.

So if the Texans continue to suck, as they always will, will you get a grass roots effort going to bring a new team to Houston?

Can you tell how much I hate the incredible amount of Houston's resources and tax dollars go to support lousy role models playing silly meaningless games on our dime?

5stringJeff
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
So if the Texans continue to suck, as they always will, will you get a grass roots effort going to bring a new team to Houston?

Can you tell how much I hate the incredible amount of Houston's resources and tax dollars go to support lousy role models playing silly meaningless games on our dime?

Bad use of an analogy. I like the Texans because I'm from Houston. But, if for whatever reason, the Texans decided that, instead of attempting to win football games, it was just going to do whatever it took to maintain offensive possession of the ball the entire 60 minutes of the game, I would probably be really upset and start rooting for someone else. And that's what the GOP has done. They've quit being the champion of small government and adopted a 'hold power at all costs' party. As Lord Acton said, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely." The current GOP's principles are corrupt.

07-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Actually, it is your problem if Obama is elected. It's everyones problem.

Say goodbye to the right to bear arms.
Say hello to government run everything.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Actually, it is your problem if Obama is elected. It's everyones problem.

Say goodbye to the right to bear arms.
Say hello to government run everything.

Bullsh*t.

manu1959
07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Bullsh*t.

ok then.....what do you think obama will do....

07-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Bullsh*t.

Okay. Can you name a single policy of Senator Obama's that does not involve empowering government?

Can you name a single justice he would appoint to protect the Second Amendment?

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 07:41 AM

Jeff: Although I wear the hat of a liberal bogeyman around here, I was actually a Republican up until 2000, when George Bush and his neocons completely abandoned the fiscal responsibility that's been one of the pillars of the GOP for years.

And then there's foreign policy. But don't get me started on Iraq.

But to make a long story short, I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had behaved like a real conservative. (And if he hadn't had a crew of assholes guiding his foreign policy.)

I may come back to the GOP in the future. But not while clowns like Bush and Cheney are running the party.

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Okay. Can you name a single policy of Senator Obama's that does not involve empowering government?

Can you name a single justice he would appoint to protect the Second Amendment?

Well, for one, his plan for faith-based programs (as discussed in another thread on this site) empower the people actually working in those programs--unlike the Bush model.

And two, nobody knows who he'd pick for justices--dumb question when we don't even know his cabinet yet.

Sitarro
07-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Jeff: Although I wear the hat of a liberal bogeyman around here, I was actually a Republican up until 2000, when George Bush and his neocons completely abandoned the fiscal responsibility that's been one of the pillars of the GOP for years.

But to make a long story short, I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had behaved like a real conservative. (And if he hadn't had a crew of assholes guiding his foreign policy.)

I may come back to the GOP in the future. But not while clowns like Bush and Cheney are running the party.

Gee, this post seems so very sincere. You have gone from being a Republican to a bleeding heart liberal all because of Bush........ because he spends too much? ARE WE REALLY SUPPOSE TO BELIEVE THAT BULLSHIT? Democrats throw away our money as fast as they get their hands on it but unlike the Republicans that are forced to spend to rebuild the military after Democrat administrations decimate it(Carter, Clinton)Democrats spend it on stupid social programs to buy votes from the "stick it to the rich" crowd.

And now you support the most liberal asswipe in the asswipe Senate that includes such stellar economist as Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, John F. Kerry(who served in Vietnam for 4 months) and Hillary Clinton(former detractor of Hussein Obama). Your transformation was 180% from the Republicans, I guess your boyfriend has a lot of influence on how you vote ....... Your type of hatred of President Bush is the type of hysterical whinyness of the homosexual brigade. Admit it, you know nothing about politics and get your opinions from "The View" and Oprah.

glockmail
07-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Do me a favor and stay with your fag friends in the Democrat Party. :pee:

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Gee, this post seems so very sincere. You have gone from being a Republican to a bleeding heart liberal all because of Bush........ because he spends too much? ARE WE REALLY SUPPOSE TO BELIEVE THAT BULLSHIT? Democrats throw away our money as fast as they get their hands on it but unlike the Republicans that are forced to spend to rebuild the military after Democrat administrations decimate it(Carter, Clinton)Democrats spend it on stupid social programs to buy votes from the "stick it to the rich" crowd.

And now you support the most liberal asswipe in the asswipe Senate that includes such stellar economist as Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, John F. Kerry(who served in Vietnam for 4 months) and Hillary Clinton(former detractor of Hussein Obama). Your transformation was 180% from the Republicans, I guess your boyfriend has a lot of influence on how you vote ....... Your type of hatred of President Bush is the type of hysterical whinyness of the homosexual brigade. Admit it, you know nothing about politics and get your opinions from "The View" and Oprah.

Dear Dumbass.....

The reason I became a Republican around 1980 was because of the Democrats' 40-year record of out-of-control spending. I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had been the kind of president Reagan was.

By the way, if you've read my posts you would know I'm not gay. But if it serves the purposes of your limited cranial capacity to think of me as a gay leftist, by all means, go for it.

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Do me a favor and stay with your fag friends in the Democrat Party. :pee:

I dunno, glockie.

Maybe I'll see you at the GOP Convention in 2016. I'll be the one wearing a rainbow lapel pin.

Maybe I can buy you a pina colada.......

glockmail
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I dunno, glockie.

Maybe I'll see you at the GOP Convention in 2016. I'll be the one wearing a rainbow lapel pin.

Maybe I can buy you a pina colada.......
No doubt you'd be easy to spot in a crowd. :lol:

5stringJeff
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM

So you left the GOP because of out-of-control spending, and went to the Dems, who advocate out-of-control spending? :confused: That doesn't make much sense to me.

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
So you left the GOP because of out-of-control spending, and went to the Dems, who advocate out-of-control spending? :confused: That doesn't make much sense to me.

Jeff: It wasn't just Bush's out-of-control spending that drove me over to the Dem column.

It was his out-of-control foreign policy that was an equal factor.

You are right that the Dems have traditionally been the party of big government and big federal spending. But I'm hoping that President Obama will reverse that trend.

But there's nothing to say that I won't move back into the GOP column if the Dems prove to be a disappointment.

5stringJeff
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Jeff: It wasn't just Bush's out-of-control spending that drove me over to the Dem column.

You are right that the Dems have traditionally been the party of big government and big federal spending. But I'm hoping that President Obama will reverse that trend.

But there's nothing to say that I won't move back into the GOP column if the Dems prove to be a disappointment.

I hate to break the news to you, but the Democrats are even more big-government than the GOP. Reference: Obama's plan to provide government-financed health care to every child in America, Obama's belief that local governments can take away your right to bear arms, and Obama's plan to apply the SS Tax to household earnings of over $250K. If you truly believe in minimzing government spending and a less interventionist foreign policy, I'd recommend you look into the Libertarian Party.

07-03-2008, 11:25 AM

You keep changing the goal posts. You stated that it was just the spending in your previous post. see here:

The reason I became a Republican around 1980 was because of the Democrats' 40-year record of out-of-control spending. I'd still be a Republican today if Bush had been the kind of president Reagan was.

This makes me conclude either one of two things:

1)You aren't really good at explaining yourself. (who is really?) or
2)You aren't being completely honest about why you are a Democrat now or whether you were ever a Republican.

Honestly, I don't care which one. But I have no doubt you do. So you should probably get your story straight.

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I hate to break the news to you, but the Democrats are even more big-government than the GOP. Reference: Obama's plan to provide government-financed health care to every child in America, Obama's belief that local governments can take away your right to bear arms, and Obama's plan to apply the SS Tax to household earnings of over $250K. If you truly believe in minimzing government spending and a less interventionist foreign policy, I'd recommend you look into the Libertarian Party.

I subscribe to a lot of the things in the Libertarian Party platform, and I also like Bob Barr.

If the Republicans had nominated Ron Paul, I would have seriously considered voting for him.

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
You keep changing the goal posts. You stated that it was just the spending in your previous post. see here:

This makes me conclude either one of two things:

1)You aren't really good at explaining yourself. (who is really?) or
2)You aren't being completely honest about why you are a Democrat now or whether you were ever a Republican.

Honestly, I don't care which one. But I have no doubt you do. So you should probably get your story straight.

avatar: I thought I was pretty clear, but I'll reiterate.....

I started off my voting life as a 21 year old Democrat. I voted Democrat in every election (voted against Nixon twice) until it became clear, during Jimmy Carter's administration, that something was very wrong with the Democratic approach to governing. I became a Reagan Republican in '79 and I still believe to this day that Reagan was one of our 5 greatest presidents.

I was still in the Republican column in 2000, although I held liberal positions on abortion and gay rights. It was Bush's out-of-control spending that soured me on the GOP. But more than the spending, it was the combination of stupidity and arrogance embodied in the decision to invade Iraq and try to remake the Middle East that pushed me over the edge and into the Dem column.

It's my firm belief that George Bush is the worst president we've ever had. It became clear early on that this was a guy who was completely out of his depth in the Oval Office and that he had no idea what he was doing.

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Because it's made-up of ignorant yokels?!?!? :eek:

Not that hard folks.

Yurt
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, for one, his plan for faith-based programs (as discussed in another thread on this site) empower the people actually working in those programs--unlike the Bush model.

And two, nobody knows who he'd pick for justices--dumb question when we don't even know his cabinet yet.

thats not true, his plan calls for government regulation of churches, so he is in fact expanding the government's control over who people hire or fire in a church.

Psychoblues
07-04-2008, 09:42 PM
What do you have against bleeding hearts, zero? Maybe you just haven't had the shit slapped out of you for no good reason? I can arrange that, if you'd like.

Sitarro
07-04-2008, 09:54 PM
What do you have against bleeding hearts, zero? Maybe you just haven't had the shit slapped out of you for no good reason? I can arrange that, if you'd like.

Isn't there an ugly car somewhere, going around in circles on a muddy track surrounded by toothless mongoloids for you to watch???..... it is Friday night ya know.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

retiredman
07-04-2008, 10:00 PM
thats not true, his plan calls for government regulation of churches, so he is in fact expanding the government's control over who people hire or fire in a church.
:link:

Psychoblues
07-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Obviously you don't appreciate or enjoy dirt track stock car racing, zero. You've already stated and demonstrated that many, many times. We get it, zero?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

How about the proposition that I made that you haven't had the shit slapped out of you? Are you averse to the concept or do you simply choose to bring up your old tired and false statements about my appreciation of sports?

Sitarro
07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Obviously you don't appreciate or enjoy dirt track stock car racing, zero. You've already stated and demonstrated that many, many times. We get it, zero?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

How about the proposition that I made that you haven't had the shit slapped out of you? Are you averse to the concept or do you simply choose to bring up your old tired and false statements about my appreciation of sports?

sport??? drunk rednecks driving piles of loud shit, with parts falling off, around watered down, manure tracks? SPORT?

You want to slap me, how progressive of you, have another Busch before you get dehydrated.:laugh2:

Yurt
07-04-2008, 10:10 PM
:link:

if they take federal money, then under obama's plan, he wants the church's to lose control over who they fire and hire...

Psychoblues
07-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Not true at all, yuk.

if they take federal money, then under obama's plan, he wants the church's to lose control over who they fire and hire...

They should simply abide the anti-discrimination laws as all other employers now abide. Do you have a problem with that?

retiredman
07-04-2008, 10:34 PM

again...I asked for a link...not your cockamamie interpretation.

that is generally what is understood by the :link: smilie.

moron

Psychoblues
07-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Moron?

again...I asked for a link...not your cockamamie interpretation.

that is generally what is understood by the :link: smilie.

moron

Exactly.