PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Story About Food and DNC? Gets Better

Kathianne
07-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, petty but funny:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/08/food-guidelines-have-some-seeing-red-and-blue/

Food all over the map at GOP, Democratic conventions
By Sara Burnett, Rocky Mountain News (Contact), Julie Poppen, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Tuesday, July 8, 2008

To the many differences between Republicans and Democrats, add one more: menus for their presidential conventions.

The Democratic National Convention host committee guidelines for caterers suggest serving mostly organic fare or Colorado products, and avoiding fried foods. The guidelines even suggest color schemes on plates.

"This is the food police," groused Denver City Councilman Charlie Brown on Monday. "These people stood in line too long at the Aspen Food and Wine Festival."

He said he's heard from caterers who feel if they deviate from the guidelines, they won't get DNC business.

The Republicans have not placed restrictions on food vendors working events hosted by the Republican National Convention organizing committee, an official spokeswoman said.

The DNC host committee issued the guidelines a month ago as part of its Lean 'N Green initiative. The suggestions are meant to guide caterers submitting bids and restaurants that want to capitalize on the concept by offering at least one meal that adheres to guidelines, said DNC host committee spokesman Chris Lopez.

The host committee's only big event - one that will attract 10,000 people - is the welcoming party at Elitch Gardens. While the catered meal is designed to be nutritious, the DNC has not hired grease police to keep delegates from sneaking off to a funnel cake stand, Lopez said.

"These come across as hard and fast rules," Lopez said. "They're recommendations."

Paul DeLongchamps, owner of Bistro Boys Catering, has bid on parties during convention week.

As for color suggestions for meals, he said, "Can you name a blue food that Colorado grows? Purple potatoes are the only thing I can think of."

Healthy food DNC-style

DNC host committee meal guidelines

* Half a meal made up of fruits and/or veggies

* At least three of the following five colors on a plate - red, green, yellow, blue/purple and white (garnishes don't count)

* No fried foods

* At least 70 percent of ingredients (based on precooked weight) certified organic and/or grown or raised in Colorado

* Use of reusable serviceware

* No bottled water, use pitchers instead

* Encourage staff to use alternative modes of transportation

theHawk
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
No bottled water?

:dunno:

glockmail
07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Based on this little tidbit, someone tell me which Party represents more freedom for the average American?

Kathianne
07-09-2008, 08:24 AM
No bottled water?

:dunno:

Environment. Nuff said. :laugh2:

MtnBiker
07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I would not be suprised if most of the delegates bypassed the caterers with the food restritions and went to area restaurants and eat what ever they want. Watch alot of the organic food go uneaten and thrown away into the garbage.

Kathianne
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I would not be suprised if most of the delegates bypassed the caterers with the food restritions and went to area restaurants and eat what ever they want. Watch alot of the organic food go uneaten and thrown away into the garbage.

That was my thought exactly. LOL!

MtnBiker
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
It will really help in lowering the carbon footprint. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
It will really help in lowering the carbon footprint. :rolleyes:

Wherever pols hang, there we'll find hypocrisy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/over-caviar-and-sea-urchin-g8-leaders-mull-food-crisis-862051.html

Over caviar and sea urchin, G8 leaders mull food crisis

By Andrew Grice, Political Editor in Hokkaido
Tuesday, 8 July 2008

World leaders are not renowned for their modest wine selections or reticence at the G8 summit's cheese board. True to form, discussing the global food crisis – spiralling grocery prices in the developed world and starvation in Africa – was clearly hungry work that left their stomachs rumbling.

Shortly after calling for us all to waste less food, and for an end to three-for-two deals in British supermarkets, Gordon Brown joined his fellow G8 premiers and their wives for an eight-course Marie Antoinette-style "Blessings of the Earth and the Sea Social Dinner", courtesy of the Japanese government.

The global food shortage was not evident. As the champagne flowed, the couples enjoyed 18 "higher-quality ingredients", beginning with amuse-bouche of corn stuffed with caviar, smoked salmon and sea urchin pain-surprise-style, hot onion tart and winter lily bulbs...

mundame
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Based on this little tidbit, someone tell me which Party represents more freedom for the average American?

Yeah. I hate this bossiness stuff. What happened to people minding their own business?

glockmail
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah. I hate this bossiness stuff. What happened to people minding their own business? Its the Democrat Party. Thet claim to be the Party of personal freedoms, but are always the first to stomp all over those freedoms.

midcan5
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Guys, this is still a free country, they are the customer, they can decide what they want, it is their money.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

MtnBiker
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
The delegates cannot decide want they want. The DNC put restricitons on what food can be served by caterers.

To be a democrat delegate is to be a delegate without fundamental principles of America, the right of individual freedom to choose what food you eat becase the DNC is interfering with choices

glockmail
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Food Nazis. Gotta love it! :lol:

Abbey Marie
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I used to have the impression that these conventions were one big ol' party. I guess that has changed?

namvet
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
still say its gonna be fried chicken and watermelon.

VHJd-CwDxic

red states rule
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I used to have the impression that these conventions were one big ol' party. I guess that has changed?

Somehow I can't see Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy following the food rules. The local Burger King is going to do a hell of alot business

Abbey Marie
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Somehow I can't see Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy following the food rules. The local Burger King is going to do a hell of alot business

Now that you mention those two, I assume hookers are still on the menu? :laugh2:

red states rule
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Now that you mention those two, I assume hookers are still on the menu? :laugh2:

It is what you call an All You CAnt Eat buffet

Any hooker who goes with Ted will keep a pair of water wings on at all times

and Bill will remember his Spray and Wash this time