PDA

View Full Version : Osama slams mag for cover image

namvet
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
just plain hilarious!!!

Aides to Barack Obama are blasting a New Yorker magazine cover that depicts “President Obama” in the Oval Office, wearing a Muslim-style outfit and doing a fist-bump with his wife, Michelle, who is dressed in camouflage with an automatic rifle slung over her back.

source (source)

an accurate portrayal for sure. this REALLY is him and his toad wife

http://elections.foxnews.com/files/2008/07/obama_newyorkercover_320.jpg

:lol:

Trigg
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I thought they got the smirk just about perfect:laugh2:

We all need to write the New Yorker and say thanks for trying to help the guy. With friends like that who needs enemies??

The Bare Knuckled Pundit
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Funny that the Clinton campaign actually displayed greater maturity; not only taking Amy Poehler’s lampooning of the candidate on Saturday Night Live in stride, but actually having Hillary appear with her wearing matching pant suits.

She may be broke, but at least she's still got her sense of humor. You go, girl!

theHawk
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
lol that is such a good picture.

I'd like to buy a copy and have it framed, in case the shitbag is elected.

diuretic
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
What I find a bit sad is that both sides of the debate didn't get the satire.

The caricature shows the wingnut view of Obama for what it is, utterly ridiculous, but this is how he is portrayed and the wingnuts believe the portrayal. The Dems have either deliberately missed the point or are exploting wingnut propensity to believe rubbish propaganda.

Did you miss the satire too?:laugh2:

manu1959
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM

The caricature shows the wingnut view of Obama for what it is, utterly ridiculous, but this is how he is portrayed and the wingnuts believe the portrayal. The Dems have either deliberately missed the point or are exploting wingnut propensity to believe rubbish propaganda.

no one has a sense of humour anymore......

namvet
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Did you miss the satire too?

every bear in wyoming got it. except 1 single man. the only one in the country.

Psychoblues
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Just who are these ridiculous liars? Obama said he had no response to the satirical protrayal of him and his wife on the cover of the New Yorker. Anyone that hasn't read the article behind it or understand the intent upon which the artist wished to expose is just another freakin' idiot. Oh, I see?!?!?!?!?! FauxNews!!!!!!!!! Did you check the National Enquirer for you horoscope?

Sheesh, what a bunch of turdlings.

actsnoblemartin
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
is it true, the new yorker is a liberal news magazine?

and does that change your opinion of this?

what is your opinion

cow boy :laugh2:

Just who are these ridiculous liars? Obama said he had no response to the satirical protrayal of him and his wife on the cover of the New Yorker. Anyone that hasn't read the article behind it or understand the intent upon which the artist wished to expose is just another freakin' idiot. Oh, I see?!?!?!?!?! FauxNews!!!!!!!!! Did you check the National Enquirer for you horoscope?

Sheesh, what a bunch of turdlings.

diuretic
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
every bear in wyoming got it. except 1 single man. the only one in the country.

I know two who got it - Yogi and Boo Boo - smarter than the average bear(s) :laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Whoever said that the New Yorker was a liberal mag as you intimate, marteen?

is it true, the new yorker is a liberal news magazine?

and does that change your opinion of this?

what is your opinion

cow boy :laugh2:

Is that something you've read or just another of your imaginations reproduced in your own shit, strike that, print?

stephanie
07-14-2008, 11:04 PM
the Obambams are the thinnest skinned people I have ever seen..

they really are a joke.......

President Bush has been called a chimp, now they want to name a sewage plant after him........have you heard him reply to any of this.....?????

Good Gawd.....if we have this little boy(the Obambam) as our President..........we are in deep doo doo...........we can't even say his MIDDLE NAME......................:laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
You don't read well, do you, stevie?

President Bush has been called a chimp, now they want to name a sewage plant after him........have you heard him reply to any of this.....?????

