PDA

View Full Version : Iraq is not the lesson

actsnoblemartin
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Future wars are: what do i mean by that.

Obsessing about our mistakes is no different then obsessing about spilled milk.

what we can and unfortunently wont do, is learn and prevent the mistakes of iraq in future wars. Young people in my generation will be screaming about how were fucking up in some future conflict 20-40 years from now, because we didnt learn from now.

What are your thoughts :cheers2:

DragonStryk72
07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Future wars are: what do i mean by that.

Obsessing about our mistakes is no different then obsessing about spilled milk.

what we can and unfortunently wont do, is learn and prevent the mistakes of iraq in future wars. Young people in my generation will be screaming about how were fucking up in some future conflict 20-40 years from now, because we didnt learn from now.

What are your thoughts :cheers2:

"He who fails to learn from his history, is doomed to repeat it. He who fails to learn it correctly, is just doomed."

This isn't spilled milk, though, Martin, this is spilled bodies, alot of them.

Okay, here's how I see it: In both Vietnam, and in Korea before it, we were wrong, we shouldn't have been there, period. Those early wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that produced Sadam and the Taliban as world powers, we were so damned wrong. The First Gulf War, we were in the right, because Sadam was specifically using the oil to get us into a corner. We were right to invade Afghanistan after 9/11, they were the obvious agressors there. the War in Iraq, currently, we're wrong.

If you look at the history of it, every time that we have entered into a war for good reasons, we've won, but every time we get into these others conflicts, we either lose, or they come back later to haunt us, such as Sadam and Bin Laden.

Notice no one debates the Revolutionary War, or, aside from the people with their head completely up their ass, WWII. Now, they may examine the tactics or some other facet, but they never say we were wrong for entering them.

actsnoblemartin
07-04-2008, 07:58 PM
:)

"He who fails to learn from his history, is doomed to repeat it. He who fails to learn it correctly, is just doomed."

Im not trying to trivialize the serious nature of the war, nor the dead or wounded, im saying is we cant change the past, we either make a strategy to win, or get out, but obsessing about the mistakes doesnt change them

Okay, here's how I see it: In both Vietnam, and in Korea before it, we were wrong, we shouldn't have been there, period.

Why were we there?, i cant figure that out?

Those early wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that produced Sadam and the Taliban as world powers, we were so damned wrong. The First Gulf War, we were in the right, because Sadam was specifically using the oil to get us into a corner. We were right to invade Afghanistan after 9/11, they were the obvious agressors there. the War in Iraq, currently, we're wrong.

If we had just said look saddam is killing his own people, would we have been right, just wondering :laugh2:

If you look at the history of it, every time that we have entered into a war for good reasons, we've won, but every time we get into these others conflicts, we either lose, or they come back later to haunt us, such as Sadam and Bin Laden.

Notice no one debates the Revolutionary War, or, aside from the people with their head completely up their ass, WWII. Now, they may examine the tactics or some other facet, but they never say we were wrong for entering them.

gabosaurus
07-05-2008, 06:20 PM
We shouldn't have to worry about Iraq? Hasn't the "mission" already been "accomplished"?

http://i27.tinypic.com/x1ghgm.jpg

DragonStryk72
07-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post

Im not trying to trivialize the serious nature of the war, nor the dead or wounded, im saying is we cant change the past, we either make a strategy to win, or get out, but obsessing about the mistakes doesnt change them

Problem being that, in order to move forward, those responsible for the mistakes need to take responsibility for them, instead of this constant attempt to try and avoid in anyway admitting them.

Okay, here's how I see it: In both Vietnam, and in Korea before it, we were wrong, we shouldn't have been there, period.

Why were we there?, i cant figure that out?

Basically, it falls into the heading that the early wars in Iraq and Afghanistan of "We need to beat the russians".

Those early wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that produced Sadam and the Taliban as world powers, we were so damned wrong. The First Gulf War, we were in the right, because Sadam was specifically using the oil to get us into a corner. We were right to invade Afghanistan after 9/11, they were the obvious agressors there. the War in Iraq, currently, we're wrong.

If we had just said look saddam is killing his own people, would we have been right, just wondering

Honestly, speaking as former military, if they had said, "We are taking Sadam down because he is a petty dictator who has gassed his own people, established rape rooms, and continually played his little punk games with the world government. He is a mistake we made 20 years ago, and it falls to us now to correct that mistake" I would have been at the front of the line to go. Hells yes, I would be willing to get behind that fight.

Think about it, if you had been told we were going to take down Hitler in the early 1940s, would you have been willing to get behind that? Of course, 99% of us would, Hitler was quite blatantly evil, and was curb stomping country after country in his grab for power. We fought that battle for the right reasons, and those reasons make all of the difference, just the same as they did 232 years ago, when we started off this whole thing. Really look at all the truly great battles in history, and you will see that displayed quite well. The ultimate example in my mind is the 300 spartans against the whole of the Persian army. For the right reasons, people will fight in a way that will push them further than the best weapons and numbers can measure. This is one of our founding ideals, and we forget it at our own peril.

yoxi5236
07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
WoW now I'm banned.