PDA

View Full Version : Deconstructing Barack Obama

midcan5
07-07-2008, 12:25 PM
"To some, it all seems calculated and hubristic, and they will no doubt continue to detect in his style a self-involved inwardness. But, to me, it feels like heartfelt homage from someone with a keen sense of the complexities and commonalities of human experience. On the hopeful premise that style really does tell us something about the man, this man--to my ear, at least--is the real deal."

Deconstructing Barry by Andrew Delbanco

"By the time I reached high school, I was playing on Punahou's teams, and could take my game to the university courts, where a handful of black men, mostly gym rats and has-beens, would teach me an attitude that didn't just have to do with sport. That respect came from what you did and not who your daddy was. That you could talk stuff to rattle an opponent, but that you should shut the hell up if you couldn't back it up. That you didn't let anyone sneak up behind you to see emotions--like hurt or fear--you didn't want them to see.

And something else, too, something nobody talked about: a way of being together when the game was tight and the sweat broke and the best players stopped worrying about their points and the worst players got swept up in the moment and the score only mattered because that's how you sustained the trance. In the middle of which you might make a move or a pass that surprised even you, so that even the guy guarding you had to smile, as if to say, "Damn ...""

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=d4faae88-2e0b-474f-aebe-c815fd3d21e9

mundame
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
"To some, it all seems calculated and hubristic, and they will no doubt continue to detect in his style a self-involved inwardness. But, to me, it feels like heartfelt homage from someone with a keen sense of the complexities and commonalities of human experience. On the hopeful premise that style really does tell us something about the man, this man--to my ear, at least--is the real deal."

Deconstructing Barry by Andrew Delbanco

"By the time I reached high school, I was playing on Punahou's teams, and could take my game to the university courts, where a handful of black men, mostly gym rats and has-beens, would teach me an attitude that didn't just have to do with sport. That respect came from what you did and not who your daddy was. That you could talk stuff to rattle an opponent, but that you should shut the hell up if you couldn't back it up. That you didn't let anyone sneak up behind you to see emotions--like hurt or fear--you didn't want them to see.

And something else, too, something nobody talked about: a way of being together when the game was tight and the sweat broke and the best players stopped worrying about their points and the worst players got swept up in the moment and the score only mattered because that's how you sustained the trance. In the middle of which you might make a move or a pass that surprised even you, so that even the guy guarding you had to smile, as if to say, "Damn ...""

Very self-involved.

It's all about him.

But I'm not interested in him.

midcan5
07-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Very self-involved.
It's all about him.
But I'm not interested in him.

A very immature reply considering he will be our next president. And if a person is to judge another seems to me they have to know something about the other and biography in all its forms is a good tool.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/

5stringJeff
07-08-2008, 06:23 AM
A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

I've already shown that your profession to care about "the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering" is BS. Why do you continue to spout this line?

mundame
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
A very immature reply considering he will be our next president.

Naaaaaaaah, I'm not immature by definition. I'm DEFINITELY not immature enough to allow you to tell me whom I have to take an interest in, and consider yourself informed, Obama Barack is not among this elect.

And if a person is to judge another seems to me they have to know something about the other and biography in all its forms is a good tool.

No need to bother. I've already judged: He's leftist, he's black, and he's gravely inexperienced.

This country is going down like the Titanic, but there is nothing I can do about it, so I give up.

midcan5
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Naaaaaaaah, I'm not immature by definition. I'm DEFINITELY not immature enough to allow you to tell me whom I have to take an interest in, and consider yourself informed, Obama Barack is not among this elect.

Jeez, here I thought you feminists were full of spunk and vinegar.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2008/03/australian-labo.html

mundame
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Jeez, here I thought you feminists were full of spunk and vinegar.

Not me, I'm a pussycat. http://macg.net/emoticons/smilebow.gif