Good Gawd.....if we have this little boy(the Obambam) as our President..........we are in deep doo doo...........we can't even say his MIDDLE NAME......................:laugh2:

The only ones bleeding here are the most ignorant that don't see the irony or the humor of the cover cartoon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? Some of you idiots take it much more seriously than the artist intended!!!!!!!! Now, who does that poor reflection represent? You?

stephanie
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
You don't read well, do you, stevie?

The only ones bleeding here are the most ignorant that don't see the irony or the humor of the cover cartoon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? Some of you idiots take it much more seriously than the artist intended!!!!!!!! Now, who does that poor reflection represent? You?

Oh really.....go to Duunderground.......talk about IDIOTS taking things serousily............:laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Whoever said that the New Yorker was a liberal mag as you intimate, marteen?

what?

Is that something you've read or just another of your imaginations reproduced in your own shit, strike that, print?

my own shit, now that isnt very nice pb, common, you can be nicer then that :slap:

Yurt
07-14-2008, 11:24 PM

pssst.....hussein :coffee:

Psychoblues
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I'll take your suggestion with great reserve, stevie. You haven't been reliable in the past. Do have a link to Dunderground? I've never heard of it.

Oh really.....go to Duunderground.......talk about IDIOTS taking things serousily............:laugh2:

Oh, really?

actsnoblemartin
07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
do you take it as satire pb, or are you offended?

manu1959
07-14-2008, 11:38 PM

question.....how can one be offended about something that is not directed at them......sympathy is about all that one can have.....

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I took it as satire and as I think the artist intended as soon as I saw it, marteen.

But, I've been fooled before!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know it, tiger? Did you take it more seriously?

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Awwwwwwww, poor m'59...........

question.....how can one be offended about something that is not directed at them......sympathy is about all that one can have.....

Did you come to DP looking for sympathy? If you toe the line and repeat the talking points you'll get it, don't cha know?

Sitarro
07-15-2008, 02:19 AM
But, I've been fooled before!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know it, tiger? Did you take it more seriously?

You've been fooled, no way!:laugh2:

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 02:24 AM
I haven't been fooled?

You've been fooled, no way!:laugh2:

What kind of fool are you, zero?

Sitarro
07-15-2008, 03:12 AM
I haven't been fooled?

What kind of fool are you, zero?

Another reply that makes absolutely no sense, you are the poster boy for everything leftist.:laugh::laugh::laugh::lmao:

Psychoblues
07-15-2008, 03:28 AM
I am no "leftist" as you imply, zero.

Another reply that makes absolutely no sense, you are the poster boy for everything leftist.:laugh::laugh::laugh::lmao:

You don't like the message? Attack the message. Simple, ain't it? Why do you chase me? Do you have an abnormal attraction to my cyberself?

The Bare Knuckled Pundit
07-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Wearing a turban, sandals and a traditional Muslim ankle-length shirt, Barack Obama fist-bumps his wife, Michelle, in the Oval Office. Sporting combat boots with an AK-47 strapped over her shoulder, the two are warmed by a burning American flag in the fireplace behind them as the portrait of what appears to be Osama Bin-Laden watches over the tableau. Having successfully duped the American electorate, rumors that Obama is a Muslim Manchurian candidate have finally come to fruition.

At least that’s the image depicted on the cover of the latest edition of The New Yorker magazine.

While The New Yorker insists it is merely satire, the Obama campaign’s response has been anything but humorous.

Campaign spokesman Bill Burton roundly condemned the cover in a press release, stating that, “The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

Jumping on the indignation bandwagon, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds quickly e-mailed: “We completely agree with the Obama campaign, it’s tasteless and offensive.”

Kudos to the McCain camp for boldly standing with the Obamites in their crusade to drive the slightest display of a sense of humor, as well as political satire itself out of politics.

Providing fresh chum for the media feeding frenzy, the cover is double trouble for Obama’s image sensitive campaign.

