PDA

View Full Version : Obama statement

MtnBiker
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
"I am absolutely committed to ending the war. I will call my joint chiefs of staff in and give them a new assignment and that is to end the war."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25548545/

Is there anything wrong with this statement?

5stringJeff
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Legally, no, although he'd likely call in his SecDef first.

Politically, it's naive to think that all hostilities will cease on 20 January. It will take months to move all our troops out of Iraq.

bullypulpit
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Not particularly, especially given that Nouri al-Maliki has called for a timetable for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq and an end to foreign occupation.

bullypulpit
07-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Legally, no, although he'd likely call in his SecDef first.

Politically, it's naive to think that all hostilities will cease on 20 January. It will take months to move all our troops out of Iraq.

Indeed, Obama has recognized the need for a phased withdrawal. Best estimates, from purely logistical standpoint, are 16 to 24 months.

MtnBiker
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
July 07, 2008
Obama's lack of understanding exposed again
Thomas Lifson
Dean Barnett noticed a stunning level of ignorance by Barack Obama about the command structure he seeks to head as commander-in-chief and blogged about it at The Weekly Standard.

When Obama held his second press conference late last week to address his ever more slippery position on withdrawing troops from Iraq, he stated:

"I am absolutely committed to ending the war," the longtime community organizer declared. "I will call my Joint Chiefs of Staff in and give them a new assignment and that is to end the war."

Barnett explains well the role of Joint Chefs as a staff unit, which provides advice to the commander-in-chief. In order to avoid conflicts within their respective services and provide clear advice, the joint chiefs are by law excluded from the command structure. The command structure (what is called the "line" part of the organization in corporate organizations) consists of people like General Petraeus, who actually run the military organization through its structure of commands. Barnett comments sarcastically:

Surely Obama knows this. Obviously he wouldn't be seeking the role of Commander-in-Chief without knowing how the job is done.

Obama has such a naive view of running organizations that he doesn't appreciate way they actually work. Just call in the guys with braids on their uniforms and give orders.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/07/post_95.html

It is reasonable to assume for someone with such little experience as Obama that such a mistake could happen.

Yurt
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/07/post_95.html

It is reasonable to assume for someone with such little experience as Obama that such a mistake could happen.

if he would not have gotten such a free pass in the press during the primaries, it is highly possible that he would not have won. his ignorance and dishonesty is so in your face that i think many people are in denial...those that blindly support him...or they hate bush so bad that they will do anything to make sure a republican is not elected come november

party over country

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Aside from the Joint Chiefs flub, no... except that he carefully omits to explain HOW they will end the war. By winning it and then withdrawing? Or simply by withdrawing, leaving the enemy in the field free to move in and take over (this is called "losing")?

I suspect it is a carefully contrived omission. No matter which course he takes in the future, he can claim that he did what he promised in July 2008.

In other words, the statement means NOTHING. He can later claim it meant whatever course he eventually takes.

retiredman
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
exactly. He will certainly talk to his secdef first. However, If he wants to talk to the top dog in the army and give him and the secdef guidance on troop withdrawals, he is going to talk to George Casey, who is a member of the joint chiefs.

MtnBiker
07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I am absolutely committed to ending the war. I will call my joint chiefs of staff in and give them a new assignment and that is to end the war

Barnett explains well the role of Joint Chefs as a staff unit, which provides advice to the commander-in-chief. In order to avoid conflicts within their respective services and provide clear advice, the joint chiefs are by law excluded from the command structure. The command structure (what is called the "line" part of the organization in corporate organizations) consists of people like General Petraeus, who actually run the military organization through its structure of commands.

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Is it reasonable to vote such an inexperienced person, who makes such appalling mistakes, into the Presidency of the United States?

retiredman
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Is it reasonable to vote such an inexperienced person, who makes such appalling mistakes, into the Presidency of the United States?

America did in 2000!

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
So we have one person (possibly a bot) who agrees that we should not vote Obama into the Presidency.

Anyone else agree?

07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
America did in 2000!

You complain about President Bush when his resume is a lot fuller than Senator Obama's resume?

REDWHITEBLUE2
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
America did in 2000! But Thank God Al Gore Didn't Get to Screw America up Worse then Bush Has :laugh2:

retiredman
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
You complain about President Bush when his resume is a lot fuller than Senator Obama's resume?

I disagree. Bush's resume has some failed business dealings and two terms as a figurehead governor. Obama's has solid community organizing, law schood instruction, state senate and now US senate.

red states rule
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Obama has PhD in liberalsim.

The messiah voted against the confirmation of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito

The messiah is a proud surrender monkey who will lead his party in quick surrender in Iraq.

The messiah will impose on the nation a record tax increases that will destroy the incentive to work and create a new industry in tax avoidance.

These are only a few things off the messiah's resume

Abbey Marie
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Obama has PhD in liberalsim.

The messiah voted against the confirmation of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito

The messiah is a proud surrender monkey who will lead his party in quick surrender in Iraq.

The messiah will impose on the nation a record tax increases that will destroy the incentive to work and create a new industry in tax avoidance.

These are only a few things off the messiah's resume

But at least Mrs. Messiah will be proud.

red states rule
07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
But at least Mrs. Messiah will be proud.

Only if he wins Abbey. Remember, the Obama's must beat "whitey"

Abbey Marie
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Only if he wins Abbey. Remember, the Obama's must beat "whitey"

If he does win ( :shudder: ) I wonder what position he will give to Wright.
Secretary of State?

I would have said Supreme Court nomineee, but that will probably go to Mrs. Messiah.

red states rule
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
If he does win ( :shudder: ) I wonder what position he will give to Wright.
Secretary of State?

I would have said Supreme Court nomineee, but that will probably go to Mrs. Messiah.

Wright will be head of the Civil Rights Commission

For the USSC the messiah could pick Bill Clinton

Call it "Nightmare on Pennsylvania Ave".

retiredman
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Wright will be head of the Civil Rights Commission

For the USSC the messiah could pick Bill Clinton

Call it "Nightmare on Pennsylvania Ave".
Wright will have no role in an Obama administration. guaranteed.

USSC might very well go to Hillary, not Bill... his having been disbarred would be problematic

mundame
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
USSC might very well go to Hillary, not Bill... his having been disbarred would be problematic

Wow. I'll say.

I'd like to see Hillary on the Court, though.

Little-Acorn
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd like to see Hillary on the Court, though.

Me, too.

In front of it, facing the bench. And sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Yurt
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
clinton was not disbarred from the SCOTUS, he resigned. his license was only suspended for 5 years in AK. technically, it is possible he could ask to be reinstated.

retiredman
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
clinton was not disbarred from the SCOTUS, he resigned. his license was only suspended for 5 years in AK. technically, it is possible he could ask to be reinstated.I understand that. I believe that his having lost his license would make some senators, and certainly Obama, think that he might not be a good choice for SCOTUS. Hillary would be a great choice and would make a good justice, IMO

Yurt
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I understand that. I believe that his having lost his license would make some senators, and certainly Obama, think that he might not be a good choice for SCOTUS. Hillary would be a great choice and would make a good justice, IMO

well, your post clearly indicated you did not know the difference, and given your recent threat concerning my disbarment, it seemed amusing that you should make a comment that was not true.

retiredman
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
well, your post clearly indicated you did not know the difference, and given your recent threat concerning my disbarment, it seemed amusing that you should make a comment that was not true.

my post stated that I thought his having been disbarred might be problematic. that was and remains a true and honest statement. And I have never "threatened" you with anything yurt. grow up.

gabosaurus
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
How to end the war in Iraq:
Admit that Bush totally fucked up by starting the whole mess. Then state the obvious, that Iraq has had several years to take control of its own affairs, but failed to do so.
Finally, admit that the conflict can not be "won" by any means, and get the hell out.
Our "mission" was "accomplished" several years ago. So obviously the war has already been won. So why are we still there?

Iraq can sink or swim. So can Israel. Both should be adequately prepared to defend themselves. If they chose not to, that is their own business.

The only faction that wants the war to continue are those who enjoy the continued slaughter. On both sides.

Yurt
07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Wright will have no role in an Obama administration. guaranteed.

my post stated that I thought his having been disbarred might be problematic. that was and remains a true and honest statement. And I have never "threatened" you with anything yurt. grow up.

no, you clearly said he was disbarrred, which is factually incorrect, thus, not true.

and you have no room to speak to anyone about growing up, given your penchant for insults, lies, etc...

anyways, back to the topic

PostmodernProphet
07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
exactly. He will certainly talk to his secdef first.

Wesley Clark?.......

red states rule
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Wesley Clark?.......

More like Medea Benjamin of Code Pinko