PDA

View Full Version : Secret Report: Biofuel Caused Food Crisis

Psychoblues
07-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I know Americans don't care much about this. Our food is extraordinarilly cheap. But, it ain't going to be so in the very near future. Good article. I suppose the conservative MSM is just too busy to address the subject.

Source: The Guardian

Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian.

The damning unpublished assessment is based on the most detailed analysis of the crisis so far, carried out by an internationally-respected economist at global financial body.

The figure emphatically contradicts the US government's claims that plant-derived fuels contribute less than 3% to food-price rises. It will add to pressure on governments in Washington and across Europe, which have turned to plant-derived fuels to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and reduce their dependence on imported oil.

Senior development sources believe the report, completed in April, has not been published to avoid embarrassing President gwb.

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy

Aside from the gas tank, what the hell is a few more bucks in the grocery line?

I'm certain the conservatives have an adequate answer to all this!!!!!!!!

PostmodernProphet
07-05-2008, 05:48 AM
I do....the percentage of raw grain involved in the food costs is miniscule.....the cost of the oil used to transport the finished product contributes more to the overall cost than a bushel of wheat does......when corn wasn't being used for ethanol production it was a surplus item, the government had to pay farmers to grow it through subsidies just to keep the farmers from starving.....most human consumption of corn came through corn sweeteners and the largest percentage of corn sweeteners were used in beverages.....a can of Coke used less than two cents worth of corn sweeteners.....thus, if corn quadrupled in price you could have expected a seven cents increase in a can of Coke.....the same is true of corn flakes, corn meal, etc......

ethanol production has had zero impact on animal feeding, since the brewer's mash that is a byproduct of the ethanol process makes an excellent cattle feed.....

so any increase you have seen in the grocery store is the result either of the cost of oil to transport food or processors using the situation as an excuse to raise prices and shift blame.....

emmett
07-06-2008, 12:09 AM
No, It's george's fault man. The left complained about fuels being too pollutive, now we arfe attempting to addressw the issue and this kind of shit.

Rhetorical. david is good at this sort of thing. I personally think the Democrats have passed b y some real talent. He should be in Washington.

Psychoblues
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
We'll see who is most affected at the gas pumps and at the grocery store and the damned MSM still don't get it, my friends. Sheesh, some of you just don't read well?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!

theHawk
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I know Americans don't care much about this. Our food is extraordinarilly cheap. But, it ain't going to be so in the very near future. Good article. I suppose the conservative MSM is just too busy to address the subject.

Biofuels have forced global food prices up by 75% - far more than previously estimated - according to a confidential World Bank report obtained by the Guardian.

The damning unpublished assessment is based on the most detailed analysis of the crisis so far, carried out by an internationally-respected economist at global financial body.

The figure emphatically contradicts the US government's claims that plant-derived fuels contribute less than 3% to food-price rises. It will add to pressure on governments in Washington and across Europe, which have turned to plant-derived fuels to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and reduce their dependence on imported oil.

Senior development sources believe the report, completed in April, has not been published to avoid embarrassing President gwb.

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy

We can thank the liberal environmental wackos. They pushed to force all fuel to be mixed with ethanol. 25-30% of corn is turned into biofuel. Corn is used to feed livestock and is used in alot of our foods. When the price goes up it effects just about everything.

FoxNews just talked about it last night with Newt Gingrich. I guess you count that as ignoring the issue.

Psychoblues
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
FauxNews is hardly MSM, Hawk.

Psychoblues
07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
This may come as a surprise to you, emmett, but I was an elected official for 21 years. I gave a resume' when I first came in contact with the predessesor of this particular board. I would also point out that I maintained an independant non-partisan stature during all of those years and my elections were won due to my own groundwork without any official party participation.

Rhetorical. david is good at this sort of thing. I personally think the Democrats have passed b y some real talent. He should be in Washington.

I would also point out that since my retirement from elected politics I have been offered political appointments from both major American parties. My choice, I turned them down. You must understand that my elected political past is diverse but more importantly is over. I now simply enjoy the banter and of course the exercise of my right to speak and most importantly to vote.

Maybe the next time you come through town we can get together, throw back a beer or two and share some good ol' war stories!!!!!!!!!!

Trigg
07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I can't get past the point where you call the MSM conservative. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::l augh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Trigg
07-10-2008, 04:38 PM

This was actually discussed in a previous thread about over-population.

Mundam and I actually agreed that ethanol was hurting global food prices.

This conservative has noticed grocery prices going up due to gas prices going up. It isn't something new and probably won't change until gas prices stablize.

Are you seriously calling MSNBC and CBS those ardent Obama supporters and Bush haters conservative?????? :laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Why, yes.

Are you seriously calling MSNBC and CBS those ardent Obama supporters and Bush haters conservative?????? :laugh2:

There is no liberal MSM that I am aware of. Can you point me in a general direction?

manu1959
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=15457

emmett
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
This may come as a surprise to you, emmett, but I was an elected official for 21 years. I gave a resume' when I first came in contact with the predessesor of this particular board. I would also point out that I maintained an independant non-partisan stature during all of those years and my elections were won due to my own groundwork without any official party participation.

I would also point out that since my retirement from elected politics I have been offered political appointments from both major American parties. My choice, I turned them down. You must understand that my elected political past is diverse but more importantly is over. I now simply enjoy the banter and of course the exercise of my right to speak and most importantly to vote.

Maybe the next time you come through town we can get together, throw back a beer or two and share some good ol' war stories!!!!!!!!!!

That explains how you became so in love with government then, your 21 years of service. I'm sorry David :laugh2: I just can't see the GOP having ever have offered you any position beyond maybe..................(nope I won't say it).

David, you shouldn't take so much of that medication at one time, you should save some for later.

Psychoblues
07-11-2008, 04:14 AM
If my Prevacid or Reglan upset you then I think it may by your problem, emmett. Those are the only meds I currently take and the only ones I have taken for many years now.

That explains how you became so in love with government then, your 21 years of service. I'm sorry David :laugh2: I just can't see the GOP having ever have offered you any position beyond maybe..................(nope I won't say it).

David, you shouldn't take so much of that medication at one time, you should save some for later.

More seriously, there certainly have been Republicans that have been very interested in me for particular votes, support and, yes, positions. Back in the day, I even entertained a few of them. But, that's another story for another time.

Keep 'er between the ditches, emmett.

actsnoblemartin
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
excellent article

Trigg
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Why, yes.

There is no liberal MSM that I am aware of. Can you point me in a general direction?

I already did or are you having trouble reading today??

Keith Olberman on MSNBC is about as lib as they come. In fact ALL of the news programing on NBC and CBS are pro-dem.

The only news channel that comes close to conservative is Fox and libs hate that channel. This was proven when Obama refused to be interviewed by them.

Trigg
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
As far as conservatives not caring about the issues originally brought up in this thread. It's been discussed twice already.