PDA

View Full Version : Black-themed network will cover Dem convention, but not Republican

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Let's see.

Either they are doing this because the Dem candidate is black and the Republican candidate is white... which makes their decision and example of flagrant racism.

Or they are doing it because they support liberalism and oppose conservatism... which makes their decision an example of flagrant censorship by a media channel of a viewpoint they don't like.

Or.....??

Any other suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/07/tv-one-to-cover.html

TV One to cover Democratic convention -- but not Republican

July 08, 2008

TCA -- Given Barack Obama's historic run for the Oval Office, African American-themed cable network TV One plans to break from its usual entertainment programming to provide extensive coverage of the Democratic National Convention in August.

"This is a huge deal for TV One as it is for the African American community," said Johnathan Rodgers, president and CEO of TV One, a channel in about 40 million homes. "African Americans have fallen in love with Barack Obama’s family, his candidacy … we will be covering the democratic convention all the time."

But John McCain shouldn’t expect the same treatment. The network doesn’t plan any coverage of the Republican convention.

"We are not a news organization," said Rodgers, speaking at the opening session of the semi-annual Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills. "We are a television network designed to celebrate African American achievement."

"My audience is 93% black," Rogers added. "I serve my audience."

TV One does have a republican pundit as part of its convention coverage, comedian Sheryl Underwood. But she’s also voting for Obama.

When critics pressed a panel of TV One’s convention pundits about whether African American republicans will feel slighted, Underwood said, “I speak for all eight of us -- we are not slighted.”

As a cable network, TV One is likely exempt from any equal time access rules. Federal Communications Commission rules state that broadcast networks are required to give equal time to presidential candidates.

In 2007, when “Law & Order” actor Fred Thompson entered the race for the Republican nomination, NBC pulled episodes that featured him, but cable network TNT did not pull “L&O” repeats. Still, the matter is also considered a regulation gray area, with the FCC largely untested on the issue.

5stringJeff
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Should they be forced to show both?

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Should they be forced to show both?

Why do you want to force them to show both?

Of course they shouldn't be forced (though the Dem-supported Fairness Doctrine might have that exact result for them). But they should explain why they made the decision the way they did, and maybe answer a few probing questions as followups. If they can.

Their CEO said he is "following his audience", which he says is 93% black. In other words, the racism and/or censorship he's supporting, is his audience's fault, not his. He's basically accusing large, unnamed numbers of black people of this racism or censorship.

It would be interesting hearing him explain that.

KitchenKitten99
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I say we start WET... white-entertainment television. :D

retiredman
07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
my guess is that TV One is not going to cover the country music awards either.

Why would a network aimed at a black audience waste air time on a republican convention when less than 15% of blacks nationwide vote for the republican party?

How many advertisers who are trying to target black audiences are gonna pay TV One airtime rates to run ads on that network during their coverage of the GOP convention????

TV One is tryin' to make money.

namvet
07-08-2008, 04:55 PM
dey gonna serve chicken and watermelon?????

Little-Acorn
07-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Why would a network aimed at a black audience waste air time on a republican convention when less than 15% of blacks nationwide vote for the republican party?

How many advertisers who are trying to target black audiences are gonna pay TV One airtime rates to run ads on that network during their coverage of the GOP convention????

Yes, catering to bigots and racists can be quite lucrative. I guess that justifies racism.

After all, pretty much the same argument ($$) was used to justify keeping black people as slaves in the pre-Civil-War days. And the Democrats supported that, too.

Apparently the philosophy of a party changes very slowly, if at all, on some things.

Trigg
07-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Maybe they'd show the republican convention in order to show all of the news?? How about that??

Face it this is racism and they're getting away with it because no one wants to call them on it.

MtnBiker
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Any other suggestions?

To give guilty white liberals an oppurtunity to make lame excuses for their decision.

retiredman
07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Maybe they'd show the republican convention in order to show all of the news?? How about that??

Face it this is racism and they're getting away with it because no one wants to call them on it.

if they were a news network, you might have a point.

jimnyc
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Apparently the philosophy of a party changes very slowly, if at all, on some things.

What if another major broadcast company held McCain only coverage, but it wasn't a company that catered solely to a particular racial group. Would they be racist for their selection process, or is it ok for them because they want to make money?

retiredman
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
What if another major broadcast company held McCain only coverage, but it wasn't a company that catered solely to a particular racial group. Would they be racist for their selection process, or is it ok for them because they want to make money?

would you except a latino only channel to carry coverage of the nordic lutefisk competition?

Kathianne
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah, like FOX. What if they only covered the Rep. Convention and spent as much time as possible during that, bashing Obama?

jimnyc
07-08-2008, 07:50 PM
would you except a latino only channel to carry coverage of the nordic lutefisk competition?

Hell, I accept the station we're discussing doing what they are! It's their business and they should run it as they see fit. But I think many blacks that immediately label whites as racists should look at their own actions before being so quick to condemn others. Not even giving McCain a chance to their viewers is equal to saying to vote for Obama because he is black. Whether wrong or right, their decision is in effect 'racism'.

Yeah, like FOX. What if they only covered the Rep. Convention and spent as much time as possible during that, bashing Obama?

Then they would say that Fox doesn't want to make money. :)

Abbey Marie
07-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Just another example of the extreme polarization of America, thanks to Obama and his Wright-influenced, Michelle-influenced "racial" campaign.
I think it is just going to get worse as the election progresses.

KitchenKitten99
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Just another example of the extreme polarization of America, thanks to Obama and his Wright-influenced, Michelle-influenced "racial" campaign.
I think it is just going to get worse as the election progresses.

And no one, including McCain, will have the collective balls to call them on it.

mundame
07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Hell, I accept the station we're discussing doing what they are! It's their business and they should run it as they see fit. But I think many blacks that immediately label whites as racists should look at their own actions before being so quick to condemn others. Not even giving McCain a chance to their viewers is equal to saying to vote for Obama because he is black. Whether wrong or right, their decision is in effect 'racism'.

Interesting issue. I think you are right on both points.