PDA

View Full Version : Obama tells NAACP blacks must take responsibility

Yurt
07-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Obama tells NAACP blacks must take responsibility

The man who could become the first black president urged Washington to provide more education and economic assistance. He called on corporate America to exercise greater social responsibility. But he also received his most lusty applause as he urged blacks to demand more of themselves.

"If we're serious about reclaiming that dream, we have to do more in our own lives. There's nothing wrong with saying that," Obama told a crowd estimated at 3,000. "But with providing the guidance our children need, turning off the TV set and putting away the video games; attending those parent-teacher conferences, helping our children with their homework, setting a good example. That's what everybody's got to do."

He added: "I know some say I've been too tough on folks talking about responsibility. NAACP, I'm here to report, I'm not going to stop talking about it. Because as much I'm out there to fight to make sure that government's doing its job and the marketplace is doing its job, ... none of it will make a difference — at least not enough of a difference — if we also don't at the same time seize more responsibility in our own lives."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080715/ap_on_el_pr/obama_blacks;_ylt=At0CJd8S7UbQi8F9dtEAT_YEtbAF

while a good "speech", ironically he calls for others, government and corporations to take responsibility for taking care of blacks....

manu1959
07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
might as well ask col. sanders to watch the chickens.......