PDA

View Full Version : Iran: Time for a smackdown?

GW in Ohio
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
One day after threatening to strike Israeli and U.S. interests if attacked, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards were reported Wednesday to have test-fired nine missiles, including one that Tehran claims has the range to reach Israel.
"The aim of these war games is to show we are ready to defend the integrity of the Iranian nation," Al-Alam quoted Revolutionary Guards air force commander Hossein Salami as saying.
"Our missiles are ready for shooting at any place and any time, quickly and with accuracy. The enemy must not repeat its mistakes. The enemy targets are under surveillance," he added.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad again took aim at the West on Tuesday, blaming the US and Europe for "artificially" raising oil prices and dismissing as "a funny joke" fears that his country could come under attack.

Gen. Hossein Salami, the air force commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards, said the exercise would "demonstrate our resolve and might against enemies who in recent weeks have threatened Iran with harsh language," the TV report said.

"Our hands are always on the trigger and our missiles are ready for launch," the official IRNA news agency quoted Salami as saying Wednesday.

Are these assholes asking for it, or what?

Or do they know that the Bush administration has already over-extended itself militarily and economically with its disastrous foray into Iraq, and cannot afford to open up another front?

mundame
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Are these assholes asking for it, or what?

Or do they know that the Bush administration has already over-extended itself militarily and economically with its disastrous foray into Iraq, and cannot afford to open up another front?

I think it's "or what."

Well, obviously we're wildly overextended and can't manage another "war of choice"! So Iraq may feel safe in trying what I think is their real strategy here:

They are trying to break the bank.

It WAS bin Laden's strategy, too, after all: ruin our financial system, bring it down.

They are playing seesaw with our oil prices and causing havoc, and I think it's working all too well.

Look what happens constantly now --- earlier this week lots of saber rattling and oil went up. Yesterday Ahmadinejad said, "No war" and oil went down eight dollars. That's a LOT. Today they send out those photos of missiles rising from the desert, very elegant, and oil shoots up again to $136.89 a barrel.

None of this is good for our economy; they are PLAYING us, GW, that's what I think. Deliberately sending oil up and down rapidly, to injure our financial system.

Admittedly, we're doing the same to them --------- the sanctions, the locking of their bank accounts all around the world when we can reach them. But because they are a big oil and natural gas producer (and could hit tankers in the Gulf), they have some leverage back against us, and I think they are using it.

Somehow this does not reassure me about whether war is likely..........

GW in Ohio
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I think it's "or what."

Well, obviously we're wildly overextended and can't manage another "war of choice"! So Iraq may feel safe in trying what I think is their real strategy here:

They are trying to break the bank.

It WAS bin Laden's strategy, too, after all: ruin our financial system, bring it down.

They are playing seesaw with our oil prices and causing havoc, and I think it's working all too well.

Look what happens constantly now --- earlier this week lots of saber rattling and oil went up. Yesterday Ahmadinejad said, "No war" and oil went down eight dollars. That's a LOT. Today they send out those photos of missiles rising from the desert, very elegant, and oil shoots up again to $136.89 a barrel.

None of this is good for our economy; they are PLAYING us, GW, that's what I think. Deliberately sending oil up and down rapidly, to injure our financial system.

Admittedly, we're doing the same to them --------- the sanctions, the locking of their bank accounts all around the world when we can reach them. But because they are a big oil and natural gas producer (and could hit tankers in the Gulf), they have some leverage back against us, and I think they are using it.

Somehow this does not reassure me about whether war is likely..........

Mundame: I also have the feeling, when I see the price of gas going down a little, then back up, that somebody is jerking us (consumers) around.

It's a shame that Bush and his gang of idiots had such itchy trigger fingers that they couldn't refrain from starting a senseless conflict in Iraq. The real enemy is Iran. Those boys are just begging for a good ass-kicking. But they're taunting us with all that trash talking because they know we've expended our military, political and economic capital on Iraq.

mundame
07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Mundame: I also have the feeling, when I see the price of gas going down a little, then back up, that somebody is jerking us (consumers) around.