Coming less than a week after Obama’s remarks on bilingualism set blogs and message boards ablaze with charges of elitism and shame of his fellow countrymen, the cover has thrust a favorite of the cultural and political elites into the heart of an ongoing debate over politics and class in America. Viewed in conjunction with Obama’s bilingual statement and his remarks earlier in the year to a San Francisco fundraiser regarding the bitterness of Middle American voters, it supports the impression that Obama is the champion of an elite class that views working class and evangelical Americans with disdain and condescension.

Furthermore, it fuels the fears of the 10 percent of registered voters that believe Obama is in fact a Muslim.

In a recent poll conducted by the Pew Center for the People and the Press, 79 percent of respondents said they had heard rumors of Obama’s purported Muslim faith. While those without a college degree outpace those with a degree by 15 percent to 5 percent believing those rumors, belief is relatively equal along racial lines with 10 percent of blacks and 11 percent of whites acknowledging believing them.

With 14 percent of Republicans, 10 percent of Democrats and 8 percent of Independents stating they believe the junior Senator from Illinois is a Muslim, the campaign is highly defensive in the face of anything that might reinforce the fear that Obama is a modern Muslim Manchurian candidate.

Clearly the issues of classism and faith remain to be addressed by the Obama camp, particularly in light of recent polls placing the presidential race in a virtual dead heat. With these lingering issues dogging the presumptive Democratic nominee, one wonders how much effort it will take Republicans to derail a candidacy that repeatedly shoots itself in the foot and is haunted by deep seeded misperceptions.

With friends like these, who needs enemies, faithful readers? Stay tuned for further updates as events warrant and the indignation grows.

red states rule
07-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Over at DNCTV, you know who they blame for the flap over the cover?

They are blaming us. They are saying we are to dumb to understand the real meaning of the cover.

If their messiah loses, will they use stronger language to shift the blame for Obama's loss?

Andrea Mitchell: Dumb Americans Might Not Get 'Sophisticated' Cartoon
By Scott Whitlock (Bio | Archive)
July 14, 2008 - 16:30 ET

On Monday's "MSNBC News Live," journalist Andrea Mitchell and Washington Post editorial writer Jonathan Capehart discussed whether Americans are not "sophisticated" enough to understand the attempted satire in the cartoon featured on the cover of the current New Yorker magazine. According to Mitchell, "...The only question there is whether [the cover] is too sophisticated to actually be perceived the way it is intended."

The image in question features Barack Obama in Muslim clothing with a flag burning in the background and is an obvious parody and an example of the liberal contention that conservatives are questioning the patriotism of the Democratic presidential contender. The Post's Capehart suggested that the uneducated voters in Middle America might not comprehend the high minded satire: "...The folks at the New Yorker are very smart, very learned, learned people, but once you get outside of the confines of Manhattan and the Upper West Side, you sort of begin to wonder if anyone-- if there was a conversation around the table about how will this be viewed by people who won't necessarily get the joke."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2008/07/14/andrea-mitchell-dumb-americans-might-not-get-sophisticated-cartoon

diuretic
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Not all but some wingnut dumbarses missed the joke :laugh2:

red states rule
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Not all but some wingnut dumbarses missed the joke :laugh2:

Would it have been a joke if the Weekly Standard ran the same cover?

Only libs can make racism into a joke

diuretic
07-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Would it have been a joke if the Weekly Standard ran the same cover?

Only libs can make racism into a joke

Did the Weekly Standard run the cover?

No?

Then it's not relevant.

The joke is that so many wingnuts that think the cartoon attacked Obama and his wife.

QED. :laugh2:

red states rule
07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Did the Weekly Standard run the cover?

No?

Then it's not relevant.

The joke is that so many wingnuts that think the cartoon attacked Obama and his wife.

QED. :laugh2:

So you are calling the messiah, known as Obama - a wingnut? He was very offended by the cover

Obama offended by magazine cover
07/14/2008 11:38 AM
By: Associated Press

Barack Obama's campaign says a satirical New Yorker magazine cover showing the Democratic presidential candidate dressed as a Muslim and his wife as a terrorist is "tasteless and offensive."

The illustration on the issue that hits newsstands Monday, titled "The Politics of Fear" and drawn by Barry Blitt, depicts Barack Obama wearing traditional Muslim garb — sandals, robe and turban — and his wife, Michelle — dressed in camouflage, combat boots and an assault rifle strapped over her shoulder — standing in the Oval Office.

The couple is doing a fist tap in front of a fireplace in which an American flag is burning. Over the mantel hangs a portrait of Osama bin Laden.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

In a statement Monday, the magazine said the cover "combines a number of fantastical images about the Obamas and shows them for the obvious distortions they are."

"The burning flag, the nationalist-radical and Islamic outfits, the fist-bump, the portrait on the wall? All of them echo one attack or another. Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to prejudice, the hateful, and the absurd. And that's the spirit of this cover," the New Yorker statement said.

The statement also pointed to the two articles on Obama contained inside the magazine, calling them "very serious."

http://news14.com/printarticle.aspx?ArID=597357

namvet
07-15-2008, 08:28 AM
the messiah was the only that didn't get. what's that tell ya????

red states rule
07-15-2008, 08:30 AM
the messiah was the only that didn't get. what's that tell ya????

and McCain who is still running a non offensive campaign

The cover was a bit racist IMHO

Remember, Obama said the racist attacks would come from the right

namvet
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
and McCain who is still running a non offensive campaign

The cover was a bit racist IMHO

Remember, Obama said the racist attacks would come from the right

don't forget the lower left 'cut' from Jackson
:laugh2:

red states rule
07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
don't forget the lower left 'cut' from Jackson
:laugh2:

I wonder if the messaih will ask his buddy John Ayers to leave a calling card at the New Yorker's business office :laugh2:

namvet
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
I wonder if the messaih will ask his buddy John Ayers to leave a calling card at the New Yorker's business office :laugh2:

now he says it was an insult to American Muslims. contradiction in terms???? oh my. could this start a riot??? oh i hope so. I need some target practice anyway. would he do this for whites???? no fuckin' way...........

link (link)

red states rule
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
now he says it was an insult to American Muslims. contradiction in terms???? oh my. could this start a riot??? oh i hope so. I need some target practice anyway. would he do this for whites???? no fuckin' way...........

link (link)

Was the messiah personally insulted? Will he send a beheading party over the offies of the New Yorker?

namvet
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Was the messiah personally insulted? Will he send a beheading party over the offies of the New Yorker?

yeah his wife !!!!!!!!!!

red states rule
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
yeah his wife !!!!!!!!!!

She is in charge of cutting other parts of the human body. She neutered the messiah the day she married him

namvet
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
She is in charge of cutting other parts of the human body. She neutered the messiah the day she married him

neutered hell !!! shes got his balls. if he lose's she'll give em to Jesse Jackson !!!!

red states rule
07-16-2008, 09:36 AM
neutered hell !!! shes got his balls. if he lose's she'll give em to Jesse Jackson !!!!

and she wil no longer be proud of her country again :laugh2:

Trigg
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Well if the only ones who are taking the cover seriously are ignorant than Why are you voting for IGNORANT Obama??

Honestly liberal MSNBC has been all over this mag cover for being insensitive.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11719.html

The Obama campaign quickly condemned the rendering. Spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement: “The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

We can sight sources of Obama's indignation all day. The republicans got the joke, it's the libs who have no sense of humor and have been jumping up and down crying about it.

red states rule
07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Well if the only ones who are taking the cover seriously are ignorant than Why are you voting for IGNORANT Obama??

Honestly liberal MSNBC has been all over this mag cover for being insensitive.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11719.html

We can sight sources of Obama's indignation all day. The republicans got the joke, it's the libs who have no sense of humor and have been jumping up and down crying about it.

The readers of the New Yorker are calling the office and expressing their anger. So the readers of the New Yorker must be hicks and dummies as well

Trigg
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
The readers of the New Yorker are calling the office and expressing their anger. So the readers of the New Yorker must be hicks and dummies as well

psychoblues needs to call them up and explain the satire to them so they can stop being so "ignorant". Obama might be beyond help though since he has no sense of humor.

midcan5
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Some more funny satires

The new yorker editor in lalaland smoking pot windows fogged as brain is
Italians in the mafia garb eating hoagies and pizza mumbling about cigars
McCain in a wheelchair, dribble on mouth, wife bandaged from last plastic surgery
Jews with wands ruling the world with piles of money all around, fiendish smiles
Irish drunk and bruised and incoherent in the gutter
Rednecks with 15 year old wives and three children, trailer with American flag
Blacks in Cadillacs cashing welfare checks wives standing behind
Illegals cutting the grass of new yorker editor writing about illegal immigrants
Priests fondling small boys while reciting the our father
Muslims with bombs and pictures of 72 virgins dancing in their heads
Episcopal minsters fonding each other
Republicans in bathroom stalls as octopus, hands and feet everywhere
Fundamentalists preachers buying 1000$ suits from the collection plate money as 800 numbers for prayer appear
Creationist looking in mirror as monkey behind them scratches his head
Congressmen taking money from lobbyist
Lobbyists giving money to congressmen
Lobbyists laughing over above
Americans really really really fat eating fast food watching Fox cheering on the loonies in 24
Bush slurring 'you can fool...', while Cheney shoots him, Rove counterfeiting in the corner

sure I missed many, add your favorites.

red states rule
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
psychoblues needs to call them up and explain the satire to them so they can stop being so "ignorant". Obama might be beyond help though since he has no sense of humor.

I am not surprised by his defense of a liberal rag. To moonbats liks Psychoblues, it is impossible for liberals to make a racist comment or be a racist. Only Republicans are racists in his fantasy world

I am surprised he is going against the talking points of the messiah. He might have to anser for it later :laugh2:

Kathianne
07-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Gotta say, the New Yorker inadvertently due to the stupidity of their readers, opened a door to enlightenment:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080718.wcorex19/BNStory/specialComment/columnists

No laughing matter

REX MURPHY

July 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM EDT

Oh, dear. There's such a fuss about that New Yorker cover featuring Barack and Michelle Obama. Worse, the cover is a cartoon.

It really is too bad that the Americans don't have human-rights commissions to swaddle cartoonaphobics.

Human-rights commissions are good on cartoons. The one in Alberta, for example, has been savaging Ezra Levant's peace of mind for almost three years because his now-departed magazine published the famous Mohammed cartoons. Chewing on his bank account too. The still unfinished quarry into whether the genial and courageous Mr. Levant is an Islamaphobic hate-monger has so far cost him almost $100,000. Cost to the two complainants so far: zilch.

Incidentally, one of them, Syed Soharwardy, withdrew his complaint 21/2 years in. Did he get a tap on the wrist for instigating so costly and disturbing a process and then – on a whim? on a soul-awakening? out of boredom? – cancelling it? Of course not.

This is one of the less-noticed glories of the Canadian human-rights insanity. Complainants float unburdened like puffballs in a summer breeze – blowing whither they list. Targets – Catholic bishops, Catholic magazines, fundamentalist pastors, genital surgeons, heckled comedians, school boards, fast-food joints, school-prom nights, Maclean's magazine – empty bank machines and call in lawyers while the “leisurely” process unfurls in an eerie, Kafkaesque slow motion.

Indeed, in the most celebrated case, against Mark Steyn and Maclean's, the Ontario part-time imam and self-help guru Mohamed Elmasry who set in motion the separate grinding wheels of three human-rights commissions (Ontario, federal, and British Columbia) didn't even bother showing up at the only one (B.C.) that actually deigned to have a hearing.

Mark Steyn showed up. Maclean's lawyers showed up. An expert on Buffy the Vampire Slayer showed up. (As a witness for the complainant. Who else would a TV vampirologist testify for?) The Yanks have the First Amendment. We have Buffy-sociologists...

Gaffer
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
We need some feed back from Said1 on this one.