PDA

View Full Version : Marriage - worth a read

midcan5
07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
An Ideal Husband By Maureen Dowd

"For 40 years, he has been giving a lecture — “Whom Not to Marry” — to high school seniors, mostly girls because they’re more interested.

“It’s important to do it before they fall seriously in love, because then it will be too late,” he explains. “Infatuation trumps judgment.”

I asked him to summarize his talk:

“Never marry a man who has no friends,” he starts. “This usually means that he will be incapable of the intimacy that marriage demands. I am always amazed at the number of men I have counseled who have no friends...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/opinion/06dowd.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

gabosaurus
07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
That certainly makes sense.

AFbombloader
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
It does make sense, especally if you change every him to a her and vice versa. The same follows suite for a young man looking at marriage. It is never a one way street.

AF:salute:

Abbey Marie
07-06-2008, 11:51 AM
And always look at how he treats his mother.

actsnoblemartin
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM

I dont agree with that, because. If a father doesnt get along with his daughter or a son doesnt get along with his mother, that should have no bearing, and its none of the girlfriend or boyfriends business.

im sorry abbey, but i think marriage is a female fairy tale

5stringJeff
07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
My advice to my daughter (especially now that she's starting high school) is that infatuation does not equal love. Infatuation is a feeling, but love is a choice. Or, as DC Talk once said, back in about 1991: Love is a Verb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzCrNd1zOA). It requires action on the part of each person in the relationship.

5stringJeff
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I dont agree with that, because. If a father doesnt get along with his daughter or a son doesnt get along with his mother, that should have no bearing, and its none of the girlfriend or boyfriends business.

im sorry abbey, but i think marriage is a female fairy tale

Martin, just because you are not willing (or able) to commit to a lifelong relationship with a woman doesn't mean that others can't, or don't desire to.

emmett
07-06-2008, 12:56 PM

And.........................................he should take a look AT her mother to see what she is going to look like in twenty or thirty years. LOL.

A look at how the man treats everyone would be the ticket. Does he open doors for others and speak in a generally respectful manner.

How does he treat his sister?

Can he manage a sentence without cussing?

Watch out for the too goody shoes! They will be incapable of protecting a girl in case of emergency.

Is he trained in how to use a gun. I certainly do not want my grand daughter to marry a man who can not knock the nuts off a gnat with a handgun. If she chooses one, I assure you he will after I get done with him.

Does he like the Georgia Bulldawgs? Any man who is not a bulldog can't really be a qualified husband.:laugh2: