PDA

View Full Version : Favre seeks unconditional release from Packers

red states rule
07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I would love to see him playing in Washington

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Three days after a conference call with Packers team officials in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked by letter for his unconditional contractual release, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy weren't available for comment Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

5stringJeff
07-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Man, I think Brett Favre is a great guy and a great QB, but didn't he retire a few months ago?

red states rule
07-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Man, I think Brett Favre is a great guy and a great QB, but didn't he retire a few months ago?

Yes, but he wants to come back and play some more

I hope the Redskins are watching this and ready to offer a contract

emmett
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, but he wants to come back and play some more

I hope the Redskins are watching this and ready to offer a contract

I think he should go back to the Falcons. We need him worse than anybody.

red states rule
07-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I think he should go back to the Falcons. We need him worse than anybody.

No the Redskins need it worse. It would great to see him in a Skins uniform

jackass
07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I hope he doesnt go to either team! I wish he would stay a Packer!

red states rule
07-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I hope he doesnt go to either team! I wish he would stay a Packer!

The Packers have said they do not want him. There are a lot of football fans who would have no problem seeing him their team colors

He would be welcomed with open arms with Redskin fans

jackass
07-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Im sure he would. You guys havent had a QB since Doug Williams!! :finger3:

I hate those other teams mentioned. If he had to go somewhere else I would like to see what he could do for the Lions.

actsnoblemartin
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

I would love to see him playing in Washington

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Three days after a conference call with Packers team officials in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked by letter for his unconditional contractual release, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy weren't available for comment Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

gabosaurus
07-12-2008, 09:25 PM
What an egotistical prick. Sure Favre, betray your teammates and the fans loyal to you for so many years by turning your back on them for money. Come back with another team. Someone needs to level him.

red states rule
07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
What an egotistical prick. Sure Favre, betray your teammates and the fans loyal to you for so many years by turning your back on them for money. Come back with another team. Someone needs to level him.

If he can be a starting QB on another team, why should he stay in Green Bay and be a backup?

Abbey Marie
07-13-2008, 12:03 PM

I tend to agree, Gabs. I get a sour feeling about people who retire, then unretire. Plus, I think he may be on the juice. He's old, and yet lately he seems to be getting better than he was a few years ago. How does that happen in a sport as demanding on the body as football?

red states rule
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I tend to agree, Gabs. I get a sour feeling about people who retire, then unretire. Plus, I think he may be on the juice. He's old, and yet lately he seems to be getting better than he was a few years ago. How does that happen in a sport as demanding on the body as football?

If he can, and wants to play, why should he play the role as backup? That is like Baltimore telling Cal Ripken to cool his heels on the bench

Abbey Marie
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
If he can, and wants to play, why should he play the role as backup? That is like Baltimore telling Cal Ripken to cool his heels on the bench

Was he being forced to play back up when he decided to retire? I hadn't heard that.

red states rule
07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Was he being forced to play back up when he decided to retire? I hadn't heard that.

From what I have read, when he said he wanted to play - the Packers told him they had a starter

Abbey Marie
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Frrm what I have read, when he saiud he wanted to play - the Packers told him they had a starter

I could certainly be wrong, but I heard the back-up discussion happened when he said he wanted to un-retire and come back. Not before. If I am right, then I do not blame the team one bit for deciding not to take him back as their starter. I wouldn't either.

red states rule
07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I could certainly be wrong, but I heard the back-up discussion happened when he said he wanted to un-retire and come back. Not before. If I am right, then I do not blame the team one bit for deciding not to take him back as their starter. I wouldn't either.

The point is Abbey, if the Packers do not want him, then they should release him

Why should he be forced to stay with the Packers? I for one would ove to see him leading the Redskins offense. It would not be such a long season then

5stringJeff
07-13-2008, 07:33 PM
The point is Abbey, if the Packers do not want him, then they should release him

Why should he be forced to stay with the Packers? I for one would ove to see him leading the Redskins offense. It would not be such a long season then

The Packers are making a smart decision by retaining Farve's contract. If the Packers release him, he could play for another team, thereby hurting the Packers.

Really, though, I think Brett has two options. Option A is to ride off into the sunset, valiantly. Option B is to coach somewhere. He'd be damn good at it.

red states rule
07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
The Packers are making a smart decision by retaining Farve's contract. If the Packers release him, he could play for another team, thereby hurting the Packers.

Really, though, I think Brett has two options. Option A is to ride off into the sunset, valiantly. Option B is to coach somewhere. He'd be damn good at it.

Option C - Get compensation from another team and let Brett play.

5stringJeff
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Option C - Get compensation from another team and let Brett play.

That's a bad deal for the Packers, and they are wise to not follow that option. Favre signed a contract that keeps him from playing with another NFL team, and now he has to live with the terms of that contract.

red states rule
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
That's a bad deal for the Packers, and they are wise to not follow that option. Favre signed a contract that keeps him from playing with another NFL team, and now he has to live with the terms of that contract.

That could very well be his only option. However, I would love to see him playing again - and I would prefer the Skins

Abbey Marie
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Yup. Sometimes we have to live with our decisions. Whether they be clauses in contracts we've signed, or they be in our public statments of retirement.

red states rule
07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Yup. Sometimes we have to live with our decisions. Whether they be clauses in contracts we've signed, or they be in our public statments of retirement.

What are you Abbey? Some kind of heartless meanspirited conservative? :laugh2: