PDA

View Full Version : S.C. May Cut Jail Time for Organ Donors

stephanie
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
WTF..

S.C. May Cut Jail Time for Organ Donors

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Inmates in South Carolina could soon find that a kidney is worth 180 days.

Lawmakers are considering legislation that would let prisoners donate organs or bone marrow in exchange for time off their sentences.

A state Senate panel on Thursday endorsed creating an organ-and-tissue donation program for inmates. But legislators postponed debate on a measure to reduce the sentences of participating prisoners, citing concern that federal law may not allow it.

"I think it's imperative that we go all out and see what we can do," said the bills' chief sponsor, Democratic Sen. Ralph Anderson. "I would like to see us get enough donors that people are no longer dying."

The proposal approved by the Senate Corrections and Penology Subcommittee would set up a volunteer donor program in prisons to teach inmates about the need for donors. But lawmakers want legal advice before acting on a bill that would shave up to 180 days off a prison sentence for inmates who donate.

South Carolina advocates for organ donations said the incentive policy would be the first of its kind in the nation.

Federal law makes it illegal to give organ donors "valuable consideration." Lawmakers want to know whether the term could apply to time off of prison sentences.

"We want to make this work, we really do," said Republican Sen. John Hawkins. "But I want to make sure no one goes to jail for good intentions."

Mary Jo Cagle, chief medical officer of Bon Secours St. Francis Health System in Greenville, urged senators to find an allowable incentive.

"We have a huge need for organs and bone marrow," Cagle said.

But Melissa Blevins, executive director of Donate Life South Carolina, said any incentive would break the law and the principle behind donations.

"It really muddies the water about motive. We want to keep it a clearly altruistic act," she said.

Under the proposals, money for medical procedures and any prison guard overtime would be paid by the organ recipient and charitable groups. The state would also decide which inmates could donate.

Corrections Department Director Jon Ozmint said he believes inmates would donate even without the incentive.

"There are long-term inmates who would give if they knew a child was dying," he said. "They're lifers. They know they're going to die in prison."

More than 95,300 Americans are awaiting an organ transplant, according to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. About 6,700 die each year.

http://www.townhall.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?contentGUID=59e62975-01e7-45d0-a8ae-b1f4a5034e88

LiberalNation
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
With the organ shortage this doesn't bother me too much. Many prisons have worker programs that can get you time of your sentence as well.

Mr. P
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Works for me as long as it's a heart.

Yurt
03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
180 days is nothing to a "prisoner." Besides, if they are willing to help society in a manner like that, don't you think they deserve a little time? As Liberal said, they get time off for "good or work" time already. In CA they can actually get up to 120 days a year.

The way I see it, 180 days is not going to change that convict. An extra 180 behind bars is most likely not going to effect society.

stephanie
03-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I kinda view this as one of those ideas......of going down a slippery slope..

I don't know??

Yurt
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I kinda view this as one of those ideas......of going down a slippery slope..

I don't know??

I often find the slippery slope theory, well, slippery....

It is an argument that any party/theory/side can make, the great intellectual:

What IF theory....

shattered
03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
180 days is nothing to a "prisoner." Besides, if they are willing to help society in a manner like that, don't you think they deserve a little time? As Liberal said, they get time off for "good or work" time already. In CA they can actually get up to 120 days a year.

The way I see it, 180 days is not going to change that convict. An extra 180 behind bars is most likely not going to effect society.

Depends on the crime, I guess..

Yurt
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Depends on the crime, I guess..

True, prison is over one year, less is jail. Still, giving an organ is no small feat, they will feel it. And if they are under 5 years, they are usually not an unreasonable risk to society.

shattered
03-08-2007, 09:30 PM
True, prison is over one year, less is jail. Still, giving an organ is no small feat, they will feel it. And if they are under 5 years, they are usually not an unreasonable risk to society.

Child molestation - not a chance.
Murder - not a chance.
Rape - not a chance.
Robbery - eh, probably.
Embezzlement - sure, why not.

Yurt
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Child molestation - not a chance.
Murder - not a chance.
Rape - not a chance.
Robbery - eh, probably.
Embezzlement - sure, why not.

1. at least 6 years, or are their organs not good enough, ah, they aren't the sick fucks.

2. life

3. at least 10 (ah hell, these bastards get the most stupid small sentences unless there is death(

4,5. good, you do differentiate between criminals. Both of these though could and do end up in prison.

shattered
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
1. at least 6 years, or are their organs not good enough, ah, they aren't the sick fucks.

2. life

3. at least 10 (ah hell, these bastards get the most stupid small sentences unless there is death(

4,5. good, you do differentiate between criminals. Both of these though could and do end up in prison.

I just don't think that somebody who has ruined another persons life completely, or taken another life should be eligible for ANY kind of release. In fact, I think the first 2 should be put to death, and the third tortured to death by their victim..

Guess I sorta believe in two eyes and an arm for an eye. :D

Yurt
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I just don't think that somebody who has ruined another persons life completely, or taken another life should be eligible for ANY kind of release. In fact, I think the first 2 should be put to death, and the third tortured to death by their victim..

Guess I sorta believe in two eyes and an arm for an eye. :D

That is what they are trying to give....