People never make war the way you WANT them to, that is, the way you know you can win.

Bin Laden wanted to take down our financial system (he says this on all his tapes and videos, his post-9/11 film career) and Iran is taking that advice, IMO.

I think it's working pretty well, and Russia is only too pleased to help them, and of course Venezuela too. They can seesaw us up and down and up and down until wheels start falling off.

They may well get too clever; I'm not the only one starting to figure this out; there was a story on page 2 of the Wall Street Journal yesterday that hinted at it, but I actually woke up worrying about just this -- that it's a PLOT -- one morning last week.

We're a pugnacious country, and it's generally a mistake to assume we won't fight; that was the whole strategy of the Japanese when they destroyed our Pacific Fleet in December, 1941. But that was a whoops.

This may be a diplomatic attack: they want the sanctions off, and they may keep on with this frequent saber-rattling till we take them off.

It's not looking good for stopping their nuke program. Iran knows that as soon as they have nukes, we stop bullying them and give them whatever they want: look at how we've done that with North Korea. We give them everything --------------------- simply because they have nukes.

And the more they sell them, set up nuke factories in other countries, ship weapons, the more we give them. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

PostmodernProphet
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
"Our hands are always on the trigger and our missiles are ready for launch," the official IRNA news agency quoted Salami as saying Wednesday.

"but we would not be a threat to international security if we obtained a nuclear bomb".........

Gaffer
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
iran has been waging an economic war with us for many years. Nothing new there. Your right Mundame, they are trying to manipulate things. There is a big plot going on to cripple our economy. Expect more from them in the near future.

They did their missile tests, which I mentioned a couple of days ago. They are continuing to build bigger and longer range missiles, disguised as a satellite program, like the nukes are for generating electricity. Our dilly dallying around for the last few years have enabled them to get their medium range missiles developed and on line.

We need to have a new surge in iraq, not to fight iraqi's but to get ready to go into iran. We are in position to do that as well as to strike from afghan and the gulf. If we don't strike soon and first it is going to be disastrous for our economy and military. But I expect we will do nothing.

07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
how are we overextended when it's clear that we are ready to start turning Iraqi security to the Iraqi government.

mundame
07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
how are we overextended when it's clear that we are ready to start turning Iraqi security to the Iraqi government.

Au contraire, the Bush administration is negotiating hard to try to keep a large military presence active in Iraq indefinitely. It's been all over the news this week, because Maliki wants us entirely gone. Just yesterday the general who trains Iraqis said they are very behind and we need to be there training them "indefinitely."

So we want to be there in force forever (like McCain wants), but they want us out, out, out.

The Bare Knuckled Pundit
07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Bear in mind that a missile and a nuclear weapon are two completely different things.

While I may have a nuclear weapon, if I have to use my Jeep as the delivery system, its utility is extremely limited. In order to create a true strategic weapon one must be able to miniaturize the weapon, mate it to a missile, make it survivable so it doesn't become disabled in flight and perfect a guidance system.

Nonetheless, the Iranian missile program is a significant component of a strategic weapons program and should be taken very seriously. In addition to being a delivery system for nuclear weapons, it can also deliver conventional high explosives as well as chemical, biological and radiological payloads. Again, the last three are dependent on their weaponization and in-flight survivability, though.

Personally, I would recommend the Administration add an immediate and permanent halt to missile technology transfers as part of the price for a comprehensive agreement with North Korea on their nuclear program. Iran has been provided significant funding in exchange for NK missile technology. The result is the Shahab 3 that was tested yesterday and plans for the Shahab 4 and 5. Intead of dealing with these matters piecemeal, perhaps a more holistic and comprehensive approach is in order.

