PDA

View Full Version : Your gas money for a flat screen?

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- 1.733.

This number should put our skyrocketing gas prices into perspective. To explain: In January 2007, gas prices were at a measly $2.17 a gallon. Since then they've skyrocketed to more than $4.

Considering the average amount of gas used per household, the rise has cost us approximately $1,690. With the average 42-inch plasma screen going for $975, just the extra cash you've forked over for gas in the last year and a half could have bought you 1.733 plasma TVs. And that number just keeps rising.

Of course, there are a lot more serious issues than the "flat screen factor." Gas prices have changed families who were once able to save a little into families breaking even. Families who used to break even now run up credit cards. Families who ran up credit cards now dodge calls from creditors. And families who dodged calls from creditors are now families in full-fledged financial crisis. (Like Ed McMahon, I've heard.)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/02/beck.oilexploration/index.html

There are answers to this problem, we just need to get off our lazy asses and do them. Will they take time, yes. But to not do something, like we did in 1995 and 2002ish, we will never recover from.

AF:salute:

Missileman
07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- 1.733.

This number should put our skyrocketing gas prices into perspective. To explain: In January 2007, gas prices were at a measly $2.17 a gallon. Since then they've skyrocketed to more than $4.

Considering the average amount of gas used per household, the rise has cost us approximately $1,690. With the average 42-inch plasma screen going for $975, just the extra cash you've forked over for gas in the last year and a half could have bought you 1.733 plasma TVs. And that number just keeps rising.

Of course, there are a lot more serious issues than the "flat screen factor." Gas prices have changed families who were once able to save a little into families breaking even. Families who used to break even now run up credit cards. Families who ran up credit cards now dodge calls from creditors. And families who dodged calls from creditors are now families in full-fledged financial crisis. (Like Ed McMahon, I've heard.)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/02/beck.oilexploration/index.html

There are answers to this problem, we just need to get off our lazy asses and do them. Will they take time, yes. But to not do something, like we did in 1995 and 2002ish, we will never recover from.

Ed McMahon is in a crisis of his own making. My heart doesn't bleed a drop for someone who can no longer afford the mortgage payments on a multi-million dollar mansion...fuck him!

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Ed McMahon is in a crisis of his own making. My heart doesn't bleed a drop for someone who can no longer afford the mortgage payments on a multi-million dollar mansion...fuck him!

Agreed, but that really isn't the point of the article is it? What about the rest of it?

Missileman
07-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Agreed, but that really isn't the point of the article is it? What about the rest of it?

There is no doubt that rising gas prices is having a negative effect on the economy. Some people are going to have to re-prioritize their finances to make it through the next few years. I think the majority of Americans will get used to the higher price of gas and it will become the norm and a non-issue soon enough. Two generations from now, they'll talk in awe about the $2 a gallon gas in the early 2000's the way we talk about the 30 cent a gallon gas of the 60s.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
There is no doubt that rising gas prices is having a negative effect on the economy. Some people are going to have to re-prioritize their finances to make it through the next few years. I think the majority of Americans will get used to the higher price of gas and it will become the norm and a non-issue soon enough. Two generations from now, they'll talk in awe about the $2 a gallon gas in the early 2000's the way we talk about the 30 cent a gallon gas of the 60s.

True. Hopefully two generations from now we will be using one of the technologies designed (or being designed) now to overcome this. My thoughts are that no matter what we do, as far as fuel cell, hybrid, electric cars, they will raise the oil prices anyway. We will still need oil for other things, like heating and lubricants, so they will make their money. That is why we need to address all of the points in the article at the same time.

Missileman
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
True. Hopefully two generations from now we will be using one of the technologies designed (or being designed) now to overcome this. My thoughts are that no matter what we do, as far as fuel cell, hybrid, electric cars, they will raise the oil prices anyway. We will still need oil for other things, like heating and lubricants, so they will make their money. That is why we need to address all of the points in the article at the same time.

Demand is going to dictate price. If the alternative energies become practical, the gas companies will lower prices to keep people on gas.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Demand is going to dictate price. If the alternative energies become practical, the gas companies will lower prices to keep people on gas.

Or they will raise them to keep profits up. Think about the cost to change over houses from natural gas and heating oil to another form of heating. It is unfeasible for most to even consider. I would love to go geothermal in my house, but I live in a subdivision and do not have the land to do so. And what other options are there for heating? Electric? The power companies would love that! What else is there?

Missileman
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Or they will raise them to keep profits up.

Maybe short term, but they will have to lower eventually, or they won't be selling any, everyone will switch.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Maybe short term, but they will have to lower eventually, or they won't be selling any, everyone will switch.

Maybe when I retire from the AF in a few months I will look into getting into an alternative heating/cooling business! Geothermal or something of the like. Might make a fortune in the near future!

Missileman
07-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Maybe when I retire from the AF in a few months I will look into getting into an alternative heating/cooling business! Geothermal or something of the like. Might make a fortune in the near future!

You're talking about heat exchangers right?

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 11:01 PM
You're talking about heat exchangers right?

Yes, the geothermal heat exchanger. I have look into this a little. We had to replace out heater last fall. Seems to be the next big thing.

manu1959
07-03-2008, 11:12 PM

designing zero carbon homes at the moment that are off the grid so to speak....solar and geo thermal

Missileman
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, the geothermal heat exchanger. I have look into this a little. We had to replace out heater last fall. Seems to be the next big thing.

Saw a couple PBS shows about home construction where they employed a heat exchanger...must have been 7 or 8 years ago. Equipment was expensive initially, but paid for itself in due time...didn't look all that complicated to install.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
designing zero carbon homes at the moment that are off the grid so to speak....solar and geo thermal

Unfortunately, solar is not cost effective yet, especially in locations outside of the southwest/southern CA. Where you get the sun a majority of the time. What I have seen on the geothermal is that yes, it is expensive, but it is cost effective after a few years. I would love to get off the grid, but in NE Indiana, we just get too much snow.

AFbombloader
07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Saw a couple PBS shows about home construction where they employed a heat exchanger...must have been 7 or 8 years ago. Equipment was expensive initially, but paid for itself in due time...didn't look all that complicated to install.

The main drawback I saw, was the need to dig. They need to go a distance away from the home. I have a little over 1/3 of an acre, not enough space. Now if the home was being built now, it would be a different story. It could be done then.

Missileman
07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
The main drawback I saw, was the need to dig. They need to go a distance away from the home. I have a little over 1/3 of an acre, not enough space. Now if the home was being built now, it would be a different story. It could be done then.

Look into a vertical closed loop field...think that might suit your needs.

namvet
07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
funny you should mention flat screens

Flat-Screen TV Gas 'a Climate Time Bomb'

Booming demand for flat-screen televisions could have a greater impact on global warming than the world's largest coal-fired power stations, scientists warn.

story (story)

REDWHITEBLUE2
07-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Ever since the lowlife Liberals took control of congress the price of fuel has sky rocketed Hopefully the voters figure this out and shit can these fools