PDA

View Full Version : EPA: Value of American Life Drops to $6.9 Million

red states rule
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Another feather in the cap of Pres Bush. Since he has been President, the value of an Amercian life has dropped

Now government bean counters use this number to see if it cost effective to put their insane regulations into law. If this keeps up, maybe we will get a smaller and cheaper government

Keep up the good work Mr President

WASHINGTON — It's not just the American dollar that's losing value. A government agency has decided that an American life isn't worth what it used to be.

The "value of a statistical life" is $6.9 million in today's dollars, the Environmental Protection Agency reckoned in May — a drop of nearly $1 million from just five years ago.

The Associated Press discovered the change after a review of cost-benefit analyses over more than a dozen years.

Though it may seem like a harmless bureaucratic recalculation, the devaluation has real consequences.

When drawing up regulations, government agencies put a value on human life and then weigh the costs versus the lifesaving benefits of a proposed rule. The less a life is worth to the government, the less the need for a regulation, such as tighter restrictions on pollution.

Consider, for example, a hypothetical regulation that costs $18 billion to enforce but will prevent 2,500 deaths. At $7.8 million per person (the old figure), the lifesaving benefits outweigh the costs. But at $6.9 million per person, the rule costs more than the lives it saves, so it may not be adopted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380447,00.html

Little-Acorn
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
If we turn over responsibility for our lives and well-being to the government, then it makes sense for them to make such calculation and rule over us accordingly.

But did we?

I didn't.

red states rule
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
If we turn over responsibility for our lives and well-being to the government, then it makes sense for them to make such calculation and rule over us accordingly.

But did we?

I didn't.

Nor did I

But there alot of people out there willing to do so, and place their trust in the messiah and the Dems

They will get what they deserve. The second coming of Peanut Carter

Little-Acorn
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
The government was formed to defend our rights, one of which was our right to life.

Now they're trying to decide whether we're worth it or not?

red states rule
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
The government was formed to defend our rights, one of which was our right to life.

Now they're trying to decide whether we're worth it or not?

One thing about the liberal mindset - it is all about money. The more they can take away from us, the more they can spend to make our lives "better"

To them, it is there money - not ours

With libs running the government they wil tell us what rights we have. Those rights are subject to change without prior notice

Noir
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Just as an off-topic side note; i was reminded of a joke apon reading the topic title.

Q. What is 6.9?

A. A great thing ruined by a period
:)

gabosaurus
07-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Try being sent to Iraq. Your value of life will drop to zero.

Yurt
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
according to some stat site someone posted here a while back, my life is worth a few million more solely because my schlong is 10 inches

i'm only 40 inches tall

gabosaurus
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I think you are getting inches confused with millimeters.
As reported by the local working girl. You asked her for oral pleasure. She turned you down because she didn't have any tweezers. :p

Yurt
07-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I think you are getting inches confused with millimeters.
As reported by the local working girl. You asked her for oral pleasure. She turned you down because she didn't have any tweezers. :p

i just bought you new tweezers last week! and dammit, don't those braces help for oral!

red states rule
07-12-2008, 08:00 AM

If you are a terrorist. The US military is very happy to help the terrorist pigs have their meeting with Allah

07-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I disagree. I think those willing to fight for freedom and rebuild a civilization have a much higher value than those who critique their actions from the sidelines.

red states rule
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I disagree. I think those willing to fight for freedom and rebuild a civilization have a much higher value than those who critique their actions from the sidelines.

The troops are priceless, and their critics are worthless