I would wholeheartedly agree, though, that the regime is aggressively pursuing the asymmetrical tactic of undermining the dollar and attacking our economy. It makes perfect sense, if you stop to think about it. That's one of the reasons they continue to press OPEC to drop the dollar as the preferred currency for oil purchases.

Remember, chess was created by Persians and the regime is clearly playing a masterful game.

mundame
07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I would wholeheartedly agree, though, that the regime is aggressively pursuing the asymmetrical tactic of undermining the dollar and attacking our economy. It makes perfect sense, if you stop to think about it. That's one of the reasons they continue to press OPEC to drop the dollar as the preferred currency for oil purchases.

Remember, chess was created by Persians and the regime is clearly playing a masterful game.

Thank you, BKP --- that was disconcerting, to suddenly wake up last week KNOWING it was a plot by the Iranians to jerk oil prices up and down and up and down. I'm not usually given to that much paranoia, but I follow the financial papers, and I just .........got it.

An asymmetric attack, yet another one. That's all we get, is attacks from the side we AREN'T prepared for. So much for all that tax money spent on tank warfare........

Instead we get planebombings, anthrax, guerrilla warfare involving civilians, video-taped and televised beheadings, and their best weapon, suicider smart-bombs.

And now sophisticated attacks on our financial system via the oil that fuels our economy.

About the smart Persians -----------------------

Sure. I agree. Impossible to imagine Arabs having weapons systems as high-tech as the ones they are showing on TV and all the Internet news sites now; Arabs just can't manage anything (since Saddam died) more than those improvised things they constantly throw into Israel or at our troops.

But those Iranian missiles and the rest........I'm afraid we may be underestimating their military capacity to take out the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf shipping.

darin
07-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Au contraire, the Bush administration is negotiating hard to try to keep a large military presence active in Iraq indefinitely. It's been all over the news this week, because Maliki wants us entirely gone. Just yesterday the general who trains Iraqis said they are very behind and we need to be there training them "indefinitely."

So we want to be there in force forever (like McCain wants), but they want us out, out, out.

You wrote Au Contraire yet what follows doesn't come close to being contrary to what Avatar wrote. What he wrote was truth about the progress in Iraq and has nothing to do with your speculation. Having a Force or Training presence in Iraq has nothing to do with the army's operational strength. (shrug)

But those Iranian missiles and the rest........I'm afraid we may be underestimating their military capacity to take out the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf shipping.

Iran needs one thing. One thing to fix it. Israel. When the US removes it's hold on Israel, and let's Israel loose, Iran becomes a non-issue. :) There may, however, be 2nd and 3rd-order issues which would arrise, however - which is why the US tries to hold Israel back a bit. :)

namvet
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
jez !!!! not this again

namvet
07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
ok ok. Rice issues warning to Iran

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran test-fired more long-range missiles overnight in a second round of exercises meant to show that the country can defend itself against any attack by the U.S. or Israel, Iranian state television reported Thursday.

link (link)

Israel to Unveil Advanced Spy Plane in Response to Iran
link (link)
im guessing they'll need a high flying bird here.

Pentagon Studying Intel on Iranian Missile Test Launch as Congress Mulls Action. what??? congress is paying attention???? incredible !!!!
link (link)

mundame
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
ok ok. Rice issues warning to Iran

link (http://link)

Israel to Unveil Advanced Spy Plane in Response to Iran
im guessing they'll need a high flying bird here.

Pentagon Studying Intel on Iranian Missile Test Launch as Congress Mulls Action. what??? congress is paying attention???? incredible !!!!

I read just now that the administration is being conciliating and assuring Iran the U.S. doesn't want war ----- this thing is spinning a little out of control, faster than people are comfortable with.

Gaffer
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I read just now that the administration is being conciliating and assuring Iran the U.S. doesn't want war ----- this thing is spinning a little out of control, faster than people are comfortable with.

It's just spinning faster than the media can spin it.

07-10-2008, 12:58 PM

The only reason to stay in Iraq is Iran. Which reaffirms what I said before.