PDA

View Full Version : Beatles a Christian band?

-Cp
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=69569

Very interesting read....

gabosaurus
07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
As always, the worldnet wackos have no clue what they are talking about. The don't know what Lennon was saying or his frame of mind at the time.
Lennon was pretty much a lost soul for most of his life. At the time of that interview, the Beatles were in the process of breaking up and Lennon was leaving his wife for Yoko Ono, who pretty much had a spell on him. Yoko believed in a God, but not how we believe in God.
The Beatles believed Christianity was hypocrisy. Lennon blamed religion for most major conflicts, including Viet Nam.
Lennon's statement that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus has always been misunderstood. You should read about it.

-Cp
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM
As always, the worldnet wackos have no clue what they are talking about. The don't know what Lennon was saying or his frame of mind at the time.
Lennon was pretty much a lost soul for most of his life. At the time of that interview, the Beatles were in the process of breaking up and Lennon was leaving his wife for Yoko Ono, who pretty much had a spell on him. Yoko believed in a God, but not how we believe in God.
The Beatles believed Christianity was hypocrisy. Lennon blamed religion for most major conflicts, including Viet Nam.
Lennon's statement that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus has always been misunderstood. You should read about it.

Did the Telegraph UK "wackos" also have no clue? Or did you automatcially dismiess it because you're biased against the original source?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2298584/'Bigger-than-Jesus-The-Beatles-were-a-Christian-band'.html

Or how about the ShowBiz Spy "wackos"?
http://www.showbizspy.com/news/07132008/lennon-the-beatles-were-a-christian-band

Hagbard Celine
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, if you consider doing copious amounts of acid "Christian." :rolleyes: Nothing as creative and as groundbreaking as the Beatles could ever be associated with "THE DOGMA." I do get a kick out of knowing that hundreds of Christian families and their kids are singing along with "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" at any given moment of the day thinking it's "Christian." :laugh:

diuretic
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Lennon wouldn't have embraced the fundie version. I think he had a lot of time for Jesus' messages though.

namvet
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Lennon:
"We're more popular than Jesus now."......ah no.

im misunderstood !!!
"It's just an expression meaning the Beatles seem to me to have more influence over youth than Christ," he said. "Now I wasn't saying that was a good idea, 'cos I'm one of Christ's biggest fans."...........ah no

-Cp
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah, if you consider doing copious amounts of acid "Christian." :rolleyes:

Breaking the speed laws also "isn't christian" - what's your point?

diuretic
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Lennon:
"We're more popular than Jesus now."......ah no.

im misunderstood !!!
"It's just an expression meaning the Beatles seem to me to have more influence over youth than Christ," he said. "Now I wasn't saying that was a good idea, 'cos I'm one of Christ's biggest fans."...........ah no

I remember when he said it. That was exactly what he meant, that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ.

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 02:38 AM
And at the time, doc, they were.

I remember when he said it. That was exactly what he meant, that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ.

Shallow, ain't it?

Sitarro
07-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Lennon wasn't exactly the brightest bulb, look at the pile of shit he married. What he said was true since he was actually talking about attending church, who wouldn't rather go to see The Beatles than church. I would still go see them or most any decent concert than attend a church service, hell, I would rather cut the lawn than go to a church service.

I can't believe that no talent jerk, Yoko, is only 75, I have a Lennon print that will be worth selling once she kicks the bucket. Last I checked, it was selling for 6 grand, who knows what the price will go to after she shrivels up and expires...... that witch.

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 03:40 AM
You never have been big on depth, have you, zero?

Lennon wasn't exactly the brightest bulb, look at the pile of shit he married. What he said was true since he was actually talking about attending church, who wouldn't rather go to see The Beatles than church. I would still go see them or most any decent concert than attend a church service, hell, I would rather cut the lawn than go to a church service.

Have you considered the newly available medications? Self confidence beats the hell out of your lawn cutting self aggrandizing delusions, zero!!!!!!!!!

diuretic
07-15-2008, 04:25 AM
And at the time, doc, they were.

Shallow, ain't it?

I'm scratching around in my ancient memory now but I seem to remember John may have made this crack when the Beatles were given their gongs - MBE or something. For services to the British treasury no doubt :D

KitchenKitten99
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
The Beatles were overrated as singers. I do enjoy some of their songs, as they were/are pretty fun to listen to, but as actual singers, their vocal capabilities were mediocre at best. I do agree that many of their songs do reflect a sort of 'drug user' undertone. Then again, many of modern rock songs do too... Amy Winehouse anyone?

namvet
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Christ had fans????
:laugh2:

diuretic
07-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Christ had fans????
:laugh2:

Must have - they keep building monuments...:coffee:

Abbey Marie
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
But if you play their songs backwards, they are reciting the Koran.