PDA

View Full Version : Libertarianism

07-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I was curious about our Libertarian board members. Do you have candidates running for Congress in your district?

5stringJeff
07-12-2008, 11:06 AM
In GA, no. We have a candidate for Senator, and two for the Public Service Commission, which regulates utilities (electric, gas, and telecommunications) in the state of Georgia. The only offices to which Libertarians in GA have ben elected are city/county level offices.

In WA, where I used to live, it is much the same way.

EDIT: Obviously, there's a concern about a lack of Libertarians in state office. The Free State Project, which has targeted New Hampshire, was designed to address those concerns. The FSP is designed to amass Libertarian votes in one state and elect Libertarians there to show the nation how Libertarians would govern, and raise support for the Libertarian viewpoint nationwide.

emmett
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I was curious about our Libertarian board members. Do you have candidates running for Congress in your district?

Allen Buckley (L-GA) is running for US Senate. His poll numbers are actually very impressive but he is no newcomer. Mr Buckley has been around the arena for a while.

Allen's signature is his stance against eminant domain. His support for better education in Georgia, which ranks way down at the bottom despite our famous "Hope Scholarship" program funded by our lottery is noted and he is a champion civil libertarian.

07-12-2008, 02:54 PM
well, why dont you guys run for Congress if there isnt another candidate?

5stringJeff
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Currently, the Hatch Act prohibits it. I'll have to wait until at least 2012.

DragonStryk72
07-12-2008, 10:11 PM
In GA, no. We have a candidate for Senator, and two for the Public Service Commission, which regulates utilities (electric, gas, and telecommunications) in the state of Georgia. The only offices to which Libertarians in GA have ben elected are city/county level offices.

In WA, where I used to live, it is much the same way.

EDIT: Obviously, there's a concern about a lack of Libertarians in state office. The Free State Project, which has targeted New Hampshire, was designed to address those concerns. The FSP is designed to amass Libertarian votes in one state and elect Libertarians there to show the nation how Libertarians would govern, and raise support for the Libertarian viewpoint nationwide.

NH isn't a bad place to live either.

None that I know here in virginia, but we're working on that. Thankfully, we have a pretty moderate that tends to lean slightly right, so it makes the conversion a bit easier.