PDA

View Full Version : Article: Does Having Kids Make You Happy

actsnoblemartin
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/143792?GT1=43002

When I was growing up, our former neighbors, whom we'll call the Sloans, were the only couple on the block without kids. It wasn't that they couldn't have children; according to Mr. Sloan, they just chose not to. All the other parents, including mine, thought it was odd—even tragic. So any bad luck that befell the Sloans—the egging of their house one Halloween; the landslide that sent their pool careering to the street below—was somehow attributed to that fateful decision they'd made so many years before. "Well," the other adults would say, "you know they never did have kids." Each time I visited the Sloans, I'd search for signs of insanity, misery or even regret in their superclean home, yet I never seemed to find any. From what I could tell, the Sloans were happy, maybe even happier than my parents, despite the fact that they were (whisper) childless.

GW in Ohio
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/143792?GT1=43002

When I was growing up, our former neighbors, whom we'll call the Sloans, were the only couple on the block without kids. It wasn't that they couldn't have children; according to Mr. Sloan, they just chose not to. All the other parents, including mine, thought it was odd—even tragic. So any bad luck that befell the Sloans—the egging of their house one Halloween; the landslide that sent their pool careering to the street below—was somehow attributed to that fateful decision they'd made so many years before. "Well," the other adults would say, "you know they never did have kids." Each time I visited the Sloans, I'd search for signs of insanity, misery or even regret in their superclean home, yet I never seemed to find any. From what I could tell, the Sloans were happy, maybe even happier than my parents, despite the fact that they were (whisper) childless.

Interesting topic, Martin.

I would say that having kids doesn't make you happy per se. But what it does do is fulfill a deep need that many of us have. And that can lead to happiness.

But as every parent knows, it can also lead to a lot of misery, or at least, a lot of chaos.

One of these days, when my kids are grown and gone, my house will be nice and clean.

Until then.....chaos.

manu1959
07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
my kids have made my life a happier one.....

midcan5
07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Sorry, busy now, will comment later.

5stringJeff
07-03-2008, 04:35 PM
It's made my life happier. Just this afternoon, I was looking at some older pictures of my 2 1/2 year old son, when he was still an infant. I smiled at every single one of them. Spending time with each of my three kids is rewarding and makes my life better.

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Not if you're a spider.

gabosaurus
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
I can only speak for myself -- having a daughter has greatly enriched my life.

Abbey Marie
07-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Depends what age they are, lol. Little ones can be a blast. Teens, not so much. :laugh2:

07-03-2008, 07:52 PM
If you raise them right, they will be a great joy in your life.

Moving this out of the politics forum.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
My kids make me extremely happy. And mad, proud, crazy, joyful, etc...... They bring on all emotions.

You do not need children to be happy. And you should never have children to try to be happy. My personal experience is that my kids do make me happy. But there are times when they drive me nuts. I'm sure the situation is similar for each one of us parents. I know my sister drove my parents nuts when we were young (not me of course:dance:).

AF:salute:

Kathianne
07-03-2008, 11:21 PM
As someone who has enjoyed the joyful years of infancy through late childhood, (notice forgetting all about the nights with ear infections, diapers, colic, nightmares, friends that betrayed, stepping on barbie shoes in the dark, stepping on legos in the dark, making dioramas, etc), having also managed to survive their teen years, (stalker boyfriends and restraining orders; 12 eighteen year old boys drunk after an all state meet with 6 bowls of pasta, in my basement; their graduations and honors; taking them to university for the first time), I must say I wouldn't be childless for all the money in the world, not even for a clean house.

If they hadn't been in my life I probably would have made different choices. I certainly would not be at this stage of life, concerned about my future financial position. They've been expensive, no doubt on that. On the other hand, I remember all the great moments, that would be impossible to have had without them. Children let us relive the newness of the world, sometimes to the absurd level. Through their eyes, we get a chance 'to get it right.' That's what the latest generation gives to those fortunate enough to be close to them.

I guess that's why so many of us parents hope to become grandparents.